DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/520551-sony-announces-hxr-nx3-professional-hd-camcorder.html)

John Knight February 22nd, 2014 05:37 PM

Re: Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder

Hey guys, so sorry I haven't replied - 3 weddings a week at the moment and finally got a break this morning.

Robert - here is an MP4 file for you... FX (highest quality) mode in 720/50p

https://mega.co.nz/#!WAMhHbAT!Jg4hJv...IwJbLVQG_FoP_s

Tony - have used camera at about 6 weddings and a couple of corporate shoots. For my needs it is absolutely wonderful. I use it as a main tripod mounted cam, and mix with the NX70 (medium) and GoPro (super wide). It's just got a wonderful image and not loaded with gimmicks. Rock solid SD card recording and all the pro features I need (ND filters, full manual control, XLR inputs, HDMI output). Only annoyed thing is not being able to use LCD and viewfinder at same time. But I can live with that.

Stephen - no pre-record buffer sorry.

Jon Robertson February 25th, 2014 02:48 AM

Hi John

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. Very much appreciated. Just wondering if I could fire a couple of questions at you. Like you, I would be coming from a couple of Z7s. It's been a great camera to use but the HDV codec has run its course for me and I don't really fancy messing around with an external recorder. Just an extra thing to look after and set up which is one extra thing you don't really need as a one man band in wedding videography.

One of the things I like about the Z7 is the lens. Great that you can set it at f2.0 and it will stay there throughout the zoom range. Just wondering if you could let me know how the NX3 performs? I think it ramps down to f3.4 at the end of the 20x zoom. Could you let me know what it ramps down to at 12x or roughly half way through the zoom range. Improved low light over the Z7 would be great but I'm hoping it's not too hampered by the lens.

That leads me onto my next one. How is the low light over the Z7? Noticeably brighter and cleaner?

Many thanks

Jon

Noa Put February 25th, 2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1833447)
Robert - here is an MP4 file for you... FX (highest quality) mode in 720/50p

https://mega.co.nz/#!WAMhHbAT!Jg4hJv...IwJbLVQG_FoP_s

Offtopic but that mega cloud storage looks like an easy way for clients to download stuff, didn't hear about that one before.

Robert Rinkewich February 26th, 2014 10:35 AM

John,

Thank you very much for the clip. I believe the quality of the mp4 out of the camera would work for my purposes.

After weighing the options on the nx3 and nx5u I had to stick with the NX5u for my sporting events. I have two NX5u's already. We use the fmu128 as the backup. The two card slots on the nx5u allow us to quickly switch to a new card when a new event starts. With the nx3, my backup would take up one of the slots. Which would leave me only 1 slot for my main cards, that I have to switch quickly.

Thank you again

Unregistered Guest February 26th, 2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rinkewich (Post 1834036)
After weighing the options on the nx3 and nx5u I had to stick with the NX5u for my sporting events. I have two NX5u's already. We use the fmu128 as the backup. The two card slots on the nx5u allow us to quickly switch to a new card when a new event starts. With the nx3, my backup would take up one of the slots. Which would leave me only 1 slot for my main cards, that I have to switch quickly.

I also think I'll continue to use my NX5U because of what you mentioned above. The greater problem with the NX3, IMO, is that you can't use the viewfinder and LCD panel at the same time.

Robert Rinkewich March 4th, 2014 11:56 AM

Ed,

Can you use the LCD and viewfinder at the same time on the nx5u? Unless there's a menu setting I'm missing, my viewfinder is off when the lcd is open.

Ron Evans March 4th, 2014 12:12 PM

Page 84 in the manual. VP Power mode. Auto turns off when LCD is open, ON is on all the time.

Ron Evans

Unregistered Guest March 4th, 2014 12:30 PM

Yes, here's that section of the NX5U manual:

"AUTO
Turns on the viewfinder while you close the LCD panel or record in mirror mode.

ON
Always turns on the viewfinder"

Robert Rinkewich March 4th, 2014 02:58 PM

Thank you, I didn't know that.

I saw that setting before but never tried it. I thought it was like the PD-170 setting that would send the viewfinder data/info out the video out.

Robert Rinkewich March 4th, 2014 03:04 PM

By the way for the U.S. folks B&H has the NX5U with instant savings of $250, plus the sony $400 rebate. The $250 sale started over the weekend or the end of last week. I had purchased another one last week and they honored the discount and refunded the $250 to me.

I'm tempted to also pickup an NX70, its got a $150 instant savings and a $500 rebate. Makes it $1899

I think the instant savings are until March 6

Peter Dunphy March 7th, 2014 06:16 AM

Company purchased one of these so now we have to get memory cards and other accessories for it.

Might these 128GB SDXC cards be compatible with the camera?

SanDisk SDSDX-128G-X46 (SDSDX128GX46) 128GB SDXC Extreme HD Video 45MB/s UHS-1 Card

Or might there be other compatible 128GB SDXC cards with higher MB/s ?

Michael Warren March 7th, 2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Dunphy (Post 1835525)
Company purchased one of these so now we have to get memory cards and other accessories for it.

Might these 128GB SDXC cards be compatible with the camera?

SanDisk SDSDX-128G-X46 (SDSDX128GX46) 128GB SDXC Extreme HD Video 45MB/s UHS-1 Card

Or might there be other compatible 128GB SDXC cards with higher MB/s ?

The manual (page 25) says only 64GB cards have been verified, so there might be some risk in going higher.

Tans Mark March 9th, 2014 08:41 AM

Hello,

I have found this Panasonic HMC-150 vs Sony HXR NX3 comparsion video.

Any idea why Sony is loosing focus in auto mode when fast panning is done (from 1:43) ?

Is auto focus this bad as it has shown in this video ?

Peter Dunphy March 10th, 2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Warren (Post 1835531)
The manual (page 25) says only 64GB cards have been verified, so there might be some risk in going higher.

Thanks Michael.

Anyone here used 128GB cards in this camera with any success?

Tony Maceo April 5th, 2014 10:31 PM

Big thanks to John and all the info from everyone on the NX3. Purchased today and will be my first professional camcorder ownership, though I've rented in the past. Moving up from three Panasonic TM-900 models that are still serving me well. Since there's no NX3 sub-category...I assume the NX5u forum is the next best place to go to learn and exchange information. Need to find a good bag and rain cover.