external rec for fs100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: external rec for fs100

The SmallHD DP6 has HDMI in only. The DP4 has HDMI loopthrough.

SmallHD sells a HDMI splitter to use if you need to drive multiple devices. I use it it to send one HDMI to my DP6 and the second output to a wireless HDMI transmitter for the directors monitor.

There is no signal degradation with the splitter.
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Trustee

Chris,
Could the small hd splitter be used to for the camera out to both an atomos ninja and the Zacuto evf?
Small HD says that it can split the signal to 2 monitors, but my interest is to split it to both the ninja and the zacuto.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Mini Self-Powered 1 x 2 HDMI Splitter
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Sure. Its output can be used with any HDMI device. I don't have a Ninja to test it with but I have tried it with my PIX240 and it works.
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Trustee

Thankds, Chris
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
A recent update from my Sony reseller: The Atmos Ninja can now be triggered through the HDMI connection, which solves the LANC problem it had will the FS.
Bill could you elaborate on this info! Is this a Sony firmware update or a Atomos Ninja firmware update that allows for triggering the Ninja via the HDMI out from the FS100
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hurley View Post
Bill could you elaborate on this info! Is this a Sony firmware update or a Atomos Ninja firmware update that allows for triggering the Ninja via the HDMI out from the FS100
My understanding is that is tweak that Ninja did. Prob best to check with them for confirm.
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Trustee

Just a random note about the FS100 and Ninja (admittedly from a PAL perspective): Use ProRes HQ mode for a visible quality difference. Anything less is only a workflow thing (ProRes LT is still good for bulk records).
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
Just a random note about the FS100 and Ninja (admittedly from a PAL perspective): Use ProRes HQ mode for a visible quality difference. Anything less is only a workflow thing (ProRes LT is still good for bulk records).
Hi Matt,

Have you got any side by side samples? Curious as ever...

Where do you see the differences?

cheers
Paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #24
Trustee

Not my tests (I'm doing some next Tuersday) but

FS100 + Ninja | Philip Bloom Forum

If you download his stills, check out the difference on the white shop in the bgd - the sharpness of the shop name, less aliasing in the sagging material in the window. Notice the extra crunch in the brick and stone work. Look at the blurred cars, note the extra detail in the blurs.

It's subtle, but if you're motion tracking on green screen, that's going to be a better key AND a better track. And it's enough to get me interested again.
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Just take a look at this one...
ATOMOS Ninja – Sony FS100. codec comparison test ‹ PrePost
Erwin Vanderhoydonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #26
New Boot

PIX 240 support rigs I built forthe FS100. #1 is a simple wood support. Both it and the mainly metal rig screw into the two 1/4-20 threaded holes on top of the camera. The second is a lightweight metal rig, shown before the main support legs were encased in aluminum tubes. Both rigs put the PIX unit high up, to clear the viewfinder screen. The wood support also moves it to the right side for clearance with less height.
The metal parts were later covered with gaffers tape, and the wood parts painted black. They hold the unit well, but with only one mounting hole, the PIX can wobble side to side a bit, harmlessly but a mild irritation.
Both are not too compicated to build. I can supply measurements if anyone wants.
The photos are apparently not going to show up in the order I uploaded them. The wood rig has a single vertical leg, and the metal one has 2 legs.
Attached Images

Chuck Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin Vanderhoydonks View Post
That test seems flawed. As was mentioned in a different thread, it looks like the AVC footage might not have been deinterlaced by the editing software, therefore the AVC footage is half the resolution it should be.

The differences are not that dramatic!

cheers
Paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kerrigan View Post
Chuck, please post photos of your 2 configuration.

Because many of my broadcast and corporate clients won't except AVCHD, I also bought a PIX240.
But I haven't found a satisfactory mounting solution.

I'm using the PIX as a monitor/viewfinder on a FS100, F3, EX3, Z5... and mounting it beside the lens so the camera can rest on my shoulder.
FS100 Users
Hi Bill, mind posting a photo of your rig? What are you using for the shoulder pad? I'm interested in having an external recorder double as a monitor for shoulder mounting also. Thank you.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:08 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I can see a need for an external recorder if you want to use the FS100 for broadcast duties, such as Discovery HD and the BBC HD. From what I understand, the AVCHD codec isn't accepted by high end broadcast outlets. It's fine for local broadcasts, as I've shot several commercials for the local affiliates.

If anyone has used their FS100 with just the internal codec for a big broadcast outlet - ESPN, Discovery, National Geographic, BBC, etc. - please let us know.

I'm not critisizing the AVCHD codec, but we don't set the standards for broadcasting.
I wonder what would happen if you just shot AVCHD and converted to prores or ciniform and then handed over to them. Would they even know?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta