Sun Shade options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sun Shade options

So I was planning on buying the FS100 with the kit lens and the heliopan ND for it. I was told that the heliopan doesn't have threads on the outside of it. What are some good options for a sun shade? I am going to buy a matte box sooner or later, but that requires more than just a matte box. Also, the stock lens doesn't work to well with one because of the zoom. I do a lot of ENG type work and don't always have time to mess with a matte box or anything like that, so anyone have a good simple option, or is just shading with my hand going to be the best option? Thanks in advance for any advice!

EDIT: Also... if I were to do the matte box option, what should I be looking for? Any opinions on which is the one to go with?

http://www.dvcity.com/dvshop/PROAIM-...MARKII-7D.html - This one was listed at one point. Seems really cheap... which makes me weary.
Ryan Creason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sun Shade options

Ryan,

I'm in the same situation as you. I bought the FS-100 and the Heliopan.
While talking with Heliopan, it appears they are aware that people
want a sunshade and may be working on an option for a snap on sunshade
which will be available later. For my 'run and gun' non matte box
shooting, I went with this sunshade:

I ordered it last week, and should get it in before too long. It
can extend into 3 different lengths, which is nice if you are shooting
wider angles, you can just collapse it partway. Also, it can give you
access to dial in the fader on the Heliopan. Plus it's cheap. Those
make it a good 'stop gap' solution in my mind.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I have used these rubber hoods in combination with step up rings. It will get into the picture on some really wide lenses, like 11mm , 16mm.

Right now, the only solution I see is to buy a second, exact size match ND fader filter for the wide lenses, to avoid step up rings. Buying a second filter will hurt the pocketbook further if you are buying the high quality versions.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Several issues here.
1) reviews of the kit zoom lens are very discouraging,
2) why do you say a matte-box will not go with the kit lens? Any effective matte-box is supported by rails.
3) why do you need to buy another fader for a wide angle lens, since a non-variable ND is all that's needed for run-n-gun.

In another thread: the Rokinon lenses deserve a look. Remarkably cheap if they are as good as people say. Yes are all primes, but you can work perfectly well with them (OK, changing lenses without an assistant can be tedious in run-n-gun). If I have to choose between a poor zoom and a single good prime, I take the prime (adjust frame by moving feet). A 14mm (f/2.8), 35mm and 85mm (both f/1.4) set would be quite nice (yes, I know, twice the price of the kit lens and that reaches out to 200mm at a max of f/6.3). There are a lot of lenses out there.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

A high end option might be: ARRI Group: Lightweight Matte Box LMB-3

These clamp onto the 80mm outside dia of cine lenses, but you can get adapter rings fitted to your lens. Also, without the 80 mm adapter ring the newer 95mm dia cine lenses.
You may be able to pick up a used example, they're well made, so last for years and extremely quick to use. Film documentary camera people used them fitted onto their zoom lenses.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.

Serena. I've heard good and bad things about the kit lens. I've heard the picture quality is good, but it's a very slow lens. For a lot of my work, I don't need a fast lens, and when I do, I can use the A-mount primes or the Rokinon which I plan on investing in later. Right now, I just need one lens to do as much as possible. For $600, that lens outclasses any others that I can find in versatility.

I saw a matte box won't go with the kit lens because the lens extends almost double it's length when zoomed. I would have to adjust the matte box after every zoom, which I may not have time for.

Has anyone heard anything about the kit that I posted? Seems like it has it all. Would be nice to get a rod system with the matte box.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd get a clip on matte box, it will extend out with the lens because it's mounted onto the lens rather than rails. Of course, the lens construction mightn't be up to this compared to the professional video and cine lenses, but the lighter examples (like the Arri above) aren't heavy. However, this may cost as much as your lens, although I suspect it will last much longer than the lens and can be fitted to many lenses and prove cost effective in the long run.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I haven't invested yet in a higher price fader ND filter, and I was considering something only in the $200 range, obviously you can spend twice that. I just realized one downside of an expensive fader ND is that it would be quite a loss if it gets damaged (low cost UV filters protect expensive lenses). You really need some protection on the front end of a $400 ND fader to protect it. So one that has threads on the front is important feature for an expensive ND.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Creason View Post

Serena. I've heard good and bad things about the kit lens. .
Checking later reviews they do read more favourably and I hadn't appreciated that indeed it would be very difficult to use with the usual rail supported matte-box. So my comments need revision.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Does any1 know anything about the rig that I posted in the original post?

PROAIM MB-700 Matte box with dv rail system for EX3 EX1 5D MARKII 7D VX21000 JVC 100U DV DSLR CAMS (this one)
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Sorry to post again, but what are things you want to make sure and have in a matte box / rail system for the FS100? I've never owned one so I don't know what I want to look for and what I want to stay away from. Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Ryan,

If you have the kit lens the matte box will not work. You need to use a prime lens or a lens with internal focusing and zoom. I don't understand what you are trying to do. Do you have other lens to use? I have this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335222-REG/Cavision_RS_15IIM_RS_15IIM_Rod_Support_System.html and built off of that. There other post that have nice rigs but the main problem is that you have to have a EVF to use the camera any other way than hand holding. Hope that helps.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Check out IndiSystems. They have a clamp-on matte box w/ French flag for $99.00. It's called the indiGO-MATTE. Worked for me on the same kit 18-200 lens which was mounted to a NEX-VG10. Very light. I also installed a variable ND filter within the matte box.

indiSYSTEM - Home

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I am looking for something that is adjustable for when I choose different focal lengths on the kit lens, but I also plan on investing in some other fixed focal length lenses as the money comes in. I know that the kit lens extends as it zooms, but I had wanted long enough rails mounted on my tripod where I can adjust the matte box if needed for zoom shots.
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Major Player

Ryan,

I think Junior hit it on the nail for you. Here is a direct link to that matte box indiSYSTEM - indiGO-MATTE

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta