Follow-Focus with NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Follow-Focus with NX5

Greetings...does anyone have experience with using a 'follow-focus' device on the NX5? Can it be adapted? What is required to make it wok?

Thanks in advance,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Follow-Focus with NX5

What do you mean by a 'follow focus' device James? I've done a lot with my NX5 and I let the auto focus follow focus.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Tom,
Follow this link.
Follow focus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mike
Mike Trewhella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi James,

I've got a friend who has a Redrock Micro on her NX5. She's using Redrock rods. For some reason she cannot us it on the normal side (left side when looking from the back to front of the camera). I can't recall why but there was something that was getting in the way. I've got a Zacuto Flipable-Reversable FF and we tried it on her camera. Worked without any problems.

Depending on your budget something like the ARRI MFF-1 would work and I know someone who has that and it's a really nice FF. The Chrosziel DV is another very nice FF. But the ARRI and Chrosziel are very expensive. Then there is the O'Connor which I have not gotten to try yet but it is suppose to be supper smooth.

For now I like my Zacuto but I got it used at a good price. I don't think I'd pay for the new price. I'm not a big fan of the amount of dampening on the RR Micro. To me it's a bit too heavy. But you need to try them out yourself and see what suites you. I do know some people who have gotten the cheaper FF's such as the ones you can find on Ebay for around $200 to $400. The biggest issue for those is that all that I've felt are pretty sloppy and have some amount of backlash. In my opinion if you're going to get a FF you might as well pay a little more and get one that you'll be happy with, or you'll end up not using it which is just a waste.

Don't forget that you'll also have to get proper support for it too. Then you'll want a Matte Box and all kinds of craziness that follows with filters.

-Garrett
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Greetings to all! I'll take a look at the suggestions and see which solution works for me. I hesitate to get deep into a system that only works for the 'NX5'. I can see an 'evolution' into higher-end Cameras (hopefully, someone else will be paying for it). Heh, heh!

Thanks Garrett!

Regards,

J.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi James,

I got a new follow focus in the mail today, so your post caught my eye. While I purchased the FF for my AF100 lenses, I just set up my AC130 on the same rig - similar to the NX5 if not just a bit bigger.

Nevertheless, it works just fine, but as mentioned, there are a few things that you need to be aware of:

1) Make sure you get a follow focus that has a gearbox that can be flipped to either fore or aft, otherwise the lens hood will get in the way. In the picture you can see what I mean. If the gear was on the side closer to the back of the camera, it wouldn't fit. I needed to flip it to fit the Panny.

2) You'll need a gear ring, but since the focus ring on a camcorder is so much larger than say a SLR lens, I would recommend you look into a form fitting type, sometimes called a "zip-gear." The ones I got from Lanparte are pretty close to perfect, but there are many brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000849.jpg   Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000850.jpg  

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Nate...thank you for the thoughtful post. I'll take a look at the 'Lanparte' brand. BTW, nice 'rig', I like your shoulder mount.

Regards,

J.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM   #8
New Boot

Nate,
That is a nice looking rig. Can I ask what shoulder mount that you are using? I am doing my homework on a system for my NX5U. Thanks in advance.
James S. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks, I just got it actually. It's the Tilta BS-03 Baseplate - about $300 including rails. The grips are Lanparte, about $95 (really nice!), and are surprisingly solid. Lanparte Follow Focus is quite nice as well. Not sure if its up to par with a zacuto, and certainly not a O'Connor/etc, but sure seems smooth to me.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
New Boot

Nate....If you get a chance would you please post a photo of the shoulder rig. It is very much like a puzzle and you seemed to have put some nice pieces together. Thanks
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Hello Nate,

I know what a FF is and does, I'm a courious what you are shooting that you use yours for?
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Hi Guys,

Though the photo shows the FF on the AC130, I've never really used one with that camera! However, now it know that it does work. Perhaps it might be useful for shoulder mounted operation and setting hard stops for focus. Sometimes it can be difficult to see on the 4" LCD if a 1/3" camcorder is in focus or not. Having a hard stop for the maximum focus distance (like during an event) and a minimum focus distance (front of the stage) might be pretty useful....

The main reason I use a FF is for lens operation on my AF100 camera. Things can get pretty tight with lenses, cables, monitors, rods, etc, and it gives a nice solid part to accurately rack focus. Typically I'm shooting corporate and web content (with lots of shallow focus B-roll), but also really enjoy doing short films - one of ours actually just swept a local Minneapolis film festival, best picture and all. Pretty excited about that!

One of the reasons I upgraded my baseplate and FF is because I like the speed and flexibility of shooting handheld, but needed something that gave me rock solid control over the camera and focus. I'll post some more photos of the rig I've concocted...would you prefer to see the AC130 or the AF100 on it?
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #13
New Boot

Nate, since the AC130 is closer in size to the NX5U I am sure that the people on this forum would appreciate it. Thanks for all of efforts.
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #14
Major Player

Nate...more pictures? Got my vote! I'm all about seeing how working professionals configure their 'rigs'. Experience is the best teacher and since I'm 'old', and DV is new to me, I like to see what the other 'kids on the block' are doing.

Thanks,

J.
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Trustee

Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000940.jpg   Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000941.jpg  

Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000942.jpg   Follow-Focus with NX5-p1000948.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders