Sony's CMU 'Newb' issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony's CMU 'Newb' issue

Greetings;

I've been trying to load the CMU from the supplied 'disc' and when going through the 'Installation' process, I get a dialog box the says '...you must connect a supported device to your computer.' I have my HXR-FMU128 hooked up with the proper USB cord, in and active USB port, but when I 'click' 'Next' an 'Installshield Wizard warning pops up stating, 'No supported device is detected'. I've tried every option available and am unable to complete the installation of the CMU. I'm kind of at my wits-end.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony's CMU 'Newb' issue

I think it only works with the camcorder attached, not the FMU. I just installed it yesterday and had no problems.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Christian...really? I'll try it, but that sounds 'cumbersome', to say the least. Like said, 'I'll try it.', and report back if I'm successful.

Thanks for the timely response,

J.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There's also a bit of a trick as to which USB setting - run into this with PMB (Sony's Picture Motion Browser). I think you have to set it to mass storage or it isn't detected ("auto" gets the message you've quoted, as for some reason the software doesn't "see" the device/camera).

Hope that is of help... been there!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Well fellas, you can kick me in the butt...it worked. I also 'Registered' my default file to auto load on my 2TB GTech G-RAID. Hopefully, I did that correctly. What confused me is my colleague and I loaded the same 'Utility' on his computer and downloaded it without the the 'NX5' attached. The we successfully downloaded a short video clip from the 'FMU128', which was 'not' attached to the 'NX5'. Now I'm beginning to get worried we weren't as 'successful' as we thought. Hmmmm?

I get very nervous when software reacts differently on two different workstations. I will admit, colleague's is a 'professional' work station at a very large television station. I'm sure his software is significantly more powerful then my Windows 7 Pro. His S/W is also optimized to deal with every known type of media out there.

Curious, very curious.
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Greetings;

I've been trying to load the CMU from the supplied 'disc' and when going through the 'Installation' process, I get a dialog box the says '...you must connect a supported device to your computer.' I have my HXR-FMU128 hooked up with the proper USB cord, in and active USB port, but when I 'click' 'Next' an 'Installshield Wizard warning pops up stating, 'No supported device is detected'. I've tried every option available and am unable to complete the installation of the CMU. I'm kind of at my wits-end.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

J.
Camera must be connected via USB for initial installation. After that, you can simply connect the FMU via USB to load files. Same applies to all P2 cameras when initially installing Panasonic drivers.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

James, there is a big difference between "installing" and "downloading". What we are trying to say it's that the installation requires to connect the camcorder to PC. Downloading clips doesn't require to connect the camcorder to PC, but you have this option too.
If you managed to install the CMU without connecting the camcorder, please share with us how did you do it.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Michael!

Christian...heh, heh! If I knew that, I probably wouldn't be asking for help : ) This is precisely why I'm beginning to think we somehow fooled ourselves into believing we were successful.

Today has not been a good software day for me.

Thank you all for the help.

J.
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Once you have it installed you don't have to keep the same download folder either. You can register any folder that you have created in Explorer under the tools menu. Then when you connect the FMU for transfer you can select any registered folder as the place were media is transferred to. If you do nothing it will be the same folder every time. I create a folder for each of my projects and transfer to this folder.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Ron...thank you for your thoughtful 'tip', I will probably do just that. File structure for any application is so important, and minimizing mistakes in the beginning helps to keep 'clean-up' manageable.

I'm all about the 'tips & shortcuts'. Since this is a whole new world to me, like a sponge, I'm soaking up as much knowledge as this 57-year old 'Abby Normal' brain will allow.

Again, I can't thank the 'old salts' around here enough for being so generous with their knowledge and the tolerance you folks have shown for my 'Newbie' questions and occasional 'gaffs'.

Warmest regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders