DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/520551-sony-announces-hxr-nx3-professional-hd-camcorder.html)

Kevin Janisch April 9th, 2014 07:44 PM

Re: Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder

Hi Tony, how would you say the NX3 footage compares to your TM900s? Not apples to apples I know but just a point of reference as I have a TM900. Thanks.

Tony Maceo April 14th, 2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch (Post 1840826)
Hi Tony, how would you say the NX3 footage compares to your TM900s? Not apples to apples I know but just a point of reference as I have a TM900. Thanks.

While I haven't been able to delve into a close comparison yet, The most obvious difference is in low light situations. Yes it's comparing three "almost" 1/3 sensors to the TM900's three 1/4 sensors, but the NX3 is easily visible less noise. Highlights are better and the NX3 "Clear Zoom" vs TM900 "Intelligent Zoom" leaves no question of the newer technology advantage.
I still have my TM900's for backups. If you want to see some type of video footage comparison, let me know what type of scene/shot you'd like to see them go up against.

Kevin Janisch April 15th, 2014 02:49 AM

Great, thank you. That was helpful.

Alan Craven June 7th, 2014 12:39 AM

I have read through this, and other threads on the NX3, but cannot find any objective mention of the "Clear Image Zoom".

Sony make claims for this feature that, to me, seem extravagant.

Has anyone used this feature, and are Sony's claims justified? Is it really superior to the useless digital zoom that many cameras have?

Peter Dunphy June 26th, 2014 06:24 AM

I filmed this with the HXR-NX3, footage not graded, straight from the camera

Peter Dunphy June 26th, 2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Craven (Post 1848010)
I have read through this, and other threads on the NX3, but cannot find any objective mention of the "Clear Image Zoom".

Sony make claims for this feature that, to me, seem extravagant.

Has anyone used this feature, and are Sony's claims justified? Is it really superior to the useless digital zoom that many cameras have?

It's a gorgeous clear zoom, you have my word. There's a shot of the Queen about to have her meal in the video I posted in my previous post -- I was very far away high-up on a balcony but able to zoom right in and it seemed to preserve all the detail.

Robert Rinkewich November 14th, 2014 04:20 PM

John,

I finally got a chance to see an NX3 at a local shop. Will the MP4 file record to one card, and HD to the second slot? I couldn't seem to get that to work on the demo unit I was looking at.

Thanks

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1833447)
Hey guys, so sorry I haven't replied - 3 weddings a week at the moment and finally got a break this morning.

Robert - here is an MP4 file for you... FX (highest quality) mode in 720/50p

https://mega.co.nz/#!WAMhHbAT!Jg4hJv...IwJbLVQG_FoP_s

Tony - have used camera at about 6 weddings and a couple of corporate shoots. For my needs it is absolutely wonderful. I use it as a main tripod mounted cam, and mix with the NX70 (medium) and GoPro (super wide). It's just got a wonderful image and not loaded with gimmicks. Rock solid SD card recording and all the pro features I need (ND filters, full manual control, XLR inputs, HDMI output). Only annoyed thing is not being able to use LCD and viewfinder at same time. But I can live with that.

Stephen - no pre-record buffer sorry.

Michael Warren November 14th, 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Rinkewich (Post 1867770)
Will the MP4 file record to one card, and HD to the second slot?

I haven't tried myself, but according to the manual it will. See page 36.

Michael Warren November 14th, 2014 04:26 PM

BTW, here's a short video I made with the NX3.

Lake Mitchell With a Sony HXR-NX3 - mike-warren.net

Tony Maceo November 15th, 2014 01:14 AM

Yes, it will record proxy 720p/3Mbps mp4 to slot B and AVCHD to Slot A. Note, this mp4 option is not available if you have 1080/60p selected.

I've used this to upload small clips (15-30 seconds) to youtube via the Send To Smartphone option.
Camera--->Smartphone--->Youtube Viewable---> = approx 5 minutes.

Stephen Gradin November 15th, 2014 09:19 AM

Robert, I have had 2 of these cameras since February. Although I do not use this feature yet, I have tested it and from my experience the MP4 file and the HD file both get recorded on the same card, in different folders. No issues, works great.

Stephen Gradin November 15th, 2014 09:40 AM

Is anyone having issues with steadyshot on this camera? I tried using it on long shots from a tripod but once the camera settles down, it automatically shuts off. On handheld shots it works better, but again, if you really hold the camera steady (on a wider shot usually) it shuts off. I literally have to shake the camera on a long shot to get the steadyshot to come back on. The active mode is fantastic, especially on long shots, just wish it would stay on until I shut it off (I use a soft button on side of camera to change from off to standard to active, works great). I updated both of my NX3 cameras to newest 1.03 firmware but that did not fix, what I consider, a problem with this camera.

Tony Maceo November 16th, 2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Gradin (Post 1867827)
Robert, I have had 2 of these cameras since February. Although I do not use this feature yet, I have tested it and from my experience the MP4 file and the HD file both get recorded on the same card, in different folders. No issues, works great.

Damn, that's true. I was thinking AVCHD Simul setting. Yes what Stephen said, which surprised me at first.

Tony Maceo November 16th, 2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Gradin (Post 1867829)
Is anyone having issues with steadyshot on this camera?

I haven't noticed that. I have two that pull double duty handheld and tripod. I have to go into settings to turn off Ss when on tripod.

Michael C. Ray November 17th, 2014 09:59 AM

Any ideas on the slider used in this production?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1823826)
Making of the UK promo video for the Sony HXR-NX3:

Sony HXR-NX3 Behind the scenes, making of (visuals.co.uk) - YouTube