Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Sony announces HXR-NX3 professional HD camcorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan A. Diaz View Post
While most if not all AVCHD video cameras do not need them, I prefer using something like the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s UHS1 cards.
Cheers Juan - my 2 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards arrived today from eBay and my NX3 is ordered - delivery in about 2 weeks! :)
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
my NX3 is ordered - delivery in about 2 weeks! :)
Any chance you'll be able to shoot something and upload the original clip(s)?

The NX3 is not really, what I'm looking for, but I might be able to make another set of compromises if it's sharper and has better low light capabilities than the NX5. It's certainly a good price.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Michael - yep, sure. As soon as it arrives I'll upload a few native clips somewhere to share.

Here's the first unboxing / mini review I just found. The zoom looks bloody awesome... and the noiseless low light footage is looking sweet. Perfect for weddings / events and a big step up from my aging Z7 (HDV)

Old January 7th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Here's the first unboxing / mini review I just found.
That's made it more interesting to me. Apart from the codec and the limitation of not being NTSC/PAL switchable it has everything on my list.

Quote:
The zoom looks bloody awesome...
Indeed. It's still digital zoom, but a good one. (at least from that one demo)

Strong pixelization in the branches behind the peacock, but that's caused by YouTube's compression compensating for the moving text.

Will be better much than zooming in post, which will magnify the compression blocks.
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #35
Major Player

I love the codec. Editing footage from my NX70 (AVCHD 8-bit 4:2:0) is a dream. Smooth as butter on Premiere, grades really well and 1080/50p is just the holy grail of formats for me. Instant smooth 50% slowmo. Can't wait!
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #36
Major Player

I use 1080p50 AVCHD without problems too. What I don't like about it is the blockiness during motion. Id like something with a bit higher bit rate. Panasonic's new LongG50 looks ideal.

(BTW, I notice you're in Auckland. I grew up in Green Bay/Titirangi)
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #37
Major Player

Zulqar Cheema has supplied me with a few of the original camera files (1080i50) that he shot for his review, which I have made available on my web site for anyone who's interested.

Sony HXR-NX3 - Sample Files mike-warren.net

I'm quite impressed with the noise, based on these files, and it certainly looks sharper than the NX5.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I think one of the productive features of this camcorder is the ability to have dual record/stop triggers to either of the SD card slots. From a long form event standpoint this is big for me. Being able, for example, to record several speakers at conference from start to finish continuously to one card and record/stop a single speaker who has paid you to shoot just them and provided you an SD card (or like I do, bill them with SDHC card included) to hand off at the end of the event. Also with Hudl.com for football, you have to upload single play clips and I'll be able to do that on one card and record the game continuously to another card for parents and fans.
Has anyone heard of this feature on another video camera? I didn't see where Sony markets this as "Industry first..." edit: I believe there was a firmware update to do this with the 128GB FMU... is that 5U and EA50?

Sony did a Facebook webchat the other day with a couple guests, including Den Lennie who created one of the first demo/preview videos. A couple key standout mentions was official word that the NX3 is not a replacement for the 5U and they will be brothers. Also the RM-LVR1 wrist watch style controller is supported among other notables.

https://www.facebook.com/SonyProfess...10432762368131
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #39
Inner Circle

The NX5U has the independent record feature from its introduction. You can choose trigger and format for recording on card or FMU128.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Good to know that. The Sony guy in the webchat mentioned that as his "favorite featureset of the NX3", I thought it was new! lol

Jin (Sony in Germany):
My highlight feature of the HXR-NX3 is, that you can do recordings independently on both of the slots.

No question I have lots to research in finally moving up from flag-ship consumer models to my first professional body. I never expected my - not 1... not 2, but 3 Panasonic TM-900's would hold up all this time under on-the-job work. I can see getting lucky with one of them, but all 3 have held up well and never error'd or failed during a shoot. One did take a big nasty fall and the auto-lens cover only covers half the lens, but I'm happy it wasn't worse.
In my mind, the lack of HD-SDI can be alleviated with the purchase of a BM or Atomos hdmi-to-sdi converter in the studio (with the benefit of 4:2:2) and 128GB SDXC cards pricing are tumbling in recent weeks, with B&H having a Kingston for $86.
The TM-900 has allowed me to work with 1080/60p 28Mb/s video files for over 2-3 years already, So that feature in the NX3 is neither a cringing concern nor something to get excited about. It holds up well to very light color correction and if you're willing to put in the time to convert to 10bit 422prores or cineform, it can handle some moderate grading.
The slightly larger LCD, built-in LED light for impromptu situations, and NFC/Wifi/wireless remote is just icing. I feel bad knowing there are a couple NX5U owners who might feel smitten by this new model being a worthy incremental upgrade, but not huge enough to warrant replacing. How the absence of HD-SDI output got this designated NX3 vs NX6, only Sony can explain.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #41
Major Player

I've updated my page here to include the operating guide for the HXR-NX3. I couldn't find anywhere online to download it so I asked Sony Australia for a copy.

Sony HXR-NX3 - Sample Files mike-warren.net
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Thanks for the user manual. Nice to compare to my NX5U. Some nice additions and some omissions too. The fact the NX3 can record simultaneously to both SD cards is good and likely removes the need for the FMU 128. I like the touch focus and WiFi controls too. It can also record to an external recorder over HDMI too. Missing are timecode lock, HD SDI and smooth gain switching ( also missing from my FDR-AX1 and the PXW-Z100 not acceptable to me in such pro camcorders as switching gain needs to be smooth)

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #43
Major Player

My NX3 arrived today!! Woohoo. All looking good so far.

1 big annoyance at this stage, similar to the NX-70, there is no option to have the Viewfinder AND the LCD active at the same time! grrrrrrr!!!
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
My NX3 arrived today!! Woohoo. All looking good so far.
Excellent! Congratulations.

I'd still love to see a 50p clip at night time, if you can manage it.

Quote:
1 big annoyance at this stage, similar to the NX-70, there is no option to have the Viewfinder AND the LCD active at the same time! grrrrrrr!!!
That doesn't make sense. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that limitation, and on page 24 it says this:

Quote:
The LCD screen can be rotated in the range
as illustrated below, allowing a person other
than the camera operator to see the image
To me, that suggests that in this situation, the camera operator must be using the viewfinder.
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
There is nothing in the manual to suggest that limitation,
Then again, I just looked at the NX5 manual, which shows a setting for "VF POWERMODE" The NX3 has no such setting. That seems like a silly omission.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders