DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Starting from scratch... Lens brand and mounts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/496335-starting-scratch-lens-brand-mounts.html)

Ryan Creason June 4th, 2011 03:03 PM

Re: Starting from scratch... Lens brand and mounts?

I really wish there was a comprehensive list somewhere of parfocal lenses.

The E mount and A mount lenses are the only lenses that work with AF, am I correct?

Thank you again Bill for all the info. It's nice to find people willing to help :)

Jon Braeley June 4th, 2011 04:01 PM

I am told that A-Mount lenses, using the A to E Mount adapter are very slow. The AF works but it is slow.

Also there are 3rd party adapters in the works (two) that will have full electronic compatibility with lens and body, so this could also include AF.

The FS-100 has iris control within the camera, not on the lens, so many adapters will work with exposure changes but no auto-focusing.

Most of us do not use AF anyway.

Ryan Creason June 4th, 2011 04:32 PM

Yeah, auto focus isn't a big deal for me. The only time I use it is on ENG type shoots and I just use the one push button to grab focus when I'm zoomed out.

I really had wanted to upgrade to this camera, but now I'm thinking for my type of work I may not be able to until I can afford it + a decent zoom lens. I find even in interviews I need the zoom lens, to zoom in at crucial points. I know I can do a zoom in post, but I don't like to overdo it since I'd loose so much resolution.

Will only servo zoom lenses work with a zoom controller like a VariZoom? Also, since my XH-A1 has a servo zoom, is that why I can't control the zoom and focus simultaneously? I know... way too many questions >< haha.

Thanks again for everything.

Dan Asseff June 4th, 2011 05:08 PM

The FS100 has a lance jack. The removable handle is a lance controller. I am not sure but i think the stock lens works like a traditional camcorder lens.
Dan

Dave Morrison June 4th, 2011 07:10 PM

I think you mean LANC.

Dan Asseff June 4th, 2011 10:32 PM

yes you are right.

Dan

Jon Braeley June 5th, 2011 05:41 AM

I never use zoom in an interview and most of my films are interviews as a doc maker.

Focusing is critical in interviews - it has to be perfect and most zooms do not hold focus if you change focal length by zooming. I never advise this. I stop the interview during questions and change if I really have to.

The only time I need zooms is when we are moving from exterior to interior which happens fast on location - then I am stuck with a lens change ... so zooms really help - especially aa wide angle zoom.

Brian Drysdale June 5th, 2011 06:59 AM

I don't know which zoom lenses you've been using, but any cine or ENG video lens will hold it's focus assuming that the back focus has been correctly set up and there isn't a fault in the lens. Some focal lengths may be shaper than others, but they're not out of focus.

Brian Drysdale June 5th, 2011 09:34 AM

Here are some of the PL mount options:

ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews

Jon Braeley June 5th, 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1655636)
I don't know which zoom lenses you've been using, but any cine or ENG video lens will hold it's focus assuming that the back focus has been correctly set up and there isn't a fault in the lens. Some focal lengths may be shaper than others, but they're not out of focus.

I agree but I did not think we were talking about cine lenses here or video lenses - mainly still lenses where the majority do not hold accurate focus during a zoom - well not for interview work anyway where I use a more shallow DOF.

Brian Drysdale June 5th, 2011 01:00 PM

Yes, very few still zooms are parfocal. Here's a list that one rental company suggests:

LensRentals.com - Photo Lenses for Video

Jon Braeley June 5th, 2011 03:21 PM

This could be the perfect solution for e-mount cine style lenses ...

Zeiss Baby Primes with e-mounts. They are based on the Zeiss CP2's. Available end of July.

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: Zeiss babyPrimes for Sony NEX E-mount

Brian Drysdale June 5th, 2011 04:08 PM

P+S do their version of the Zeiss lenses.

http://www.pstechnik.de/downloads/TD...s_1009_web.pdf

Others that don't get mentioned are the Contax Zeiss lenses.

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/slr/slr.asp

These were modified to fit on Aaton 16mm film cameras by having the Contax mounts changed to Aaton. Unfortunately, they can't be used on PL mount, but an adapter will allow the Contex mount to be used on FS100. The click stops were still there, but in practise it was never a big deal, you just set the stop like any other cine lens. You can get gear rings made for them.

Jon Braeley June 7th, 2011 06:07 AM

Well one "El Cheapo" lens which is worth it even if its only to act as a dust cap, is this:

Sony SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Lens - E Mount.

I just picked a brand new one up on ebay for $165!!

I saw footage with this lens on a FS-100 attached to a helicopter and it was superb.

Jon Braeley June 8th, 2011 11:58 AM

Having got my FS-100 set up now ... old Nikon lens popped on there ... my first reaction is ...

This feels very flimsy. I havent heard any comments on the camera's robustness so I was unaware but the camera feels like very thin plastic everywhere... it feels like you can snap anything off... even the LCD. I film on locations in some tough places so I am concerened .. dust, rain ... this will not stand chance. Even my camera bag is not enough protection I think... it needs foam and a pelican case. It does feel so weak. I am used to magnesium and aluminum I guess.

I like the camera. I like the image. I like the controls. But I do worry it will not last one shoot where I go...... and forget about heavy lenses ... cinema lens? Please!! I have changed my mind completely on that score.

I cannot imagine anything more than 2Ibs on this or a matte box without massive support.

Just a first concern - maybe I will relax once I shoot.