Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:58 PM   #196
Regular Crew

Re: Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup

As has been made very clear from many reviews of the nex-5, when it comes to something altogether new, no one who has not used the product extensively should be paid much attention. Add to that fact this is a prototype.

The F-stop guy seems to be quite impressed and has shot alot with DSLRs--but of course he is part of the pro-sumer team.

Another site's remark about the slowness of the 18-200 emount is accurate, however his added comment on the sharpness is ridiculous: it's plenty sharp as a STILL lens, let alone video.

That review seemed as rushed as he felt the camera was.

It's only a matter of time before we have a fast e-mount zoom, whether from sony or somebody else, since they have released all the specs.

It's a brave new world.
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #197
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I hope you realize that just a couple of short years ago, you couldn't touch SDI on a camera for less than $10,000.
But that isn't the case now ;), HDSDI is more important on this cam due to the AVCHD codec, it is being pitched as a pro camera. I was really interested as I do a great deal of underwater filming and the smaller size of this camera would have been great for certain applications.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #198
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I hope you realize that just a couple of short years ago, you couldn't touch SDI on a camera for less than $10,000.
But TODAY there are substantially cheaper cameras with HDSI which is a far more professional connector for a number of reasons. I think it is totally valid to expect it on a camera of this type in this price range.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #199
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Webster View Post
It's only a matter of time before we have a fast e-mount zoom, whether from sony or somebody else, since they have released all the specs.
Fast Super 35mm lenses are large and not cheap. Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Another option are zoom lenses for the RED.

There are zoom lenses that Sony is introducing for the F3, but the max aperture is rumoured to be T3 for a 11-16mm, the bigger zoom range lenses would tend to be in the T4, with aperture ramping at the long end to keep the size down. If you want fast, with large zoom ranges, but relatively compact, 1/2" or 2/3" makes more sense, rather than large sensor cameras.

I expect Birger will bring out a mount which will allow Canon zooms to be used, but you're talking about similar max apertures

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; March 24th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #200
Regular Crew

Why can't manufacturers simply include a locking HDMI on these cams, similar to the Sonnet eSata locking connectors - it's simply a screw!? It seems that would make most of the anti-HDMIers on here happy as that's their main gripe.

see here..

Buy Sonnet Tempo eSATA Cable Set (2-meter external Serial ATA data cable with two eSATA locking connectors) (TCB-SATA-2L-2M), free delivery | AllMacShop
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #201
Inner Circle

Given the modular nature of the design, I expect third party manufacturers will bring out accessories, The HDMI may be less of an issue if the cable is very short connecting a Nanoflash or a HD SDI converter hard mounted to the side of the camera very close to the HDMI output, rather than an arm with cables hanging off.

The RED cameras have lots of 3rd party mods made to them and the Scarlet fixed has mini jacks for the mic inputs, you need the media I/O module for XLRs etc

There seems to be a bit of a rumour that the HDMI on the camera is 10 bit, rather than 8 bit, but that would need to be confirmed, since most people are talking in terms of 8 bit.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #202
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Fast Super 35mm lenses are large and not cheap. Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Another option are zoom lenses for the RED.

There are zoom lenses that Sony is introducing for the F3, but the max aperture is rumoured to be T3 for a 11-16mm, the bigger zoom range lenses would tend to be in the T4, with aperture ramping at the long end to keep the size down. If you want fast, with large zoom ranges, but relatively compact, 1/2" or 2/3" makes more sense, rather than large sensor cameras.

I expect Birger will bring out a mount which will allow Canon zooms to be used, but you're talking about similar max apertures
The camera tested had the standard e-mount 18200 which seemed to cover the sensor just fine. I see no reason why we will not see 2.8 e-mount zooms within 1.5 years.

That's the fastest DSLR zoom I've seen, and certainly fast enough for indoor event filming. As you know there are many out there now, all for under 2K.

2.6 is impressive but only a tad faster.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #203
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I was just thinking about the LCD position-- ie., top mounted LCD. Seems like a bad idea to me. The top mounted LCD sure kills the potential of a quick and easy jib shot.
Never crossed my mind but even when mounted on a tripod you're going to struggle to see the LCD, that wasn't well thought out if you ask me.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #204
Inner Circle

You can get f2.8 mount zoom lenses already, just use an adapter, however, just don't expect them to to be 10 to 1 zooms, more shorter zoom ranges. Examples are the RED zooms which are 18-50mm and 50-150mm. People are using stills lens zooms on the RED, so they'd be the same ones you'd consider for the FS 100.

A non aperture ramping f2.8 10 to 1 Super 35mm zoom,is very large and you'd be attaching the camera to lens rather than the other way. I suspect the front diameter of the lens would be over 140mm

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; March 24th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #205
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Never crossed my mind but even when mounted on a tripod you're going to struggle to see the LCD, that wasn't well thought out if you ask me.
You are right about that. Many times I put my camcorder on my tripod and the head is always approx 5 inches above my head for certain times. I'll either need a chair or a HD monitor now.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #206
Inner Circle

The top picture may be the answer to your problem.

NEX FS 100…Sony’s affordable version of the F3, first footage | Philip Bloom

This camera seems to be more like a RED layout than a traditional Sony product. Unfortunately, that means accessories will be needed to solve various issues.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #207
Major Player

A poster on another forum has spoken to Sony and has been told by an Engineer that the HDMI is in fact 10 bit.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #208
Inner Circle

For Jib use mount the camera upside down. Undersling it and you'll have no problem seeing the LCD from below. Then just flip the image right way up in post.
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
You can get f2.8 mount zoom lenses already, just use an adapter, however, just don't expect them to to be 10 to 1 zooms, more shorter zoom ranges. Examples are the RED zooms which are 18-50mm and 50-150mm. People are using stills lens zooms on the RED, so they'd be the same ones you'd consider for the FS 100.

A non aperture ramping f2.8 10 to 1 Super 35mm zoom,is very large and you'd be attaching the camera to lens rather than the other way. I suspect the front diameter of the lens would be over 140mm
Agreed,

I don't think any expects a 10x 2.8 zoom.

17-50
24-70
70-20

all these are common with 2.8 aperture. You certainly do not need the expensive RED zooms. We will have e-mounts with OIS at a fraction of the price.

Obviously in the meantime the sony 18-200 is in fact excellent if you have light, and the nikons and sigmas already adapt for MF and manual aperture work.
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #210
Inner Circle

The mechanics can be a down side to stills zooms, that's why the cine zooms are expensive.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta