Fs100 vs Canon xf100/300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fs100 vs Canon xf100/300

I know there is a bunch of differance's between these but is there a major differance in Picture Quility. Would the fs100 be better because of the changeable lens.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fs100 vs Canon xf100/300

It really depends on what you want to use the camera for.

The Canon cameras have a better recording codec and the resolution of the XF300 is impressive and is accepted by HD broadcasters like the BBC as meeting their HD specs. It's the quality of the XF300 zoom lens allows it ti be accepted by the broadcasters.The FS 100 would need an extremal recorder to be accepted and may possibly be in the Panasonic AF 100 case by case situation.

The FS100 is intended to outperform the DSLRs and if you want a shallow DOF and/or to shoot in very low light levels the FS100 will meet your needs. The major difference in pictures would be the large sensor "look" and the sensitivity. Also, if you need to use prime lenses for your productions, zoom lenses are a bit more problematic on the large sensor cameras and can be expensive, unless you're happy with varifocal stills camera zooms.

If that's not important, but you want to shoot low budget broadcast HD, without needing accessories like Nanoflash etc, the XF300 would be the business. Something even more compact, but not needing broadcaster considerations the XF100.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
It's the quality of the XF300 zoom lens allows it ti be accepted by the broadcasters.
Uh, no, the lens has little to do with it's acceptance. It is the codec and relatively low noise for a 1/3" camcorder that got the 305 it's BBC approval. Then lens is OK, but not why it was approved.
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Indeed, it's the combination of these 3 items. The lens was mentioned because of the interchangeable lens aspect in the question. It was also an item which Alan Roberts found to be better than he expected.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys I'll use this info, for my second camera hopefully soon.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Space Hipster

I have the XF305. I really like the camera, the images are beautiful.
I am considering getting the FS100, but I'm trying to decide if I have to sell my XF to get one. I prefer not to, I'd rather have both, but I don't need both.
I like playing with my VG10, so the FS100 is very intriguing. I love playing with the depth of field.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta