NX100 - Anything? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 17th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: NX100 - Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Ortiz View Post
Hello, I was considering in buying the Sony as a replacement for my AC90.
Do you still consider the sony worst than the PAnny ac90???

thanks
NX100 is definitely better in low light. Also the image is more pleasing when gained up than the AC90 IMHO.
Dave Therault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Here's a short ice hockey clip.
https://vimeo.com/152117012

(It's 1080p60 so please download the "original" file to play from your desktop and not in the browser or in the vimeo player.)

Rec Format – 59.94
1/90
f5.2
12dB
AF

I would really be liking this camera for sports except for difficulties I have with manual focus. The lens focus data only stay on the LCD display for 3 seconds. So in order to adjust focus you have to first move the ring in order make the data appear and get a reading. That is just to much attention for a sports shooter to have to pay to the viewfinder or LCD. I need to glance in, see my reading, and make a focus decision in a fraction of a second—so I need the focus data up all the time.

(Amazingly, the zoom data, which for me seems to be less necessary, stay on the display all the time.)

I won't use this camera for sports where manual focus is required. It's been good for this type of AF sports coverage, and for events and interviews, although I turn off the shutter to compensate for lack of strong low-light performance.
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:13 AM   #18
Trustee

Too bad they didn't put the X70 live streaming function into this little camera.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:52 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Therault View Post
although I turn off the shutter to compensate for lack of strong low-light performance.
You cannot turn off a shutter but it most likely defaults at the same framerate you are shooting in that mode, so if you shoot at 25fps the shutter is 1/25 and if you shoot at 50fps the shutter is 1/50.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yes, thank you for stating clearly the concept off "shutter off." So 1080p30 1/30… in low light I use that when I can get away with it (if camera and subject movement are minimal enough to avoid motion blur).
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #21
Trustee

When you look at this camera, and think about Sony's history with "dual market model sharing" we all KNOW a 4k UHD clone model is on the way soon. Looking at the playback controls at the front of the handle, you know they blocked off plenty of room for more buttons too.

Imagine if they gave it a 8 or 10 megapixel 16x9 video sensor instead of a 20+ megapixel photography sensor? Now you are talking!

Let's see if they release a 4K model at NAB 2016. I'd wait a little longer just to see what Sony does.

CT

Last edited by Cliff Totten; January 26th, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:52 AM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Therault View Post
NX100 is definitely better in low light. Also the image is more pleasing when gained up than the AC90 IMHO.

Thats what I thought since the sony has a 1 in sensor.... but the OP said it performed worst than the AC90
Mario Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:28 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Can't speak for the AC90 but there is a bit more involved with the comparison of low light. I swapped over from my NX3 cams to the X70 and a couple of its cousins (cx900 and ax100). Did a quick low light test with the NX3 and the X70. I could open up the NX3 to f1.6 and the X70 can only manage f2.8. So, on first look the NX3 was a clear winner. Smaller sensor but far less pixels as well.

I then tested both of them at f4.0 as that what the X70 stops down to at the long end of the zoom. Again, the NX3 was brighter. However, the NX3 was also a lot noisier than the X70 and not nearly as sharp either. Basic tests but the the X70 needed to be at 21db of gain to match the NX3 at 12db (the figure I never went over on the NX3). Still, the X70 was noticeably cleaner.

I shot a few weddings using the two side by side and the difference in quality was really noticeable to me.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:56 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
When you look at this camera, and think about Sony's history with "dual market model sharing" we all KNOW a 4k UHD clone model is on the way soon. Looking at the playback controls at the front of the handle, you know they blocked off plenty of room for more buttons too.

Imagine if they gave it a 8 or 10 megapixel 16x9 video sensor instead of a 20+ megapixel photography sensor? Now you are talking!

Let's see if they release a 4K model at NAB 2016. I'd wait a little longer just to see what Sony does.

CT
Hoping for this as well. There'll finally be a contender for an EX1 replacement for 4K if this happens. It has to have UHD 60p though, or it's not future proofed.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:15 AM   #25
Trustee

Hey Dave, can you tell me how fast you can toggle up and down on the gain using that up down toggle thing? Am looking to upgrade from my X70 (to a Z150), but I use the X70 dial for exposure ramping gain up or down.

Paul
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:38 PM   #26
New Boot

Hey everyone, just joined the site to jump into this conversation about the Nx100. I just received this last week after doing some research.

I am in a state govt agency, and this camera will be used for live-streaming remote events, and for prodcuing in-house training or other employee videos. We are still live-streaming at 480x360 with a composite input, so the dedicated BNC jack on this camera works better for us than break-out dongles.

I have put in some time going through all the menus and the manual, but haven't recorded yet because the memory cards are on back-order.

I don't see the manual on the Sony page, so maybe I can help, as far as some criticism I've seen.

There are 5 user-assignable buttons, and any of the following settings can be mapped to any of these buttons:
Low Lux - adjusts for low light (only available is shooting full auto)
Focus Magnifier
Last Scene Review
Wht Bal
WB Preset
WB Set
AE Shift *
Digital Zoom extender
Steadyshot
S&Q Motion (records in alternate frame rate for Slow or quick resulting footage)
Auto Mode Set
Scene Selection
Nightshot
Iris Push Auto
Face Detection
Color Bar
Picture Profile
Volume (for showing headphone volume - still need arrow keys to adjust)
Histogram
Zebra
Peaking
Marker
Camera Data Display
Audio Level Display
Data Code
TC/UB display
Status Check
Rec Lamp
Thumbnail.

* Someone mentioned earlier frustration at not being able to use the Iris ring to trim the AE. This button will turn ON or OFF an AE adjustment you'd previously set in the menu, -2 to +2. If you want to use the iris ring to make on the fly AE adjustments, just use the iris ring as an iris ring, or use the lever on the side to bump or pull gain in 3db increments, -3 to plus 33.

Then there is also the ND filter siwtch, which is dedicated. So between the iris ring, the manual lever (for shutter or gain adjustment) and the ND filter, there are 4 parameters you can adjust with just your left hand.

The lever is a springy-lever, and for gain it goes by 3dB, so to go from 0 to +12 would take you, IDK, 1.5 seconds? (plus the .5 seconds to press the Gain button before adjusting).
Not a smooth ramp though.
Chris Manes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:44 PM   #27
New Boot

The other reason for opting for the sony was the ClearZoom. I've been stuck with palmcorder style cams for years, which are very hard to dial in manually, but they did have 30x optical zooms on them. I am often in the back of an auditorium.

Most of the new HD semi-pro cams are 12x optical, which is not going to be enough. I should be able to get to 24x with the Clear Zoom and not have a lot of artifact on the composite output.

There is also a DV mode on this camera that let's it shoot in 480, 4:3. I wish that the Clearzoom in DV mode would actually just sample the 480 from the middle of the sensor...just give me an actual crop zoom and retain the resolution, but I don't see any indication of that.
Chris Manes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:18 PM   #28
Trustee

Chris, for adjusting gain with the "springy lever thing", what happens if you hold it up or down? My X70 has the dial thing, but still pops each 3db, not too pretty........wondering if the springy lever will be easier to deal with that the dial, just not any faster I expect.

You should be able to shoot AVCHD mode using standard SDHC cards right? I know on my X70, for some stupid reason, streaming only works with XAVC codecs, not with AVCHD.

Paul
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:40 PM   #29
New Boot

Just curious if somebody can answer a couple of questions for me. I notice the camera has a lens cap and lens hood. I have an old HDR-FX7 with the barn door lens cover. Are they interchangeable? Can I take the barn door lens cover and use it on the NX100? My other question is about the shotgun mic holder. Is it removable? Most video I do, I use wireless or cord but not shotgun. It looks to me like it could get in the way. Maybe I'm overthinking things here.

I'm retired but just can't get it out of my blood. Don't want to invest in a camera I wouldn't be happy with.
Gary Bohlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:55 AM   #30
New Boot

re: mic holder. Yes, I already removed mine, as the camera wouldn't fit in the bag I bought without looking uncomfortable. Two small phillips screws, no biggie. I got the sony multi-shoe set which allows their wireless receiver to get power and transmit sound through the hot shoe, no battery no cables.

I will play with the lever and get back to you. Paul, I'm confused by your question, you mention recording, then streaming. I'll check the manual but if you could clarify that would help.
Chris Manes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders