DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Shoulder rig suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/498085-shoulder-rig-suggestions.html)

Bruce S. Yarock July 5th, 2011 01:33 AM

Shoulder rig suggestions?

I want to put together a shoulder rig that's quick to assemble,balances the camera and accessories, and is comfortable. I have a multirig pro from dvtech in Israel, and have used it with several cameras over the last few years. I like it a lot for extended use, but dind it too time consuming and restrictive using the spring loaded support post, holster and belt fo the needed support, for run and gun situations.

I'd like to find something with counter balance weights on the back of the shoulder instead. Something that could quickly be picked up and put up on my shoulder, and taken off just as quickly. Zacuto has some pretty impressive rigs, but they are WAY out of my budget. Can anyone reccomend any other quality, yet affordable , options?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Paul Mailath July 5th, 2011 06:55 AM

Re: Shoulder rig suggestions?

I just picked up this - Chinese & cheap

Rod Support (Rail System) with Shoulder Mount for DSLR (eBay item 250845850954 end time 01-Jul-11 01:54:06 AEST) : Cameras Photo

I want to modify it to have 2 shoulder mounts and 1 handgrip - it makes sense to me, this one at least looks pretty adaptable.

Dan Asseff July 5th, 2011 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bruce, I have been thinking a long time on how to do exactly what you are talking about. I have looked at the one Doug Jensen posted about, but the all need a EVF to work as a shoulder rig. I have seen the one the Denny( I think that's his name) use from Zucto. The real question is what kind of lens are you using. The kit lens and most zoom lens would limit you from using a mattebox, so you could use a rail without the mattebox. But the way they made the viewfinder you have to have another way to view the picture. I am trying to save up for http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582764-REG/Sony_SAL1635Z_SAL_1635Z_16_35mm_f_2_8_ZA.html It has internal focusing and zooming so that I could use a my mattebox. Here is my rig I put together for my NX5 to make it a shoulder rig and stuck the FS100 to give you some ideas. I also used my multirig spring pod on this rig to.

Dan

Bruce S. Yarock July 7th, 2011 01:50 AM

Dan.
I don't ever use a mattbox, so that's not a real issue with me. I like the dv multirig pro, but it's not ideal for what I'm trying to do. But without some way to support the rig, it's too heavy on the arms. I was hoping there was something with back weights, like the Zacuto, that would work and wouldn't be so crazy expensive. The other rigs I've seen either have nothing to support it ( neither back weights nor post going down to the belt) or have a post to the belt (Shape,dv multirig pro).

As far as lenses, right now my options are either my collection of Nikon primes, or the Sony kit lens (which is better than I expected, especially for run and gun). I could also get a dumb adapter and use my Canon lenses wide open, which would work for some applications. The Birger adapter, if it ever comes out, would let me take advantage of the Canon lenses I already have. But for now I'll use the Nikon primes when there's time to set up, and the Sony 18-200 for run and gun.

I don't know if you saw my other thread asking about which arm to use or the Zacuto viewfinder.. I already have the z finder and was thinking about getting the Zacuto snap monitor.. But I also wanted to get some kind of arm so that I could position it somewhere on the left side of the camera, as it should be.

I recently sold my two Canon A1's but still have my trusty H1. My plan was to also sell the H1 and all it's accessories, and maybe get a 2nd FS100 body, but I don't want to get rid of the H1 untill I have a comfortable working support rig for the FS100 and the Zacuto snap monitor ( to use with my z finder).
I also wonder if there is a way to attach an Anton bauer mount, like the Gold mount on my Canon H1. I have a Frezzi mini fill with an Anton Bauer connection .
Regards
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock July 7th, 2011 01:53 AM

Paul,
That rig looks pretty good, but how would you support it?
Bruce Yarock

Dan Asseff July 7th, 2011 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bruce,
I would get some kind of rail system like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335222-REG/Cavision_RS_15IIM_RS_15IIM_Rod_Support_System.html with a 12inc. rods and get a slide on shoulder pad and mount some weight on the back for counter the weight of the FS100. I think any arm would work with all the mounts this camera has. Here is the guy how help design the the FS100 rig.

Dan

Alister Chapman July 7th, 2011 09:02 AM

There is always the Genus Video Shoulder Rig: Genus Video Shoulder Mount G-VCSMK - Shoulder Mounts - Genus Video and DSLR products

Bruce S. Yarock July 7th, 2011 09:39 AM

Allister,
The genus looks nice. Too expensive for me right now. I 'll probably have to stick with the multirig pro, or buy a cheaper one and rig some weights on back.
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock July 7th, 2011 09:45 AM

Dan,
I already have two different rail systems. One I bought from Genus a couple of years ago, and which I've used for one of my Canon 7d's. The other is the Letus Extreme rail system which I bought when I got my letus extreme 4 years ago.I'll have to figure out which of the rails would work better. The letus rig is way biug, but totally adjustable, and for the little bit of money I could have gotten for it, I decided to keep it for now.
I ordered the Small Hd arm reccomended in my other thread, and am getting the Zacuto evf snap. Hopefully tomorrow I can try to put this puzzle tigether.
Bruce Yarock
P.S.- is Port orange up near Daytona, or on the other coast? I'm in the Lauderdale area.
Let's talk sometime-email yme your phone number to yarock at a o l dot com

Peter Mykusz July 10th, 2011 10:05 AM

Re: SA mount

1 Attachment(s)
I rented a camera from www.joesutherland.com here in Toronto and found Joe's solution to be very useful. He has several cameras with zoom lenses with Zacuto EVFs mounted on a SA tripod mount. This mount allows you to add accessories such as a battery and additional recorder for backup. The mount is well made as I have one on another camera.
A photo tells the whole story.

Dan Asseff July 10th, 2011 05:43 PM

Peter,
That looks great. I see there is the Novoflex mount that I have, what was the nikon lens range? Do you happen to know what the length of the Israel arm is? The arm and EVF is the only thing I lack to make mine a shoulder mount, so I want to make the right choice before I buy.

Dan

Bruce S. Yarock July 10th, 2011 06:40 PM

Peter,
Thanks for the info. I called southerland's and the gave me the name of a guy in Toronto who makes the rigs for them. They look well made, but his stuff isn't cheap...$950 for the basic rig.

Dan
I also need to figure out which arm to get. The one I bought from small hd is too short, and I definately don't want to attach the arm into one of the 1/4 20 holes on top.

Bruce Yarock

Peter Jordan May 14th, 2012 09:42 PM

Hi Bruce, can you share the name of the guy in Toronto who makes these rigs? does he have a website?

And did you end up purchasing? Am interested to hear your experience...

Thanks!
Peter