Sony NEX-FS100 Camera Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NEX-FS100 Camera Test

Just a simple test.

Yesterday in the late afternoon, I got an overnight loan of the yet to release Sony NEX-FS100 video camera. With about 1-2 hours of daylight left, I quickly drove to a nearby place and put the camera to test.

It was at the end of a long day of work fixing some Avid issues and I initially thought I was just going for a demonstration, so I didn't bring along any support equipment. But I remember watching Den & James's video blog of the camera and how they had shot one of the scenes of "Vertigo" music video without permission.

So I tried to go "stealth" and walked around a local old tourist street with the barebones FS100 (removing mic, handle and eyepiece) to see how unobtrusive I can get. I am using the E18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom kit lens.

Settings
--------

There is no user manual and the camera went through several hands, so I am not 100% sure what are the defaults. But I believe I am testing the camera under default settings. There are 6 picture profiles and I chose the 5th - Cinematone 1 which is visibly darker on the camera's LCD screen but brighter than Cinematone 2. But this being a cinema camera, I felt most people would want to use the cinematone profile and so I tested with it.

The gain settings are set to 0db (low), 15db (mid) and 30db (high). It is configurable at an interval of 3db from 0 to 30. I don't know if this is the default but I didn't change it since it is also good to test the entire range.

It is a PAL unit and should be the final production unit (but I am not able to confirm at this point).

- 1080p25 24Mbps Cinematone 1
- Edited in Premiere Pro CS4 with no grading
- Encoded in WMV Average 8Mbps, Max 10Mbps.

I did a Mainconcepts H.264 encoding at similar bitrates as well but I thought the WMV version is better in some ways. Note: Some artifacts are due to the WMV encoding.

Built quality
-------------

The built feels similar to EX1 and like all cameras of this range, better handle it with more care. All plastics but like
most Sony products, they don't feel cheaply constructed. Buttons are of course not as big and well-spaed as shoulder mounts, but I don't feel they are that different from other cameras of this price range.

There are mounting holes in many places and you can actually mount the camera at its side on a tripod to do a vertical shoot (for vertical mount displays).

Unobtrusive?
---------------

I can wrap my two palms and fingers around the main unit, leaving the lens exposed. The size feels like placing two DSLR bodies back to back, if you get what I mean. In fact, the internal battery compartment takes up a lot of space (maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of the main unit). You can insert a NP-F970 inside without protruding out. Due to the position of the LCD screen at the top, I do find myself often shooting at below the eye level.

So am I really unobtrusive? Not exactly, but I feel I am not much different from a DSLR shooter.

Apologies for the shaky footage, I am quite tired at the end of a workday and the camera is not that light. I am also holding the camera in a unfamiliar manner (try visualize holding a barebones FS100 with your hands).

Lens
------

Equipped with the same F3 super 35mm CMOS sensor (I was told), I feel the kit lens is really not making use of the sensor's superb capability.

- Looks unprofessional with the silver plastics (personal opinion)
- Focus ring is at the back and zoom ring on the front, which is contrary to all professional video lens. I kept making the mistake of zooming when I want to adjust focusing.
- Focus ring is smaller than the zoom ring and I have to turn a very big round to go from full blur to sharp.
- Not sharp or fast
- Not quite easy to get shallow depth of field with slow F3.5 - F6.3 (and no ND filter)
- Forget about smooth zoom. Difficult, if not impossible? Too much friction.
- Infinite focus ring. I always prefer a finite ring..
- Silent and fast focusing/autofocus. Good.
- No noticeable barrel distortion at wide/telephoto ends.
- No noticeable chromatic aberration.
- Okay performance. I heard it's the same lens as the consumer interchangeable lens camera.

Note: There is a small iris ring on the main camera unit.

LCD Display
--------------

I can view the LCD reasonably well in daylight and it's rotatable except facing the talent. Sharp LCD screen like the EX1.

The nice thing is that you can press and navigate on the LCD screen directly. But it leaves too much fingerprint for me and I prefer not touch that screen.

The small histogram can be permanently left on which is very useful. There is only one level of zebra. The peaking can be set to white, yellow or red with different strengths.

I have an issue with the expanded focus just like Canon XF305's. I prefer Panny's solution which only shows an expanded focus in the middle. With a full screen expanded focus, I often forget to turn it off as it looks not much different from the regular screen.

Image quality
---------------

Low light and low noise is definitely its selling point. Definitely better than AF100 in this regard. I also tested AF100 briefly before with some noticeable noise.

15db gain is surprisingly very usable although I feel 30db is reserved for documentary use with its noticeable noise. A better lens will definitely do wonders for this camera. The absence of a ND filter wheel is also an issue but it can be overcome with a mattebox.

However, the aliasing is quite noticeable and somewhat disappointing. I wonder why? Maybe an inferior filter? There is apparently a need to lower the sharpness in the menu settings for most situations. If I remember correctly, it was 0 at default and I shot at 0. To be fair, it may not be any worse than other cameras unless we do side-by-side comparisons.

Although not shown in the footage, I did some quick panning of the camera and and I can hardly see any rolling shutter effect. If you look at 02:10, the fan in the shop does not suffer from any rolling shutter effect.

Miscellaneous
---------------

Battery life is excellent. I shot with the LCD display on at normal brightness. I don't know if there is a power saving feature but it's almost always on throughout my 1-2 hours of shoot and the NP-F770 battery only dropped about 30%.

By the way, the loan package box comes with a NP-F770 battery and a Sony Shotgun Microphone. I am not sure if the actual package contents would be similar.

Conclusion
------------

Pros:
- Excellent sensor with good low light capability and low noise
- Excellent battery life
- 1080p50 at 28Mbps
- Both HD and SD
- Modular (very configurable)
- Barebones is reasonably unobtrusive
- 15db gain clean and very usable

Cons:
- Consumerish kit lens
- No ND filter wheel (others have suggested it's impossible to build it in due to form factor)
- Noticeable aliasing?
- Not NTSC/PAL switchable

Last edited by Ng Chee Teng; March 31st, 2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added more comments
Ng Chee Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NEX-FS100 Camera Test

Thanks for the test; it confirms my initial impressions on this camera.

Particularly attractive (and expected) is the low noise level. Unfortunately, lack of ND filters will make many potential buyers look towards the Panny AF-100, with the Sony's own F3 in quite another price league...

Piotr

Dear Sony, if you read this - it's still not too late to make for this omission in the actual production units. Please, don't make this mistake - avoid it in the interest of us loyal users, and yourself!
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:30 AM   #3
New Boot

I've been browsing the site for years but not posting much... anyway.

I'd like to back up Piotr's statement.

The ONE thing that's making me want the AF100 over the Sony is the lack of ND filters built in. This is a major problem for me.

Also thanks for the review. Very nice. :D
Adrian Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Let me put it this way. Sony, if you were to have ND filters on this camera, I WILL buy it as soon as
it is available. If it does NOT have ND filters, I will not buy it.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
Let me put it this way. Sony, if you were to have ND filters on this camera, I WILL buy it as soon as
it is available. If it does NOT have ND filters, I will not buy it.
It does not come with ND filters.
Or, as Dr. Seuss would say:

Sony,
Can it,
will it,
have ND?

No,
It cannot,
will not,
have ND!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Major Player

I understand that it isn't coming with ND filters. I was just putting Piotr's message to Sony
a little more strongly. In my case, the lack of ND filters is THE reason that I am not going
to buy it. If it had them, I'd have already preordered one......even if I had to pay the
money up front. And yes, I understand the AF100 is out, but for other reasons, I
don't want that camera either.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Major Player

30db gain? Is that a true 30db gain or are they renaming the conventional 18db to 30 for some reason?
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Low light performance seems very good .. aliasing is disappointing.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Wrangler

ND filters are something I forgot how much I missed until I went back to the AF100 from years of DSLR. Didnt realize the FS100 didnt have them until this thread!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Norman View Post
Low light performance seems very good .. aliasing is disappointing.
Are you talking specifically about the white building and the blinds in terms of aliasing?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

He probably does, Peter.

Interestingly, this clip does indeed show bad aliasing when played back in WMP, but none whatsoever when played back full screen from Vegas Pro 10 timeline...

Piotr
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I suppose that leaves the aliasing open to question, is it the original sensor image or does it depend on how you replay the on board recording?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Regular Crew

UPDATE: I have allowed some people to download the raw file and they have tested no aliasing on other editing software. The aliasing could be a problem to Premiere Pro CS4 and WMP. I will investigate this on Avid Media Composer 5 and re-edit it there if this is indeed true.
Ng Chee Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Trustee

Sorry to say, but built-in ND is not possible on this camera or any Sony camera with the E-mount because there is very little distance between the sensor and flange.

To me, no ND is not a problem because I couldn't imagine using these SLR lenses outdoors without a mattebox. Under controlled lighting...well, it is CONTROLLED lighting.

However, my main issue is no HD-SDI and no 10bit. Could you imagine using this camera and the Gemini 444 for the same price as the F3? That would be awesome.

Expect aliasing from any single sensor camera as the OLPF must allow more resolution through than the sensor can output. The most expensive single S35 sensor has a good amount of aliasing - the F35.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Aliasing was investigated to be a non-issue. Please ignore my comments on aliasing.

Last edited by Ng Chee Teng; April 4th, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Ng Chee Teng is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta