Main kind of shooting with FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Main kind of shooting with FS100

I just got my camera, and was wondering what most of you are going to be shooting with this camera? My main reason was the low light and the DOF look. This camera is amazing in this area by the way. I have the Novoflex adapter for Nikon lens and it works very well with all my Nikon lens. I am not used to having to focus on every shot compared with the NX5. I have the SEL 1855 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens and the SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Alpha E-Mount Lens on order from B&H. The 18-55 have AF and Steady shot but the 16mm only has AF and not steady shot. I thought that the steady shot was in the camera and not only in the lens. I wish I could have gotten the stock lens now because it is more of a run and guns lens. Any body want to sell there lens? Overall I am very pleased with the camera though.
Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Main kind of shooting with FS100

Talking heads/interviews, B-Roll cutaways, macro work, beauty shots. (Nikkor 10mm f4, Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 17-55 2.8, Tokina 80-200 2.8, Tamron 90 2.5 Macro - all with declicked iris)

Probably more telling is what it won't be doing:

- Conference filming (need long range servo zoom)

- Multicam (got 2 EX1s for that, all colleagues have EX1s too, plus HD-SDI switchers & recorder)

- Run & gun where there's no time/chance to change lenses and I need OIS - Birger mount may change this though.

- Chromakey work (but again I may change my opinion on that once I test)

- 'Mystery' assignments when you just don't know WHAT you're filming and can only bring one camera (and for me as a EU based shooter, that includes trips to the US).

- Timelapse and slow-shutter stuff (the 550D will do that now)

There's little things like Electronic Shutter Control to tame screens, CRTs, troublesome LEDs. Gonna miss that. And a panbar mounted zoom control. And AB recording, and SxS and the rest...

But I sincerely hope that the FS100 will be my No1 go-to camera.
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Doc work ... to replace my big bulky Ex3 and the small but useless Canon 7D!

I will use 2 or 3 special primes and 2 big zooms - not sure which yet. Probably Zeiss primes for interviews.
All day zoom for run and gun. I have some Canon L glass as well. But buying new lenses for sure.

I shoot all manual always - focus and iris and the lot. Always have so used to it. I like the size and controls so far - mine arrived yesterday. Popped an old Nikon on to it.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Major Player

It's kind of funny that Sony marketed the FS100 for wedding and event shooters. The main reason I bought the camera is for the low light and DOF look, and that I could use my Nikon glass. I would of thought that the OS would have worked on any glass that you would have put on the camera. Isn't the Alpha cameras OS built in the camera? Well I am still very happy with the camera overall. I have a dance recital this weekend to try it out on, to see how it preforms. I get my E-mount 18-55mm lens today, so I am curous to see how a native lens works on this camera.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta