ITU709, Cinematone1 & 2, etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

ITU709, Cinematone1 & 2, etc.

I'm curious, when do 'NX5U' users use the different GAMMA curves? I don't particularly like 'x.v. GAMMA', it makes colors look a little too garish. I believe 'x.v.' stands for 'extra-vivid color'. My current GOTO Picture Profile (PP) is ITU-709. I chose this for no other reason than several DVInfo contributors use this setting in their PP settings. I'm particularly interested in anyone using the CINEMATONE 1 or 2 in their video projects and why they chose the option.

I'm trying to understand the different GAMMA Curve settings and when to use one vs. the other.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: ITU709, Cinematone1 & 2, etc.

Since no one else was able to answer my question, I thought I should at least complete the thread, adding what I've learned since my original posting.

I took a Workshop during the summer, the instructor is a well respected DOP with a list of current and past clients most would love to have. He uses Sony's Cinematone settings on his cameras almost exclusively. I've reviewed his public videos, the quality and "look" of his videos are excellent!

The NX5U has two Cinematone settings available on the NX5U, i.e., Cinematone 1 and Cinematone 2. If I'm reading the Owners Manual correctly, Cinematone 1 emulates pictures recorded on 'Cinema' color-negative film and the Cinematone 2 emulates pictures recorded on 'Cinema' color print film. Prior to the Workshop, I'd been using the ITU-709 Gamma setting, which has been an excellent Gamma profile.

I believe more testing is in-order to develop my personal 'look'.

Take care,

J.
Old October 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

James,
If you do a search with Picture Profile NX5 you should get enough reading to give you an idea about what people do in terms of gamma and such...

L
Luc Novovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Trustee

James

here is a link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...-settings.html
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Stelios! I appreciate the link.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Trustee

I have tried CINEMATONE 1 and 2 on my NX5 but I found them to be a bit darker than the ITU709

stelios
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Stelios...once again, thank you for your thoughtful response. I noticed a bit of 'darkening', too. I don't know if I'm seeing a more saturated color palette or just an overall contrast reduction? Hmmm.

BTW, I am familiar with the link you referenced, I've used a combination of several Picture Profile settings listed in the 'link' for my own camera, since most people recommended using the ITU-709 setting, I just started using it. I think there are some advantages to the Cinematone setting, but I just haven't performed a lot of testing.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Trustee

James
I am also using the recommended profile settings from Michael Johnston (except for the COLOR LEVEL: +2)
I am happy with these settings the only thing that I have noticed is that my indoor shots are a bit on the reddish side especially the peoples skin and I don't know what parameter to change.

stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders