NX5U clamp on handle ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U clamp on handle ??

Some time ago I saw somewhere on the net a clamp that was designed to be placed on the handle and allow the mounting of a small head ball or accessory. Dumb me I though I would surely remember and sure enough I forgot the name of the outfit selling it. Now I got a Ninja 2 that needs to be mounted on a NX5U... All that to say that if you know about what I'm talking about (or something that would work in the same way) I would appreciate if you could share the address. I'd rather have the Ninja 2 mounted on the handle, toward the back, than on the side or on some rods, which would need a base etc... and make the camera more bulky than I would like.
A long post for a simple question...

L.
Luc Novovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: NX5U clamp on handle ??

Luc...I used a small Manfrotto Ball Head (492 LCD) to mount my AtomOS Samurai to the 'front' Cold Shoe. You can also mount it to the rear 'Cold Shoe' Mount, but I would imagine the 'Ninja' would not be in a good place to see the view-screen. The other option would be an articulating arm, like an 'Israeli Arm'. I haven't had any luck with 'articulating arms', but I bought a cheap version, so I don't think my opinion on 'arms' is valid. Other considerations include, overall weight, increased Center of Gravity. It's amazing how quickly everything adds up to additional pounds on your tripod. Another option would be to attach the 'Ninja' to a tripod leg using a Manfrotto 'Big Clamp'. This idea was discussed sometime back, and it seemed like a good idea as long as your camera rig is in a stationary position, the OP was a sports videographer capturing High School sports. However, if you've got to move, your choices are back to the front/rear cold-shoes or an 'arm'.

There have been requests made to by some video professionals for a 'side-mount' 'Ninja and Samurai' with no LCD. Strictly a video recorder. So, go figure.

I'm not sure I helped, but these were some of the 'issues' I worked through.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you James.
The clamp I saw was more like that:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...th_1_4_20.htmlbut made to acomodate the size and shape of the NX5U (and similar) handle bar.
If I can't find it again I may just go with this one or a nano from Manfrotto:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ano_Clamp.htmlThey have various size.
And with a cold shoe on top, it would acomodate the ball head you suggest, which seems to be a very good fit for the Ninja 2.
I can't use my front cold show which I use for a raiser supporting microphones. That keep them away from the lens and camera noises.

Best regards,

L.
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ooops! Seems like the links didn't make it.
So, here they are...:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968689-REG/impact_atom_clamp_with_1_4_20.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682652-REG/Manfrotto_386BC_386B_Nano_Clamp.html
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
There have been requests made to by some video professionals for a 'side-mount' 'Ninja and Samurai' with no LCD. Strictly a video recorder. So, go figure.
In this case the Nano Flash seems like a good candidate. Somewhat more expensive, but with a very good reputation amongst heavy users. I like their minimalist approach. But the price keeps me at a safe distance... One of the (good) reason I ordered the Ninja 2.

nanoFlash | Convergent Design

L.
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you're still looking Luc best idea I've heard lately is RAM mounts.

You can get a ball with 1/4" thread to go where one hot shoe is (they're removable), a medium or long arm then another ball into your EVF or monitor.

I use them on POV cameras on race cars no issue at all, no doubt you'd get good results. That's what I'll be doing when I get my EVF.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for pointing out RAM mount. They seem to offer a range of useful products.
Best.
L.
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
New Boot

How is the footage from the ninja 2 with the NX5u? Is it worth picking up?
Steve Tedesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders