Sony NX5U firmware upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NX5U firmware upgrade?

Hello everyone,

I know that this has already been mentioned a few times already, but i was curious if anyone knew of any firmware upgrades that will be available for this camera. recently sony released upgrades for the NX70 and FS100 providing these new features to the camera:

FS100:

1. Added 50Hz recording system (PAL): 1920x1080 50p, 50i, 25p and 1280x720 50p.
2. Camera Profile (camera settings can be saved to and loaded from a memory card).
3. Additional 4x and 8x Expanded Focus magnification: (with user selectable focus area).
4. Selectable ISO or GAIN sensitivity display.
5. Selectable Focus indication in FEET or METERS (E-mount lens only).
6. Selectable Shutter indication as EXPOSURE TIME or SHUTTER ANGLE.
7. Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and 1.66:1.
8. Display ON/OFF button enables Zebra and/or Histogram overlay onto video output.
9. Compatible with the new A-Mount to E-Mount adaptor, model LA-EA2. One push Auto-IRIS and continuous 15-point, Phase-Detection Auto-Focus operation with most Alpha A-Mount lenses is available. Lens metadata is displayed onscreen and stored real-time to image file.

NX70:

1. Enhanced performance of zoom rocker operation (Selectable zoom speed).
2. Dual Recording Mode enables simultaneous HD recording to its 96GB internal memory and memory card.
3. Added 1920x1080 30p and 1280x720 60p recording modes.
4. The EXPANDED FOCUS and HISTOGRAM buttons are now assignable keys.
5. Added Last Scene Review feature.
6. The Display ON/OFF button now also controls display of the Face Detection Box onto video output.
7. Display ON/OFF optionally overlays Zebra and/or Histogram display onto video output.

You would think that sony would have provided an update with the features they left out of there production model, I would have loved to have an histogram on board! maybe this just means that sony is planning on releasing there next line camera in this family sometime in the near future and will have the features in the next generation...

Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony NX5U firmware upgrade?

Looks like the NX5 series has been forgotten by Sony. The newer models had firmware upgrades which enabled some useful features. This camera is overlooked. It was the sacrifice generation. It's main competitor, Pana AC160, has more features than NX5, and with its newest firmware update the gap has grown.
Can't we do anything to get Sony's attention?
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

Probably not what you're looking for, but it IS an update of sorts....
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That is a long time ago though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I feel that if enough people complain to Sony, we can possibly push them to release an update. As the features that were left out, were mentioned for this model before it came out. But, what was Sony's thought process to omit them? They also advertise the NX5 as a professional camera, how can these "professional" features be left out?
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Trustee

Maybe they are going to include these features in the New NX5....

stelios
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If Panasonic AC160 and Sony FS100 can have 60p by the firmware upgrade, why can't NX5? How about the ability to record simultaneously on both cards (yeah, I know, I can buy the FMU but it costs MORE than the competition in this case)? The NX5 was on purpose stripped off some features even compared to Z5. And now, the newer models like FS100 have new features added by firmware. At least some of them should be available for NX5 too. It's a good camera but it's been surpassed by competition because they had firmware updates.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think there is a limit to what firmware can do. If the sensors are not good enough or the DSP not fast enough then there will be a limit. I like my NX5U and would be happy to pay for a hardware upgrade to give new sensors, 60P, 10bit 422 output, dual record to the cards etc. I have the FMU128 and use that most of the time. The overall controls and position are great for me so have no requests there. Might still be cheaper than a new camera !!!

Ron Evans
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I make use of just about all of the functionality this camera offers. The only main feature that i would feel would benefit me the most, would be the use of a "Histogram" As far as 1080 60P goes, i feel that the there are some limitations that will prevent that from even working on the chipset this camera has. However, who knows, maybe Sony will surprise us! The ability to record simultaneously i feel is not that hard to achieve, as it is possible with the FMU, that shouldn't be too much to ask for with HDSD cards. All in all i certainly think the camera is outstanding for the price it is offered at, not to mention the picture quality certainly is stunning! Maybe even an update to 35mb/s would be nice too! (without having to go the route of buying an external recorder for higher bit rate)
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu View Post
If Panasonic AC160 and Sony FS100 can have 60p by the firmware upgrade, why can't NX5? How about the ability to record simultaneously on both cards (yeah, I know, I can buy the FMU but it costs MORE than the competition in this case)? The NX5 was on purpose stripped off some features even compared to Z5. And now, the newer models like FS100 have new features added by firmware. At least some of them should be available for NX5 too. It's a good camera but it's been surpassed by competition because they had firmware updates.
Cristian, I saw your videos on Vimeo, excellent.
Please could you tell us what are the profile pictures you use?
Thank you very much.
Mauricio Rodriguez Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mauricio.
Mainly I use this profile:

black level: master black -15
gamma: cinematone1
black gamma: range middle, level -5
knee mode: manual (92,5 0)
color mode: type itu level8
color level: 2
color phase: 0
color depth: red -1
wb shift: lbcc
detail l level +2 (manual, -2, type 3, highlight -2)
skintone off

But I further modify the colors in post.
I use this profile only in good light, outside. Indoors I use the default profile.
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have an AX-2000. It's a shame, but it can't record 720p format, no 25p and no 50p.

It's the same machine as NX-5.

I know that AX-2000 is a "domestic" cam, but I'm not demanding dual card record, SDI output, time code sync or "professional" upgrade.
Simple 720p 50p recording. No more.

SONY, please, activate 720p record on AX-2000 cams. It's an easy firmware update.

I'm very near to change for first time to Panasonic, AG-160A in this case.
I'm very sad, our cams has been forgotten by Sony. :(
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Inner Circle

But you knew this about the AX when you bought it and decided these features were not worth the extra cost. Whenever we buy anything all of us weigh the costs vs benefits, price vs performance and make our decisions. It is perfectly reasonable to save money buying a model with fewer capabilities and features. But not to then complain that the cheaper model lacks the features of the more expensive one. You can look at two otherwise identical sports cars and choose the hardtop over the convertible because it's $5,000 cheaper, but you can't then complain that the cheaper car isn't a convertible. You made that choice. It's not reasonable to assume that they must now come back and make your hardtop a convertible.

In the states, the initial release prices of the AX and the NX were so close that most people said it was foolish to buy the consumer version. My understanding is that in Europe the price difference was much greater, so you derived the benefit of the lower price in exchange for fewer features, and that was a decision you made.

I've owned many cams over the years and usually bought the lower level models to save money. But with my most recent batch, I realized the models I had lacked certain capabilities I (didn't originally think I) needed, so I sold them and moved up to the pro version. But the responsibility for those decisions was mine, both initially and subsequently. In the interim I saved a lot of money and got a lot of good use out of the consumer versions.
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I agree with Adam. The differences are the marketing/ buying choice. When I bought my NX5U in Canada the price difference to the AX2000 was about $200. The NX5U had a lot more features, came with a bigger battery and a mic. Much more in fact than the price difference. I also got the FMU128 since in the beginning it too was a specially at about half price. They came packaged with Vegas 9 !! I hadn't upgraded my Vegas 8 so the inclusion almost paid for the FMU128 or would have been almost the price difference to the AX2000 !! You can see why I wondered why anyone at the time would buy an AX2000.

I am not expecting an upgrade now for the NX5U or AX2000 but I think Sony will be missing the boat if they do not bring out a model to compete with the new Panasonic and JVC models that are clearly aimed at the NX5U and AX2000 with better performance since they are at least 2 years newer. The differentiators would be new sensors, 60P, full 4:2:2 10bit etc as we have mentioned before. None of which is beyond Sony to produce in the same form factor. It already has all the buttons, connectors etc, that is why all the others have copied.

Ron Evans.
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

"But you knew this about the AX when you bought it and decided these features were not worth the extra cost."

Yes, of course. I know that the NX5 have:

- SDI output, FMU recording, PAL/NTSC recording, PCM audio (this are the KEY differences), and the fist two are hardware differences.
- Then there are a lot of minor differences: black/color viewfinder, macro focus, knee & color depth, time code, GPS, etc, etc.
- In the box you get a Mic and a big battery.

OK, the NX-5 is a superior cam than AX-2000... but why cut the 720p recording mode?

I'm not demanding nothing more than activate 720p recording mode, a thing that don't will convert an AX-2000 to a more expensive cam. In fact, I don't understand why they cut the 720p recording mode. It was a silly decision and now, 3 years after, near to release a subtitute, this colud be an act of good trade policy to its customers.

Again, I do not think that penalizes those who bought the NX-5. These machines are virtually identical and the main differences (SDI-OUT, ​​PCM recording, FMU) will never be added because they are hardware.

Nor do I want the most professional firmware updates (which could be done without problems, but it would be really unfair).
There are domestic cameras with higher recording capabilities ... from a couple of years. Panasonic and Sony recorded in 1080p 50p a year ago at least.

The AX-2000 is not a "domestic" cam (is a tapeless Z5), but is treated as if it were.

What is the price to enable 720p recording 3 years later? 500$, 1.000$, 1.500$... or nothing because SONY earn much more than money ... A loyal customer who buys SONY (monitors, Hi-8 cams, DV cams, DV players, lot of batteries, computers, etc.) for over 20 years and is fully drawn happy with his AX-2000 except that little upgrade.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders