Can e mount support 70-200 without rails? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can e mount support 70-200 without rails?

Does anyone know if the e mount will support the weight of a Sony 70-200 w/LA-EA2 without using rails or any other kind of support? I've read a number of threads from users who are concerned that the e mount isn't up to the task and therefore use rails or other support out of an abundance of caution. Does anyone know for a fact if the e mount can or cannot support a 70-200 without rails or baseplate? Thanks so much!

Mike
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Can e mount support 70-200 without rails?

The fact that the lens ships from Canon with a support says a lot.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Trustee

it depends, when I shoot NEX5n, 60D or 5D i attach QR plate to the lens collar and put it on tripod, and attach camera to the lens, not the other way around, but if your camera is heavier than lens, for tripod shots i would use support.
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm sure it goes without saying, but I should have mentioned that this would be for the FS100. I'm on the fence trying to decide if I want to purchase this camera or not and if so, what kind of accessories and support systems will be needed. From the sounds of it, looks like I'll need some rails when mounting the 70-200.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Mike
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Major Player

I use that lens often and always use a support. It's just not worth it as there are multiple points of possible failure (the e-mount and the EF adapter).
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #6
New Boot

Never use a heavy lens without a support of some kind. You will break you FS100 if you hang that lens off the front with no support.
Michael Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bray View Post
Does anyone know if the e mount will support the weight of a Sony 70-200 w/LA-EA2 without using rails or any other kind of support? I've read a number of threads from users who are concerned that the e mount isn't up to the task and therefore use rails or other support out of an abundance of caution. Does anyone know for a fact if the e mount can or cannot support a 70-200 without rails or baseplate? Thanks so much!

Mike
The FS100 can not support a 70-200MM lens.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta