Assign Button 6 - Visual Index at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Assign Button 6 - Visual Index

I'm trying to decide if I can re-assign 'Button 6 - Visual Index'. How often do you folks use 'Visual Index'? The 'NX5' allows you to optionally access the 'Visual Index' through the 'key pad' under the LCD. I don't plan on using the 'edit' features of the camera, instead, I plan on performing all 'edits' on my NLE. While I might want to visually review my clips, I can't foresee a situation I couldn't take the time to access the 'Visual Index' through the 'key pad'. Am I making a mistake? Is there something a I'm not considering? I just don't think I'll be using the 'Visual Index' enough to justify taking up one of my 'assignable' buttons. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I plan on assigning buttons 1 through 3 with the following: Assign Button # 1 - Peaking; Assign Button # 2 - Back Light; Assign Button # 3 - Hyper Gain. Buttons 4 through 7 will remain in their default configuration for the time being. I may re-consider 'Button # 3s Assignment', it depends on how often I use 'Hyper Gain'.

Any thoughts, opinions, or notional musings will be appreciated.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Assign Button 6 - Visual Index

Mine's mapped to Peaking. The only time I use Visual Index is viewing using my remote.

No fear. If you don't like your changes you can alway restore. It takes a little time to work out what's best for you.

Good luck
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mine are set as
1 Steady shot
2 Peaking
3 Marker
4 Zebra
5 AE shift
6 Spotlight
7 Expanded Focus

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Victor/Ron...thanks for your thoughtful response.

Ron..I notice you don't have 'Hyper Gain' on your programmed 'Buttons'. Have you found you don't use it that much, or at all?

J.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You've only got to turn on hyper-gain for 3 seconds to know it's a real last ditch resort button. And even then I'd avoid using that setting.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Tom! I appreciate you insight, since I haven't taken delivery of my 'NX5', yet. I've 'downloaded' and printed every piece of information on the 'NX5' I could find, including the entire 'Owner's Manual'. Heh, heh! Yes, I admit it, I'm one of those.

Thanks from your 'cousin' in the colonies.

J.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I don't use gain above 9 db if I can help it. Have gain limit in auto set at 9 db and set manual settings depending on what I am doing.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders