Holding off purchasing nex FS100 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #91
Major Player

Re: Holding off purchasing nex FS100

Since we're talking about older lens here, I wanted,to post something I asked,somewhere else, just those what everyone here thinks. This is what I wrote.....

In the process of getting to know my first real "pro" camera (fs100). Been playing will all the settings and such. I've made an observation, and wanted to ask if my conclusions are correct. I'm currently using very inexpensive canon fd lenses, until I have the funds for, nicer higher end lens. When using the peaking function (has 3 settings, high, medium, and low. I'm using set on low), I've noticed situations when I have (or feel I have) good focus (on what it is I'm trying to focus on), but there is no peaking indication at all, and other times when there is. With out having a newer, better quality lens to compare it to yet, I'm concluding that this is showing my older lens to be less, sharp at times. I'm wondering if that is correct? This is my first interchangeable lens camera, and am learning a lot, about many different things. I'm a person who isn't so great at being taught things, but rather I need to dig in, and figure things out on my own.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #92
Trustee

I'm not sure your conclusion are OK. The peaking system on the FS100 is OK at best. It needs very good and clear edge and no movement to show the peaking indicator. Low is unreliable and useless. Med should be your setting in my opinion. But this peaking is a joke. Miles away from a true peaking found on ENG view finder.

By the way the peaking function in Zacuto and SmallHD EVF is closer to the ones on pro ENG viewfinder, and much more usable. You should get one.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #93
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald View Post
I'm not sure your conclusion are OK. The peaking system on the FS100 is OK at best. It needs very good and clear edge and no movement to show the peaking indicator. Low is unreliable and useless. Med should be your setting in my opinion. But this peaking is a joke. Miles away from a true peaking found on ENG view finder.

By the way the peaking function in Zacuto and SmallHD EVF is closer to the ones on pro ENG viewfinder, and much more usable. You should get one.
Thanks for the feedback. An external monitor is on my shopping list. For use on my camera, and also for use on the steady cam and crane. I was thinking the dp6, as opposed to a smaller one.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #94
Major Player

I found Jean-Phillipe's comment to be very true, particularly on wide landscape shots. The difference between razor sharp and slightly soft is often undetectable by the camera's peaking, especially true when the lens is focusing near infinity..

Alister Chapman once commented that the infinity setting on some lenses, particularly prime lenses designed for still photography, are often variable from lens to lens. He was referring to the fact that a lens could focus passed the infinity mark, yielding an unsharp image.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta