Sony announces Pro version of the NEX camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony announces Pro version of the NEX camcorder

Sony introduces Professional Grade NEX Camcorder the NEX-FS100JK Akihabara News
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony announces Pro version of the NEX camcorder

Awesome! Can't wait.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
New Boot

No HD/SDI... I can understand this wanting to leave the more pro features on the F3. No ND filters....that I can't understand. NDs are on the most basic of prosumer cameras. That lack of feature alone makes we skip this and save for the F3....come on Sony.
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

New DSLR killer

It has all the features needed by pro videographers and very inexpensive!

Sony Product Detail Page NEXFS100UK
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: New DSLR killer

No ND filter
No HD-SDI output
Only One card slot
Very poor design and ergonomics
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Just about the same as a DSLR, but without the imaging artefacts.

I suspect the Sony FS 100 is going to be one of those love it or hate cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I waited with baited breath for more info to be released about this cam only to {sigh} once it was released.

Back to planning for a F3. {sigh} again.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Major Player

This thing sounds perfect for me! I love the F3 sensor, can't wait to get my hands on this little guy!
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It would be a great choice to replace shooting with a DSLR. Its not the best choice if you are looking to grow past the novelty of the large sensor.

As much as I enjoy the artistic options the image of my 7d offers its a royal PITA to shot with on a bright day. My EX1r is a pleasure in contrast.

I was hoping for something closer to the EX1 but it looks like the FS-100 will be closer to the 7d ergonomics wise. Sony is definitely drawing a line in the sand between the people that appreciate true professional cameras and those willing to put up with crap ergonomics to get DOF control.

I'm going to take a serious look at the FS100 at NAB. I expect it to only complete the decision to save up more for a F3 or something with more practical features.

Strictly my opinion.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sorry but can sombody explane me the difference , in term of quality and sooting, betwen this new Sony camera (6500 $) and the Canon 7D ore better Mark2?
APSC,cmos sensor (Super35??? What does it mean)
No ND
avchd 24 Mbits
Ok XLR mic nice
No all the lens you want
No AF
No zoom...and so on...
Sorry but I am sure that with the same money I can Buy one Mark2 to all the best lens I want.
Is it true?
Gianni Paolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The resolution is better and you don't have the serious moire artefacts that the DSLRs have. Much less skew because it has a sensor designed for video rather than stills. No record time limits.

Super 35 is a standard motion picture format, so you can use cine lenses if you want to. Perhaps more an advantage for having the option of the zooms than primes.

You have the option to record on a Nanoflash or other outside recorders with time code using a superior codec. Someone on the other thread on the FS 100 says that the HDMI is 10 bit according to a Sony engineer, which is positive if correct.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Major Player

In my opinion the biggest reason to go with a FS100 are (and these are based on playing with the F3):

Incredible low light performance - The F3 is incredibly clean in low light, even up to 6400 ISO. The low noise also translates into better bang for bit codec performance because the codec is not processing noise.

Very little aliasing and moire - these are the two BIG problems with the Canons and it is virtually gone on the F3.

Clean HDMI out - this is great for recording to a ki pro, etc but also great for sending video to a switcher or a video village on bigger productions.

Size and price - if this little guy performs as well as people are hoping then it would be a great addition to current DSLR shooters kit.

F3 b-cam work - in my area the F3 is getting a lot of attention. I do a lot of b-cam work with DSLRs currently. If the F3 takes off the FS100 would be a perfect b-cam partner.

I agree that it is going to be a "love it or hate it camera". It looks like it has the DSLR ergonomics, for better or worse. For me it's great because I've already solved all my ergonomic issues and I can just plug this little camera body into my current rig.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

Just being able to go out to a Ki Pro mini, Nano Flash, or like recorder is a big deal for many shooters. Not to mention how the body's design will improve builds for accessories.

Also - built in slow and quick (overcrank and undercrank) is big - something users really liked when the Panasonic HVX200 first came out and various cameras since.

I'll be curious to see what Canon has planned on their broadcast side next month at NAB.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services
Allan Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I have to agree the lack of ND is too bad. This might have something to do with the very short register of the e-mount. Not much room for it.
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi,

it seems that it is going to be a great camera...the fact that it doesnt have nd filters can be easily solved with matte box or varion nd filters...otherwise it seems a strong contender specially due its sensor size...strong competitor against the panasonic af-100...tough choice to decide which camera would be better...
Drazen Stader is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta