New rig for the FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New rig for the FS100

Here's the first in a proposed range of rigs.

Aimed at the professional market and perhaps more than many people need, but there seems to be a market for these rigs for the new crop of compact cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New rig for the FS100

It's very impressive, some really nice engineering, but it seems just way over the top for for the FS100. It's surely going to take the cost into Red Scarlet territory.
Old November 13th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, more C300 or F3 I think.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Major Player

It's some cool equipment, I emailed them about the top plate, monitor arm, and handle. The 3 items were over 1k. I like their stuff, but i don't like it that much.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Major Player

If there were a way to mount the EVF arm without the top plate and lens adapter - I'd be all over it. That is one sweet EVF arm.
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Tourist

I am glad someone is paying attention and thought to post this. My name is Carlos Acosta and I designed this particular rig. I will explain a bit so you can understand why this exists.

First off, this system is only targeted towards professionals. The goal is not to pimp the camera, but rather give the DP a better chance of capturing great images and capture more of them per day. On set, time is money, regardless of what camera is in play a 7D or an Alexa or an F65. What you see in the video is a no excuses quick change system wrapped around an FS100 for the sole purpose of making it faster and more flexible for cinema style shooting. It allows super fast changes of lens mounts, handles, base plate, hand held, etc. For ultralight, low-budget, one-man-band work it clearly makes no sense. For those interested in bigger lenses, vehicle mounts, cinema style accessories and they want a solid feel - this is it. I really enjoy having confidence in my gear while I am shooting. I don't want a hundred adjustments with allen wrenches and iris rods. I just want it to fit and work.

There is no question that this does not benefit everyone, especially those looking for the cheapest options. We have designed primarily for the ultra high-end over the years - Viper, F23, F35, Military, etc. When I first looked at the FS100, I quickly noticed that the images are totally pro while the camera itself is a toy. While cost was not our greatest concern, we did not want it to be completely silly either. The full package with all the bells and whistles - including the PL mount which is the more expensive - Is $3,500. Add the camera and your are up to $8,500. The starting point for Scarlet is $10k which is not even functional yet.

Good and expensive engineering has seriously found it's way into Canon 7D's and 5D's that are a fraction of the price of an FS100. Why not have a totally sweet camera that makes great pictures and is very versatile?

Yes, the EVF support can be standalone although the top plate provides a pile of function. You do not have to have the lens support, base plate, etc. We are doing all the same for the C300, F3, EPIC/SCARLET, and a different system for the Sony F65.

Glad I saw this thread. I hope this clears up the purpose of this system.
Carlos Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Carlos, for a clear and concise explanation of your design. I think your point is quite valid.

Although some might see this as overkill, if you require the strength and agility needed for the rigors of everyday production, you'd probably find that equipment like this will quickly pay for itself in it's ease of operation and the protection it affords the FS100. The camera is capable of incredible imagery, but would quickly suffer under heavy use.

If you're goal is to just pimp out your camera, get the cheap stuff from India,
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Agree with Chuck this is nice gear that will help make money for the camera operator.

Thanks Carlos it looks great even though I don't use the FS100.

Chuck do you own a FS100?
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Major Player

No Paul, I'm currently using an F3, but I did a month of test shooting for Sony and I found the FS100 to be an amazing performer. I also often found the camera a bit awkward to handle in many situations and some of these accessories would have certainly improved my workflow.

Here is one of my test samples:

http://duckyou.com/video/FS_100.mov
http://duckyou.com/video/FS_100.wmv

Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ah yes the city is a great subject. Thanks
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Chuck, i take it the FS100 you tested was with the stock lens. Being on a limited budget that's probably all i could afford. If you had to pick one good all around lens for that camera what would it be. Thanks
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Major Player

None of it was shot with the stock Sony18-200 lens. I used that for about an hour and thought the camera was awful. Fortunately, that same afternoon, I received an adaptor to use my Nikon lenses and the world was a better place. First of all, the lens was too slow at 3.5-5.6. I did not like the way the lens focused and the aperture sort of chunked into place. I would rarely use the "auto" features. so I didn't feel as if I was missing anything using a manual lens.

"One good all around lens" depends on what you like to do. If you shoot nature get a longer lens, talking heads or weddings would require something else.

I find myself using two lenses. A 24-70 2.8 and an 80-200 2.8. Both are a bit costly when purchased new, as 35mm lenses go, but you can find decent deals on lots of different brands that will work well with the camera. I also had decent success with a Tamron 28-105 2.8 which gave me more of a middle of the road range. Found that on Ebay for $250.

Last edited by Chuck Fishbein; November 19th, 2011 at 01:23 AM.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta