Long in the tooth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Long in the tooth?

Hello,
Going to be in the Market for another Camcorder.
Looks like the NX5U/AX2000 have been around for a while.

Matter of fact, most of the cameras on Sony's site are kinda getting long in the tooth.

Any place I can go to read up on any rumors or possible info on new products coming out soon?

I would hate to buy and then 2 months later Sony releases better and cheaper cams.

Thanks for your time.
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Long in the tooth?

Panasonic is shipping it's nab announced cameras that may interest you. It's not what u asked but related.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Les,
Thanks for that info.

If you had $7,500 to spend (Wedding Events - Low Light is critical) what camera(s) would you consider and why?

I had the AX2000 but was robbed this past weekend. I loved the camera. Great lens that got down to 1.6f for indoor receptions. I was thinking about getting it again but then was thinking it might be updated soon - or maybe I should look at another brand?

Thank you for your time.
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

While I do some events and understand the camera features that *I think* are good for event videography, I'm reluctant to map that onto Weddings as I just don't do them. I have a 3-chip ENG and a DSLR to do the various things I do as a one person outfit. They are flexible and cover a lot of ground. You may not need flexibility, you may need equipment more geared toward weddings. I will say that DSLRs are a pain for events. Especially the ones that stop recording every 12 minutes. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would grab a NX5U to replace your AX2000, the price difference is very small and the gains are well worth it...I own both and you can't go wrong going with the NX5U...
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

For just a little more you could pick up an EX3 from B&H. With the current rebate they are coming in at 7,800. There also seems to be some pretty good deals on used 1's and 3's on here lately. Probably guys gong to the new F3.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Long in the tooth? NX5?

I was wondering the same about the NX5...it's out of stock at B and H Photo/video. Wondering if something new is coming from Sony around the corner.

haven't heard anything though with regard to rumors...even for NAB.

anybody with some news?
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Well I'd be very surprised to hear the NX5 was to be dropped. Generally Sony cams in this category have a 4 year lifespan or so (see the FX1/Z1), though this might well be reduced for the HDV tape based Z5, Z7 and V1. When the NX5's lined up against the Canon and Panasonic opposition its performance:price ratio looks very healthy indeed.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Major Player

I'd love to know if there is a site similar to Nikon Rumors for Sony. lol

I've had my NX5 for almost 12 months now and still love it.

From my perspective the only thing I would want changed really woud be whatever it takes to take it to 4:2:2, (or better even) like the Canon XF series.

I simply love the NX5s ability to dual record to the FMU and SD cards at the same time. This is truly the best feature for wedding videographers because you get an instant backup of a once in a life time event that you can't reshoot! Plus SD cards are cheap!
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Philip Johnston from HD Warrior has made the following prediction for 2012 - he seems to know his stuff... and I would tend to agree with this one...

"Sony : I predict a NX7 camcorder with interchangeable lenses, 50MB/s, 4:2:2 and once again 10bit. This camera may take on the SxS media and be a direct competitor to the Panasonic HPX250 and Canons XF305"

I'm not fussed on interchangable lens or SxS - but an NX5 with 50MB/s, 4:2:2 and 1080/50p is what I want!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Space Hipster

I believe all of Sony's NEX/NXCAMs cameras use the AVCHD codec. That means, for now, a maximum bit rate of 28mbps in 1080/60P. And 4:2:0, 8-bit native recording onto SDHC cards.
If Sony makes a 50mbps, 4:2:2 NX5 replacement camera, wouldn't that make it an XDCAM? I would think the competition for the HPX250 and XF305 will come from the EX1/3 line, recording onto SxS cards. An EX5, perhaps.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I was hoping for a firmware update to the NX5 that might improve the wandering focus issue with AUTO mode and perhaps trick up the feature list eg Histogram ...
I see the NX7 is getting one Q1 this year according to several sites ....
I'm not expecting it ... but it would be nice .....
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
I'd love to know if there is a site similar to Nikon Rumors for Sony. lol
Yes, there it is: sonyalpharumors | Home
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I got my NX5U when they first came out. My other cams are CX700, XR500 and SR11. The sensors on the NX5U are clearly SR11 vintage compared to the XR500 or CX700 so my main wish is lower noise sensors like the consumer cams. Next would be some of the consumer cam features like spot focus in particular.

I think the Panasonic AG 160 is now a better camera so Sony may add some improvements to NX5U by firmware or introduce a new model to compete.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hewitt View Post
I see the NX7 is getting one Q1 this year according to several sites .....
Can you post links?
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders