This is something "new". SD card records buffer transferring sound - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: This is something "new". SD card records buffer transferring sound

My FS-100 will arrive in a week or so, and i have to say that what i've red in the last two weeks is worrying me a lot.
From what i understand here: when i have to shoot something with the FS-100 i have to take with me my other camera (PMW-350) for audio recording and for shots where i might have sensor reflections problems!!!!!! I REALY HOPE NOT.....
What do other FS-100 owners have to say on that and how many people have had these kind of problems?
What about Sony service?,are we alone here?...i feel your pain Alexander..
Samer
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Alexander, my suggestions:

1. Send the camera into Sony for service. I have not done this because I need the camera and I have ways to work around the problem. I would love to hear that they have a solution for this before I send mine in. I have contacted service, they just say send it in.

2. This isolator has allowed me to use a battery powered XLR microphone on Channel 2. It cuts the beeps so you really can't hear them much. Success may vary with the mic used and unknown conditions.

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-373-isoblox.aspx

Lots of sources for this filter, including EBAY.

3. Use only XLR mics that get their power from the camera.

4. Use battery powered mics only on Channel 1.

5. Don't use the FMU unit.

6. And ALWAYS wear headphones when recording.

Galen

Last edited by Galen Rath; February 21st, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
I'm thinking, but for one thing, you need to slide the upper switch to LINE if you have no mic attached to that channel.
Galen,

Thanks for your message. I appreciate your help very much.
Even when both channels are switched to line the problem is there and I can't help solving it in any way, only by using another SD card. I just can't send it to Sony service due to a lot of work with it. I use Zoom H1 with clip mic for stand up recordings or my good old friend - HVR-S270 for now. In early March, when the update is released I'll send my camera to Sony Service. Until this camera is under guarantee let it be their headache but not mine.

Samer,
Thanks for your support. I should say that if we take away the "beeping" issue then the camera is great in any other respect.

Regards,
Alex
Alexander Timanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Major Player

Alexander,

Another person is reporting an sound interference problem when the remote recording button on the handgrip is plugged into the camera, so try disconnecting that.

Galen
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Is he sure about that? I mean, is the handgrip capable of doing that? How? Maybe he's having the same problem as we do?
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Major Player

I've read that SanDisk cards suffer this issue more than others. From experience, I can say that so far, the only time I noticed the beeping was via the SanDisk 32GB card. I only heard it in the headphones during monitoring, not during the edit phase.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I've read that SanDisk cards suffer this issue more than others. From experience, I can say that so far, the only time I noticed the beeping was via the SanDisk 32GB card. I only heard it in the headphones during monitoring, not during the edit phase.
I beleive that It wouldn't be such a problem if that beeping occured only during monitoring. But these beeps are there on the timeline and this is the major problem.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Timanov View Post
Is he sure about that? I mean, is the handgrip capable of doing that? How? Maybe he's having the same problem as we do?
Alexander, I am not sure if he is having the same problem exactly. I assume the cable to the remote button on the handgrip may not be insulated well enough to eliminate RF interference (?). His description of how it was interacting with his Sennheiser G2 wireless receiver follows:

"On a shoot we got this constant interference (almost like a mobile beeping and buzzing interence) and at first I thought it was the OS on the lens so I turned that off. Then I moved the receiver away from the camera body and let it dangle behind the camera but still got interference. Then I noticed everytime I passed the receiver over the handgrip cable, the interference noise would come on everytime. I disconnected the handgrip and that was the end of it. It's quite obvious the handgrip cable is cheap and flimsy with no shielding whatsoever. "
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Galen,

Thanks for posting.

I should say that we didn't use handgrip during the shots, so unlikely it caused troubles. Actually, it all seems to me that the problem is there with one of the system borads and it arises later on not out of the box.

Alex
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM   #25
Regular Crew

The solution of the problem so far was changing SD card.
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Major Player

reviving an old post in looking for info about "best" sd card to be used with my fs100.

i'm thinking about:

sandisk extreme/class 10/45mb/uhs-1
sandisk extreme pro/class 10/90mb/uhs-1

i have used transcend class 10/uhs-1 in the past without incident.

i wonder what the original poster used and what card he ended up using.

thanks in advance for any info folks care to share.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Rob,

I've been using Sandisk Extreme class 10 30mb/s for a while now,and I have to say that it worked perfectly until now. never had issues with it, I got two of them, honestly i don't see the point of using 45mb or even higher. I also used these cards with an adapter for sxs recording with my PMW-350 and also there i had no problems, although i prefer not to use it with my PMW-350 but only in emergency cases.

regards

Samer
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Regular Crew

The original poster uses the same card that do not cause any interference. As I wrote before that was Transcend 32GB SDHC (SDXC) class 10. Silicon Power cards are not good for me. All of them beep all the time, so I can use them only for video or in my GoPro.

I think there is no sense looking for something else as I'm completely satisfied with results. As we say here in Ukraine: "Better - is the enemy of the Good"

Regards,
Alex
Alexander Timanov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta