Ax2000 Picture Profile settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ax2000 Picture Profile settings

Hi all

Like everyone else. I am trying to get the best out of the cameras I have and more importantly match cameras closer together. Unfortunately I find the ax2000 operators manual somewhat cryptic in what each picture profile parameter adjusts. Can anyone point me to a source or explain what each of the picture profile parameters actually changes?

The manual does not explain the why and when the camera should be adjusted away from the default settings. Googling does not help either. It is the why and when is what I want to fully understand.

Early on I tried using PP3 (for shooting people) but I did not like the results and I have used it in the default profile ever since.

One significant change I have made in my shooting style is I always custom WB using an expodisk or with white/grey cards.

From the manual:

GAMMA
To select a gamma curve.

[STANDARD] Standard gamma curve
[CINEMATONE1] Gamma curve 1 for producing tone of film camera images
[CINEMATONE2] Gamma curve 2 for producing tone of film camera images

COLOR MODE
To set type and level of colors.

[TYPE] Selects a type of colors.
[STANDARD] : Standard colors
[CINEMATONE1] : Film camera image-like colors good with [GAMMA] set to [CINEMATONE1][CINEMATONE2] : Film camera image-like colors good with [GAMMA] set to [CINEMATONE2]
[LEVEL] Sets a color level when you set [TYPE] to the settings other than [STANDARD].
1 (close to color settings of [STANDARD]) to 8 (color settings of the selected type)

COLOR LEVEL
To set the color level.

-7 (light) to +7 (dark), -8: black and white

COLOR PHASE
To set the color phase.

-7 (greenish) to +7 (reddish)

WB SHIFT
To set items for the white balance shift.

[LB[COLOR TEMP]] Sets a color temperature offset value. -9 (bluish) to +9 (reddish)
[CC[MG/GR]] Sets a color correct offset value. -9 (greenish) to +9 (magentish)

DETAIL
To set items for the detail.

-7 to +7

SKINTONE DETAIL
To adjust the detail of skintone areas to reduce wrinkles.

ON/OFF] Suppresses details in skin-tone areas to reduce wrinkles. Select [ON]
when you want to use this function. You can also select other areas.
[LEVEL] Sets the adjustment level. 1 (less adjust the detail) to 8 (more adjust the detail)
[COLOR SEL] Sets color items for the detail adjustment.
[PHASE] : Sets the color phase. 0 (purple) t 32 (red) t 64 (yellow) t 96 (green) t 127 (blue)
[RANGE] : Sets the color range. 0 (selects no color), 1 (narrow: selects a single color) to 31 (wide: selects multiple colors in similar color phases and saturation)

The detail will not be adjusted when you set [RANGE] to 0.

[SATURATION] : Sets the color saturation. 0 (selects a light color) to 31 (selects a deep color)

When I mix footage from my ax2000 with other cameras i find that the 2000 shoots redder and orangier and is 'muddier' than most. To colour match in post is problematic. I want to re balance the 2000 but I don't know where to start.

I hope to help anyone else that has the same questions I do.

Thanks

Last edited by Ray Turcotte; May 2nd, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Ax2000 Picture Profile settings

I've struggled a bit with this same issue on the NX5U, it being my first serious camcorder. There are a few posts on this forum about profile settings but it's mostly just people's opinion, and little in-depth discussion of just how different setting affect your picture (the manual's descriptions are charmingly meaningless).

I think most people figure these things out through trial and error, doing lots and lots of test shots with different settings under your most likely shooting conditions.

Barry Braverman's book "Video Shooter: Storytelling with DV, HD, and HDV Cameras" is a good source for a decent explanation of many of the settings you want to know more about. I'm sure there are others but that's one source I've found to be a big help.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt' I'll get that book. I have read all of the posts for the NX5U but they do not translate very well to the ax2000. But I have made progress since posting this question.

In vegas, I have leaned to better match cameras by adding sony levels media fx and turning down the saturation with the hsl media fx - the ax2000 is still redder/browner than other cameras but less so

So I plan on doing some trailblazing by shooting a 90% white card under controlled lighting and adjust PP settings until I stumble on a combination I like. Ill post my findings once I do the testing.

Pros have it easy when the line producer or whom ever hands them a PP to use - they don't have to guess like we do!

Ray
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This may be of some help:

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/p...utorial_e7.pdf
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt your link was excellent and you have helped me out a lot. The article defines exactly what each setting changes for the nx5u. With your comments, and with the test shooting I have planned, I can now figure it out

Thanks
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders