Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #61
Contributor

Re: Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder

I have the Sony Z7U and Z5U and sometimes I use the shot transition feature that both of these cameras have for doing smooth rack focus. Does the NX3 also have a shot transition feature?
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Gradin View Post
I have the Sony Z7U and Z5U and sometimes I use the shot transition feature that both of these cameras have for doing smooth rack focus. Does the NX3 also have a shot transition feature?
It doesn't have anything called "shot transition", but what you describe sounds to me like touch focus, which the NX3 does have. It's called "spot focus".

Touch something on the LCD and the focus point will shift to that area.
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
. . what you describe sounds to me like touch focus, which the NX3 does have. It's called "spot focus".
Shot Transition allows you to store settings for focus and zoom (as well as iris, gain, shutter and WB) and then switch between them. Good for a long zoom and focus change, or simply as a custom preset indoor to outdoor exposure/WB change. You could also set transition curve and time.

I think at this level the last one to have it was the Z5. The NX5 didn't have shot transition either.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #64
Inner Circle

My NX5U does not have shot transition or spot focus but my FX1 did have shot transition. I think the NEX-EA50 has shot transition and spot focus.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 01:09 PM   #65
Regular Crew

John,

Would it be possible to shoot a minute at mpeg4 and upload it?

I have two NX5U's The only reason I'm considering the NX3 is for its mpeg4 ability. I currently deliver mpeg4 files to my clients and this would save a lot of processing time.

thanks

Robert Rinkewich

Robert Rinkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:10 AM   #66
Major Player

Hi Robert, I'll get an MP4 loaded shortly. Stephen Gradin - no shot transition feature sorry.

In the meantime, I can report just finishing a wedding with the NX3 and it was BRILLIANT. Fantastic in low light reception and great images. Here are a few real world 1080/50p clips.

fern: https://mega.co.nz/#!OZ9lUQYR!LcDins...j0eXD6ELoEIUhI
leaf: https://mega.co.nz/#!nAdSyAQC!Pgx_-A...jrLsV-O423x7NE
crowd: https://mega.co.nz/#!qAUSURpK!l0Bk9_...oYRIL1tx70cH0g
guest1: https://mega.co.nz/#!ucsRXQ5D!X7cA2J...Q_ZThgpGzZX50s
guest2: https://mega.co.nz/#!WBVFXLjI!Zf_VD7...QLoB120payKQQQ

Here's a clip featuring the 40x zoom and I've demonstrated both the creep (Michael Warren) and the ramping (for Ron Evans)

https://mega.co.nz/#!yMtAAY6B!s8R8TN...moSo6GeAf-7ifU
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Here's a clip featuring the 40x zoom and I've demonstrated both the creep (Michael Warren) and the ramping (for Ron Evans)
Thanks John.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:39 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Thanks John. Zoom is impressive. Ramp is not as smooth as NX5U and does appear to start and stop much like my FDR-AX1.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:

In the meantime, I can report just finishing a wedding with the NX3 and it was BRILLIANT.
John, thanks for all your contributions and opinions on the NX3. Really close to pulling the trigger on this in the next week or so. Any new thoughts or insight you have experienced with yours? I have a sports season contract starting soon and doesn't look like I'll be able to wait until NAB to make a choice.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Hi Robert, I'll get an MP4 loaded shortly. Stephen Gradin - no shot transition feature sorry.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #71
Major Player

Hi Guys

Any thoughts whatsoever on any of my below 2 questions would be really appreciated.

Am confused about the various memory card options with this camera (I've come from tape), and am hoping that I can persuade my company to invest in the HXR-NX3.

Two questions:

1. Which of the below memory cards (or stick?!) would you suggest for maximum quality and maximum recording time which are compatible with the HXR-NX3?

Basically want to have sufficient memory for a long filming day at high quality, but also to have backup cards also.

MS-HX32B
(32 GB, 16 GB, 8 GB) Memory Stick PRO-HG DuoTM

SF-32UX
(32 GB, 16 GB, 8 GB) SD/SDHC Memory Card

MS-PX64
(64 GB, 32 GB, 16 GB) Memory Stick PRO-HG DuoTM Mirroring Memory Stick

2. What brand/type of cable would connect the HXR-NX3 to the new iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5?

3. Any rain covers/cases that might be suitable for the camera?

Again, any thoughts or suggestions whatsoever would be really appreciated!

Warm regards

Last edited by Peter Dunphy; February 13th, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #72
Major Player

1. Any suggestions about what quality rain housing/cover would be appropriate for this camera?

2. Would the Rode NTG-1 Microphone be okay to use on this camera (not getting in shot)?

Any suggestions whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunphy View Post
Hi Guys

Any thoughts whatsoever on any of my below 2 questions would be really appreciated.

Am confused about the various memory card options with this camera (I've come from tape), and am hoping that I can persuade my company to invest in the HXR-NX3.

Two questions:

1. Which of the below memory cards (or stick?!) would you suggest for maximum quality and maximum recording time which are compatible with the HXR-NX3?

2. What brand/type of cable would connect the HXR-NX3 to the new iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5?

Warm regards
With regards to point 1, I talked about this on page 2 of this thread, post # 29:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1824428

The Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards are available up to 64GB, which is a supported size in the NX3, and should give about 5 hours record time @ 1080p 60fps. Since there are 2 slots, you can either record 10 hours non stop in relay rec (over 2x the life of a NP-F970 battery, so plug in to AC), or 2 copies of the same footage in simultaneous rec mode.

With regards to your point 2... I wouldn't!!!
Connecting any current flash based camera with a cable is only going to give you USB2 offload speeds. This is sloooooow.

You mention that you are going to do loooooong shoots, so you probably want to get that material downloaded as fast as possible. Follow my advice in post 29, and you can get the data off your camera in a fraction of the time that using a USB2 cable directly to the camera would (other than to do firmware upgrades, I never actually plug any flash based camera into my computer directly to download footage... too slow).

Regarding your final point, the rain cover... I don't have any direct experience with this, but the NX3, the NX5, and AX1 are all very, very similar in size & shape to the Z5 and Z1 tape based cameras, so if you had a preferred solution for one of those tape models, it will likely work on the NX3.
Juan A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #74
Regular Crew

If anyone has this camera, I would greatly appreciate if you could post a short 1 or 2 min clip of the "network quality" mp4 output from the camera.

I need to make a decision on purchase in the next week. I'm either getting another NX5U or the NX3, but it depends on what the lower quality MP4 files look like. I do a lot of events where we sell an HD MP4 file to the customer for upload to the internet. It would be a great time saver to be able to give them the file without processing time.

Thanks

Rob
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info on this camera. I'm really considering upgrading to this camera from my XHA1s. One feature that I would find useful in my work would be a pre-record buffer. I haven't found any mention of this feature on this camera. Does anyone know if this camera has this feature? From my understanding the Canon XA20 and XA25 cameras have a 3 second pre-record buffers. Those are a couple of other cameras I'm considering.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders