NX5U replacement? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: NX5U replacement?

In order to write files larger 4gb you need exfat format, the smallest card to support exfat is the 64gb card, which until recently was prohibitively expensive for mainstream users. When the Nx5 was released I'm not even sure 64gb cards were even available. Flash memory has changed rapidly in recent years.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 24th, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
In order to write files larger 4gb you need exfat format, the smallest card to support exfat is the 64gb card, which until recently was prohibitively expensive for mainstream users. When the Nx5 was released I'm not even sure 64gb cards were even available. Flash memory has changed rapidly in recent years.
Yes I am not sure when 64G cards were available but I think I only used 32G cards for a couple of years and certainly for the last 4 years have been using 64G cards in everything even my GoPro and AS30V . I think the FMU128 is actually an SSD with an extra USB interface for PC transfer but still uses a FAT32 format. I wanted the FMU128 because I didn't want to keep changing cards during a show like I used to have to do with tapes.

The point I was trying to make is that even on a new Sony camera , the FDR-AX100, which can record 4K as well as HD in AVCHD or XAVC-S the AVCHD is still recorded as if it was on a FAT32 card even thought it is actually being recorded on an exFat card on which the same camera happily records XAVC-S with no file size limit. I think this is purely for consistency. mts files are FAT32 in at least a Sony camera and most others I think, when converted to m2ts on transfer to the PC files size appears to not have a limit. Codec is the same. I think from a manufacturers point of view it is easier to fix the format so that there is no confusion in downstream handling. Having to decide what to do basesd on the card that is used is more work. For instance to use XAVC-S on must use a SDXC card so that problem there goes away.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

There is a complexity of supporting both formats. They can't simply drop support for fat32. That what I was hinting at before about being forced to use Sony's software to import video. I'm sure they have their corporate view of things and it makes sense to them. Large single files have their weakness too. If file becomes corrupt, the power goes out, or the camera malfunctions you could lose all your video.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders