Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting...

Now the excitement is gone - the FS-100 has arrived it's time to do a reality check. What happened to all the promised e-mount lenses? It is officially summer here.
I just did a quick check on blog updates and it looks bleak for any new lenses this summer. Sigma-Tamron and even Zeiss all stated they would have e-mount lens options - unless the tech blogs were overly optimistic which is often the case.

Yes I know adapters are out there - I have them. But native e-mount lenses give run and gun film makers more options for fast speedy shooting - one of my reasons to get onboard.

Anyone have an update to add to this?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Waiting for E-mount lenses... Waiting, Waiting...

Except for the $249 Sony 30mm f3.5 macro announced a few weeks ago (and not expected until October), all I hear is the sound of crickets.

I feel your pain -- I am a micro 4/3 shooter who is hoping that the flurry of announcements of new manufacturers joining the m4/3 system a couple of months ago turns into real lenses.

In the meantime, FS100 shooters are going to have to live with the

adapter and Sony Alpha lenses if they want any kind of "auto" lens capability.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill,

The only auto is auto iris on alpha lens, at least the one I tried. I don't understand why it wouldn't have auto focus too. I was wanting to see if I should buy alpha or nikon, well I guess it's nikon.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I am testing the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 with Alpha mount. so far looks fine. Iris works fine. I am told the stabilization works as well.
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Jon, does the auto focus work? I was looking at the Tokina 16-50 2.8 for Nikon but I would go with Sigma if it would auto focus. Keep us posted.

Dan
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I was told by the staff at "Sony Style" that only alpha lenses with SAM or SSM autofocus would autofocus using the E mount adapter
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Laurence, Thank you for that info. At least now I know what to get. The only problem is there isn't that many choices. Here is one but very pricey http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582764-REG/Sony_SAL1635Z_SAL_1635Z_16_35mm_f_2_8_ZA.html

Dan
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
I intend to buy this lens. The lens doesnt extrude when you zoom which is great if you want to use a matte box
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
Laurence, Thank you for that info. At least now I know what to get. The only problem is there isn't that many choices. Here is one but very pricey Sony SAL-1635Z 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss SAL1635Z B&H

Dan
Dan,

The 16-35 f2.8 is a fabulous piece of glass, but if you don't mind giving up a little at the wide end, the SAL-2875Z 28-75mm f2.8 SAM will save you over $1000 (and at

you get a little filter and cleaning kit to go along with it too ;-)).

Best,

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Major Player

The reason for the big price difference is that the SAL-2875Z 28-75mm f2.8 is not Zeiss.

Using A-mounts - Alpha lenses I am told the auto-focus when it does work is very very slow.... which really makes it impossible to use for video.

Auto focus does not work on the Sigma A-mount. But I never shoot in AF anyway. At $670 for the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 its a great deal.
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Jon, I had a suspicion that those lens wouldn't work. The only lens I have seen is the kit lens that focus slow. Here is an example some one did. Sony NEX-FS100 Automatic Focus Test - Sony NEX-FS100 Super 35mm User Group on Vimeo I think that the Carl Zeiss
lens would in theory be a lot faster being a 2.8, correct if i'm wrong. Bill, I need wider lens for wedding work. That is the main reason I need auto focus to. I don't do a lot of doc work where you always manual focus, I am more a run and gun shooter. But for reception were it is really dark I could get away with manual focus lens were it would be hunting to focus anyway. Decisions decisions.

Dan
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:33 AM   #12
New Boot

Lens options for FS100 on a Steadicam

Hi guys.

I operate a Steadicam with an NEX-FS100 camera, and I need to find a non-extruding zoom lens. As you all know, balance is everything with Steadicam. I can't have a lens extruding forward every time I want to do a telephoto shot. It would completely throw off the balance, and force me to reconfigure the sled for every shot. Highly impractical at best.

I also need a wide angle of at least 18mm, auto focus, auto iris, and a reasonable zoom range.

It would be nice if this were available as an E-mount option, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

I'm not above using an adapter if I have to.

What do you suggest.
Shawn Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Tourist

How about this lens:

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Zoom For Sony D-SLRs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622374-REG/Sigma_861205_18_50mm_f_2_8_4_5_DC_OS.html
Matteo Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Major Player

The only problem is they are not auto focus. The sad truth is the only auto focus are the E-mount lens. The 18-55 Sony E-mount would be your best bet in my opinion. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695868-REG/Sony_SEL1855_SEL_1855_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6.htmlDan
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Trustee

Hey guys,

On August 23rd or 24th, Sony will be announcing 3 new NEX lenses: Zeiss 20mm/1.8 ($999), 50mm 1.8 with OSS ($349) and 55-210 f4-6.3 with OSS plus a new Sony Alpha lens - 16-50 f2.8 ($799). Sony is also announcing the A65, A77 and NEX-7 (a Pro version) - all 24MP and using the AVCHD 2.0 standard which records at 28Mb/s - as well as a new VG-20 video camera with more manual controls.

There will also be a new LA-EA2 adapter allowing Alpha lenses to be used on the FS100 with very FAST AF speed similar to what you get on a current Alpha SLT camera.

FYI, Sony usually announces in the summer and releases for sale in October.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta