Sony NX3, What can I use the BNC for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old February 5th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony NX3, What can I use the BNC for?

Hey All, new to the Sony NX3 and am curious what the BNC connector is for. I assume its an output source. I have only used composite and HDMI as outputs in the past. I dont have any cables with that connector on it as yet, that's why I am asking. I wondered if I can connect to laptop somehow.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony NX3, What can I use the BNC for?

Hi Darryn,

On the NX3, the BNC output is "NTSC composite video", just a standard-definition analog output. It is the same video you would get using an RCA connector - the BNC connection is used for pro applications as it is a locking connection. The video quality is the same. You can buy a BNC > RCA adapter for a buck or two.

Note that SDI and HD-SDI also use BNC connections (HD-SDI not offered on NX3). This is an uncompressed digital stream with video and audio (up to 16 channels). The HD-SDI connection is similar to HDMI and can have up to 16 channels of audio embedded with the HD video. A benefit of HD-SDI is that you can have cable runs of up to 300 feet with no signal loss, or longer if using re-clocking boxes. This is what is used at sporting events and for other broadcast needs, studio, etc.

But again, the BNC out on NX3 is simply NTSC composite video, HD-SDI not offered on that model.

Thanks
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, just the answer I was looking for. Off to Radio Shack to get an adapter, then I should be able to output SD via my BNC. Thanks again.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Hurry up before they padlock the doors. Unfortunate that so many well-known stores are going under these days, hopefully they can somehow hang on as I love going to the Radio Shack down the street often.
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, home and playing. Video looks ok but no audio. I think my usb adapter is an older 2.0 unit. Will investigate further.
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Major Player

How are you monitoring the audio? Also curious why the composite monitoring, rather than HD via HDMI

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Major Player

At the moment, I do not have way of HDMI in to my laptop. I have an older Dazzle USB adapter. I may have used the word composite when I meant component. Ironically I had a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle a few months ago for a different project but returned it. What I remember from the Shuttle was we could not get HDMI to work.
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Major Player

very usefull information because I also have a nx3. They asked to record/film a soccer game on sunday. They want it to broadcast it live if possible. I can buy a encoder that turns the hdmi out into usb and laptop will recognizes this (elgato game capture hd)

They have wifi (wireless internet) there. But I'm a bit scared my laptop will be too far away to receive the wifi signal. I'm going to film outside the soccer game near the field and the wifi is inside a basement in the building.

I thought putting the laptop inside the building as close to the wifi so I have connection a use a long bnc cable from camcorder to the encoder.

Ok, it will be just dvd quality but I think it will good enough. Or use a long hdmi cable?

any thoughts?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Don't use HDMI straight from the camera. Those only run for 50 meters with a good quality cable, 25m for a cheap quality one.

Rent a HDMI to HD-SDI and a vice versa converter. The Elgato I don't believe has legacy Composite support and Composite DOES NOT CARRY AUDIO. HDMI and HD-SDI does.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #10
Major Player

It worked with a 123m utp (internet) cable!! this with the elgato hd game capture and youtube live events.
I could stream 720p without problems.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders