Used B$H EX1 or New Nx5U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Used B$H EX1 or New Nx5U

Thinking of pressing the buy button tomorrow, really struggling with this decision. Looked at the HM600, but figured the NX5-U better, and an EX1 more in my price range used, but Isn't new always better? Thoughts?

Also, is there a good drops and spills used warranty?

Last edited by Tim Paynter; April 21st, 2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: not clear message
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Used B$H EX1 or New Nx5U

Quote:
Isn't new always better?
That's the general thought many people seem to have these days :) Just kidding, but I"d prefer new over used, first you never know why they sell, how have they treated the camera? Then there is the warranty issue, stores do give a limited warranty on second hand camera's in these parts but new gives me 2 year's of warranty. Not sure how it works in your country but when I buy a new camera I pay 21% tax on that, so if I would buy a used camera that's 20% cheaper then a new one I"d still be better off buying the new camera since I can deduct the tax as a business, second hand only becomes interesting when it's maybe 40 to 50% of the original salesprice for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

I would THINK (I have no proof) that a place like B&H would vet/check those cameras out before selling them, which is a reason to buy there over ebay/Amazon (and pay the higher price than those places typically command).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Those two cameras are not in the same league. That's why a used EX1 can fetch as much as a new NX5U. But even the NX5U is about 4 years old. One thing to keep in mind about the NX5U is that it's sensors are not 1920x1080. It may not matter one bit for what you do but you can search on "NX5U resolution" to learn about it.

I've bought used cameras from B&H and never had a problem. You can buy a MACK warranty from them.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Here are the specs:

Shows signs of use, but very clean Additional Comments:SXS CARD CAMCORDER (HRS 492)

Seems like high hours to me. Still, as you say, it is not in the same league as the NX5. That is my eternal problem, I need/want something that in new condition is way out of my price range. But how do you get better if you don't use better equipment?

I now have F-7, PD170 tape cams, GL2, time to upgrade isn't it?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

Newer is only better IF YOU NEED THE NEW FEATURES. the ex1 is a very nice cam. Yes it is 6 years old but makes a very nice, incredibly sharp hd picture. Has just about just about every pro feature you could want on a camera. Are there newer, better cams? Sure...but do you NEED them? Do you require the higher color sampling of some new cams? Do you need waveforms or vectorscopes? Do you need 4k? Do you need higher bitrate codecs for delivery or color correction or something? Do you need to be able to wirelessly upload your footage somewhere? Im just thinking of some things the newer cams have off the top of my head.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Major Player

What I need is the most advanced equipment to do the job, mostly run and gun kind of things but some documentary kinds of things (which can also be run and gun). Wireless would be nice, not required, the other things mentioned including 4K, not really in my league at this time. What I don't need is
a) the latest greatest with things that are nice but expensive; and
b) a camera that won't hold up heavy use, or not up to pro standards.

I can't afford the camera I need new, but new is really nice.

Does xdcam integrate well with Premiere Pro CS5.5?

Last edited by Tim Paynter; April 22nd, 2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: make more clear
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,the EX1 is a great camera,i've used it a lot of times and it didn't ever let me down! love the image coming out of this camera! but if i would be looking to buy one now, I would buy an EX1R and not an EX1!! worth the extra money!
Now that the PMW-200 is out for more than a year you can find a lot of used EX1R
regards
Sam
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

I agree on the EX1r (looking into one myself).

I've been going through this as well (see my thread titled "cam-xiety"), still don't own an HD camera and have only in the past few years been shooting enough to justify owning one, however, still not enough for those new camera prices with the features/level of professionalism I want.

What I believe and have determined for me personally is that even though something like, say, the PMW mentioned above or HPX270 may be more advanced and nicer cams than the the EX1 (or the "r"), spending the money they cost, based on my client base, how often I shoot, what I charge, and how long I expect the cam to take to pay off, those improvements just aren't worth it to me, considering those cams aren't 4K (and therefore, in a way, not future-proof). Do I need 4K now? No, not at all. Do I think I will at some point, and am I afraid it's going to be sooner than I think? Yes. So investing in an HD camera brand new in that 6-$8k range just doesn't make sense to me.

Other folks might work on month long projects that make the camera pay for itself in the same amount of time (my shoots are usually a day or two at most), or have different clients, or have higher fee structures, and so that answer will be different for them.

I would say put your needs through a similar analysis and that should tell you what to get.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Don't get a EX1, get a EX1R.

Don't be concerned too much with hours it's all solid sate.

I have a EX1 in perfect condition with high hours simply because of all the conferences I've recorded in air conditioned buildings.

My camera hasn't seen any harsh conditions.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM   #11
Major Player

@ Tim Paynter

I am curious why you are looking at the Sony HXR-NX5U but not the newer, less expensive Sony HXR-NX3?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Major Player

The NX3 failed the BBC broadcast list and I am aiming at cable television. Also, bad performance in low light, I shoot a lot of bands, events, etc. Also, in reading the forums, many suggest avoiding the small chip cameras. They might work for me, at my level, they do, but I don't want to be at this level much longer. As my skills improve, seems wise to upgrade from tape based system, though I am getting along.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Tim.

I think the EX series is a better choice; definitely the EX1R over the EX1.

I have an EX3 I'm willing to let go - haven't used it in over 6 months.

Just sent you a PM.
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders