NEX-FS100P or NEX-FS100E & kit lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 16th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NEX-FS100P or NEX-FS100E & kit lens

Hi can anyone please tell me if there is any difference between these two:

Sony NEX-FS100P & Sony NEX-FS100E

Moving to europe in a few months, but buying the cam here in Asia. The store has both, and the
info about them seems to be the same, but they are different models in some way.

By the way, I also read the last thread regarding lens options, and someone post this one which is too cheap to be good. But is it better than the kit lense?

Sony SAL-2875 28-75mm f/2.8 SAM Constant Aperture Zoom Lens
SAL2875 : Zoom : A-mount DSLR Lens : Sony Singapore

Any other suggestion for a lens that is less than 2k but better than the kit lens? I heard that is a nightmare to operate manually.

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers,
Martin
Martin Noboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: NEX-FS100P or NEX-FS100E & kit lens

Deleted. Changed my mind.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Noboa View Post
Hi can anyone please tell me if there is any difference between these two:

Sony NEX-FS100P & Sony NEX-FS100E

Moving to europe in a few months, but buying the cam here in Asia. The store has both, and the
info about them seems to be the same, but they are different models in some way.

By the way, I also read the last thread regarding lens options, and someone post this one which is too cheap to be good. But is it better than the kit lense?

Sony SAL-2875 28-75mm f/2.8 SAM Constant Aperture Zoom Lens
SAL2875 : Zoom : A-mount DSLR Lens : Sony Singapore

Any other suggestion for a lens that is less than 2k but better than the kit lens? I heard that is a nightmare to operate manually.

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers,
Martin
"P" model is the Asian-Pacific version and "E" model is for Europe. There may be some frame rate and/or battery charger voltage differences, not 100% sure. I sure wish Sony had decided to make this a world camera.

You will need a LA-EA1 adapter for the SAL-2875 or any other Sony Alpha lens: LA-EA1 : Shooting : E-mount Accessories : Sony Singapore

There are several good Sony Alpha still lenses out there for less than 2k -- but they are all still lenses, and not optimized for video or motion pictures. A purpose-built motion picture lens with a native or adapted E mount will cost significantly more money.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

"Any other suggestion for a lens that is less than 2k but better than the kit lens? I heard that is a nightmare to operate manually."

YES THE 18200 IS HORRIBLE!

If you want an E-mount, go with the 1855. Yes, it is slow and short, but it is butter sweet and gives you ALL the automation the NEX camera's can provide. (By the way the 1855 is not too slow on the 800ISO FS100.) If you want to go this way: buy a highly discounted NEX-3 with 16mm and 1855 bundle. Then sell the NEX-3.

Expect slow-AF if you use Sony adaptor with any A-mount. Slo means 5 to 10 seconds to lock on a static subject. AF on a moving subject while shooting -- doubt it.

The Sony adaptor transmits data too slowly for video work and will be replaced at some point.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; May 17th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Space Hipster

I'm looking at the Sony 28-75mm 2.8 zoom. I have the a-mount adapter, so it'll go right on my VG10, and maybe an FS100 in the future.
I just want the 2.8 f stop. Or maybe a good 50mm prime.

As far as the 18-200:
I own a VG10 and have never owned a DSLR, so this is my first experience with a DSLR zoom. As such, I can't compare it to other DSLR lenses. But compared to video zooms, well, the 18-200 isn't one. The zoom and focus controls are placed in a different order compared to a video zoom. The zoom is infinite, whch means it keeps going around and around until you hit the focus point. It's easy to spin right past your focus, so you have to keep adjusting it bit by bit. In a large sensor camera, this is crucial.
The zoom feature is good enough, but bear in mind, DSLR zooms aren't meant to zoom during a take like video zooms. The lens won't hold a focus; you have to re-focus every time you move the zoom level. Look at the lens more as an infinte prime, instead of a video zoom: you set your shot, focus, and you're good to go. Widen or tighten your zoom, then you have to re-focus.
For indoor use, it's a slow lens. 3.5 f-stop at its widest setting isn't really good. But at least on the VG10, the camera is good for a very high, very clean gain level. Of course, that kind of defeats the purpose of a large sensor camera, to have more control over depth of field.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The FS100E is a 25fps/50fps only version, The FS100U is the USA 24/30/60fps model, the FS100P is the Asia pacific model, 25/50fps, FS100N is the Latin America version, 24,30, 60fps, FS100C China version 25/50fps. Add an extra K after the above for the "kit" with the 18-200mm lens.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi,
Somewhere (i think that) i was read that an update firmware will allow the Pal version to record or output at 24p.
Does anyone knows anything about ?
Tony Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Already ordered. It seems that the Pacific version and European version are exactly the same then. And I'm glad that I decided to order it without the kit lens.

Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

There is a strong rumour from Sony that there will be a future firmware update that may allow for alternate frame rates on the FS100, however it is possible that this might be a paid-for update.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

By the way, any suggestion on rig/follow focus for the FS100? Under usd 2000 if possible

thx!
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Martin, Here is one http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...ff-system.html

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta