what dslr video would match best with the fs100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: what dslr video would match best with the fs100?

It feels like Déjà vu... IMHO and experience, you can twist an FS100 to look like a 5D 'on a good day' but you can't go the other way. Here's a test I did a while back:

If I did the test again, I'd dial out the detail to -7 and add sharpening in post 'like wot u should do' - notice how the bokeh in the FS100 shots are sharpened. I can't believe I let that slide!

So, I shoot with a colleague who is absolutely devoted to 5D using Philip Bloom's settings (not Technicolor). I can supply rushes that will match his 5D but without the moire and aliasing. But it does, at times, remind me of the old adage that 'the best SD is HD downsampled right'.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald View Post
as a B camera? B as backup or occasional second angle? Nex 5 is perfect. Take no place in the (same) case or bag, cost almost nothing. And why rig it?
Ah, I think we have different definitions of B camera. Yes as a spare camera in your bag for an emergency backup, it's hard to beat the tiny size.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Trustee

I presumed that for the OP, since he was looking for a less expensive camera, B camera means occasionnal use.

But I can be wrong. If he is going to use it a lot in a two cameras environement, than the "perfect B camera" is a second FS100. That's what I do personnaly, but my cameras aren't labeled A and B...
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
It feels like Déjà vu... IMHO and experience, you can twist an FS100 to look like a 5D 'on a good day' but you can't go the other way. Here's a test I did a while back:

Samyang 35mm f1.4 compared with EX1 and Canon 50mm on Vimeo

If I did the test again, I'd dial out the detail to -7 and add sharpening in post 'like wot u should do' - notice how the bokeh in the FS100 shots are sharpened. I can't believe I let that slide!

So, I shoot with a colleague who is absolutely devoted to 5D using Philip Bloom's settings (not Technicolor). I can supply rushes that will match his 5D but without the moire and aliasing. But it does, at times, remind me of the old adage that 'the best SD is HD downsampled right'.
matt-

thanks for the sample footage.

samyang looks sweet.

if i make ask,

how far away was the camera from the subject?

how far away was the subject from the bookcase?

thanks in advance for any info you care to provide.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I recently purchased and used a Sony 5n on a recent corporate shoot. The image matches almost perfectly to the FS100. Much more than a Canon DSLR ( I couldn't for the life of me get the image of my 5d to come close without extensive color grading).

A few caveats: the 5n noise pattern is much more blocky and is more apparent in shadows than the FS. The 5n cannot be used with external mics (which is fine for me, I just use the on board mic recording for sync reference). The dynamic range is less. With these caveats, I wouldn't use the 5n mixed with an FS unless final delivery of the video is DVD or Web hd. For me that is corporate videos. I think the two cameras are distinguishable otherwise... like if viewed on blue ray, hd broadcast, or a motion picture projection.

It was great using the cam clamps to ceilings, suction cupped to windows, and stuck in hard to reach areas (one shot was from within a refrigerator, haha). I also like the ability to 'touch' the screen to areas I want to focus on. Helps with speed. So for me the use of a tiny bcam for speed and for mounting options makes it worth it...and the 5n looks so close to the FS.

Don't forget, it's only $650 and comes with a decent lens! :)
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #21
Trustee

I had two Canon 7d's (along with my Canon HDV tape cam) before I bought the FS100. I kept one of the 7d's and also bought the Sony NX5U as a companion camera. The NX5 cuts perfectly with the FS100,, and has video features missing from the FS100 (zoom, nd filter, etc.).
We've done some multicam shoots with the FS100, NX5 and 2 7D's. No color correcting needed with the Sonys, but the 7D has much more red and needs to be corrected, even when shooting in neutral. But it's not a huge amount of work to get the 7d closer to the Sonys.
Bruce Yrock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta