NX70U arrived, on the fence - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: NX70U arrived, on the fence

Andy Lewicky,

Thanks for the constructive input. Yes I was testing at all the stops inside and out. Makes sense such a small sensor needs all the light it can get.

I think the problem is I am so use to nice broadcast quality from 2/3" CCD chips and use 1/2" CMOS as B cam that I can't go down to a very small single chip camera. I am going to look at a three chip camera for my safety camera.

Was also looking to use this while shooting a doc on my single/double handed offshore racing sailboat. But for that I am going to buy a different camera.
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Trustee

We're all looking for a little cam with broadcast quality, overlooking the fact that the newest consumer format, AVCHD 2.0 is a higher spec than broadcast. And what about 3D? And in the pursuit of broadcast spec and BBC acceptance, 10 bit, 4:4:4 and what not, are we ignoring mobile devices and online viewers? The little cameras are the ultimate run and gun shooters. Remember the adage, the best camera to use for any situation is the one you have with you. I'd love to have the low light of the F3, the sharpness of the XF300, the interchangeable lens of the ex3, the image stabilization of the TM900, the dof of the C300, the Red raw codec, and I want it all in a compact 3 chip water proof package that's affordable. C'mon...there is no single camera that does everything at ANY price point, broadcast or otherwise. The one that does more things better is probably the ubiquitous ex1, but we're looking for that kind of performance in a lightweight 1/3 chip package, with only limited success are we finding it. For my $0.02, the AC160 would tick a lot of boxes, but neither is it small or lightweight, and I see no point in getting it now until the announced 1080/60p upgrade is available.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Trustee

Duplicate post
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The top of the line consumer cameras from Sony( CX700 ) , Canon ( HFG10 ) and Panasonic ( TM900 ) take some beating when they are in auto or semi auto mode. The on board intelligent control is very fast and able to produce video to maximum capability of the camera. Going to full manual on these cameras, I think , removes a lot of their smart responses. Semi auto ( fix shutter speed, limit gain etc but leave the rest in auto ) is the best way to use them as this is much like a drive by wire system. Tell the camera what you want and let it do it. Things like getting the best focus and exposure for a group of people is easy for them. Not so easy or fast in full manual !! Automatically adjusting focus and exposure while tracking an object or person is another clever feat they do really well.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Tom, do not twist the accuracy of my post for your rants it is not appreciated!

Ron,
I had a Canon HF10 for use on a boat we race and it was a great little camera.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Paul, as something different you may want to look at the NEX5N. I think it has limited record times but if you start and stop it may well be something that has a real different characteristic.

I am a sailor too though sold my Laser 28 and moved to a cruiser, 2008 Hunter 31, recently as this is easier on everyone with the grandkids !!! Still race in JAM but its a bit like moving from a Ferrari to an RV !!! To be expected half the sail area and almost 3 times the displacement.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks Ron holding off for a couple of weeks on a third camera.

Laser 28 can be fun. 35 years as a pro in all kinds of classes and a few AC programs besides being a NA. This is what got me into shooting way back in the 16mm days. Got to love a life time passion such as sailing.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Major Player

I recently squired a NEX 5n and as yet I’m a little underwhelmed. I also have a Noelex 22 for sale as after bareboating in the Caribbean for many years out of Oyster Pond mainly sailing 41 ft Centurions the little Noelex 22 is a bit like the little NEX 5n; fun but hardly the real thing.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #24
Major Player

"Remember the adage, the best camera to use for any situation is the one you have with you."

...and that's exactly why Paul and other professionals take the time to test the cameras that they will be carrying with them on assignments and why they share their findings here.

I agree that there is no, one perfect camera for every situation, but, Paul is a seasoned professional going back to the days of film, I have to assume that he knows what will or won't work for he and his clients.

I can relay way, too many stories about great images that were caught with less then stellar cameras or by using second rate wide angle adapters.. "Great shot of that skyline...to bad it's slightly soft."
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders