NX70 Not Holding Up Against Two CX500V's - Need Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX70 Not Holding Up Against Two CX500V's - Need Suggestions

I shoot mainly stage events (choral shows and plays). I have just finished my third since acquiring the NX70 and two Sony CX500Vs. Along side one another, the NX70 has a dull picture. The colors are just not
"popping" and are slightly off. I use all three in full auto mode. It's been this way in all three venues.

Is there a factory setting that I have overlooked that should be tweaked?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NX70 Not Holding Up Against Two CX500V's - Need Suggestions

Just as a follow-up, I turned on the "Intelligent Auto" feature and that seems to have helped a great deal as far as color, but the picture still seems much less sharp than the CX500Vs.
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Maybe your NX70 has a defective lens causing it to be slightly out of focus. My NX70 is sharper than my XR550V.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #4
New Boot

Are you using the active IS mode? I believe that degrades the sharpness a bit. Also, any F stop above wide open gets progressively softer. And corner sharpness definitely isn't the NX70U's strong point, which probably isn't too big a deal for end viewers, though it is a little disconcerting when you're editing...
Andy Lewicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay. I give. What's the "active IS" mode?
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Rey,

I think Andy means Active SteadyShot.

I can't comment on the quality, because I don't have a CX500 to compare the camera to.

Clearly there's a lot of negative feeling about this camera out there. I've been doing a lot of soul-searching about mine, especially in light of all the problems people are having, but (a) it seems to suffice for me (b) maybe I'm not fussy and (c) nobody who watches my videos has complained yet.

This doesn't mean the picture is perfect, far from it. I'm not a pro, and I'm not going to lose any money because of the camera, so maybe that makes a lot of difference to my perception.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I do believe the Steady Shot is active. I'll turn it off if that's the case. I just remembered that I put a u/v filter on the cam to protect the lens the moment it came out of the box. While it should not be a problem, I'll remove it. I have a show tonight, so hopefully I'll see a big difference after these changes.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

For those who may be interested -

After recording the remainder of our shows for the holiday season, I saw no improvement in the quality of the footage from the NX70U. A call today to Sony's support line yielded a quick "There's something wrong with that camera. You need to send it in for service." Luckily, I dont have another taping scheduled until February 18th, so now is a good time to get it sent in and taken care of. Hopefully it's quick fix or replacement.
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders