NX30 First "Real Use" (Haiti) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Major Player

NX30 First "Real Use" (Haiti)

I was supposed to go to Haiti and document a medical mission this past week. Although I wasn't able to go I did allow someone who was going to use my NX30. I thought what the heck, its small and easy to use and i will just leave everything in AUTO mode.(yes insured as well) Better to try to get footy than not.

Now the person who used the camera has ZERO experience in shooting video and although the footage brought back to me lacked any direction and vision, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. In full auto mode; video was properly exposed, nicely saturated, clean and very stable in every shot. The shot gun mic also returned great results. There were shots in very poorly lit areas and the NX30 maintained a low level of noise with the in camera light used. Having a camera in my arsenal that produces excellent imagery and so easy to use is certainly a plus. Although the end result wasn't what i envisioned for this Haitian project i was able to use some of the footage thanks to the ease of use..... Best bang for the buck for sure!

JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NX30 First "Real Use" (Haiti)

My cx730 is basically the same camera without xlr and it's true that it has the best automodes I ever experienced with any camera I have used, I only try to do the exposure manually as a camera only judges on what it sees in general what could to be to underexpose in case of a strong backlight but that might not what it's supposed to do.
Also autofocus in very lowlight is quite amazing and the stabilizing is in a class of it's own, only never forget to turn it off on a tripod or it will bounce the image all over the place at every pan or tilt movement.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Actually yes there were some back lit shots that could have been adjusted better in manual mode but heck I'll take it..

JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for sharing this.... I'm looking at this camera for some projects where I need a small "run & gun" rig that works in dynamics such as what you've described.
Chaz Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders