Kit lens 18-55 equal good/bad to 18-200 lens? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Kit lens 18-55 equal good/bad to 18-200 lens?

The e-mount 50mm f1.8 is a good one too, the IS is very good for handheld shoot.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
What can I say, I guess I just have higher expectations than you.
Doug,

be nice.

Frank,

What lens hood do you use on the 18-200?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Vortex Media

Dan, I didn't mean that as an insult. I am totally serious. Different people have different expectations of what they expect from the equipment they use. I'm sure someone else may not think that the lenses I use meet their expectations for performance if they are used to using Master Primes or something in that league. When it comes to cameras, lenses, etc. they are all like rungs on a ladder. For some people a lower rung is all they need and it gets the job done for them. That's fine. All I'm saying is that the 18-200 stock lens is several rungs down on the ladder from every professional lens I've used in my 30-year career, and I'm not going down that low just to save a few bucks. The supposed benefits of the lens that Frank touts mean absolutely nothing to me, and the disadvantages of the lens are deal breakers.

Good lenses are expensive for a reason, and you won't be sorry for investing in quality glass that will serve you well throughout your career --- with all of your future cameras and not just the FS100 or FS700. Unless someone is expecting to retire soon, I think is it wise to invest in the best lenses that you can afford. You'll do better work, you'll enjoy working with it more, you'll have better resale value, and all of that increases the bottom line financially that more than justifies the cost for a professional. Of course, if someone is just a hobbyist, then it doesn't really matter what they do. My comments are intended for the serious professional who expects to make a six figure income and have a reputation for doing great work. If you aim low, you'll hit low.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #34
Major Player

Doug,

Points well taken. It's not that I don't disagree with you on the kit lens but for the work I do (wedding run-n-gun), There is not another E mount lens that can auto focus with an stabilizer and cover the distance out there. I just don't think in a run-n-gun situation you can keep it steady and in focus in that situation. As I said earlier, I would love to have $5000.00 and up lens but for wedding work it is hard financially to justify that expense. All i am saying is it is a tool and for what it is designed for it works. Maybe not perfect by any means but it works. Also maybe because I have not use those lens you use, I don't know what i am missing.

Dan
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
Doug,

be nice.

Frank,

What lens hood do you use on the 18-200?

Dan
Itīs one of those rubber shades, that fold back in 3 steps, so it adjusts to FOV without vignetting.
I have it always on my vari ND and also use it as a donut for my real mattebox.
Extremely versatile and only a few bucks.

@Doug - I agree wit 90% you said, but for the last 10% that lens is pretty useful in certain situations.
Itīs not a matter of money you want to pay, but there is no other lens (that Iīm aware of) out there that has a stabilizer in that class plus auto focus. All the adapters for other lenses only work to some degree.
I look at it as a specialty lens, you donīt need it often, but in some situations it saves the bacon.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
Itīs one of those rubber shades, that fold back in 3 steps, so it adjusts to FOV without vignetting.
I have it always on my vari ND and also use it as a donut for my real mattebox.
Extremely versatile and only a few bucks.
Yeah - I've also used this type of hood ever since I purchased the Redrock matte box for using with my EX1; it was at that time meant as a temporary "adapter" for the EX1 (a real thing was never actually released by RR)...

But Frank is right that it's very versatile; I use it with all my Canon FD glass - it's the only way to have the Heliopan vari ND and a sunshade, as the Heliopan doesn't have an external thread. The rubber thingy having double thread, it holds my Heliopan permanently and only is moved between the lens (or rather their step up rings) as I change them on my FS100. Recommended!
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #37
Major Player

Piotr,Frank.

Do you have a link by any chance? Thanks

Dan
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Piotr,Frank. Do you have a link by any chance? Thanks
Dan, you can buy them everywhere - one of the places is the same eBay seller I bought my FD->NEX adapters from:

Lens Hood 77mm 3 Stages Collapse Rubber 3 in 1 | eBay

Very cheap, but functional (order several!)

Piotr
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #39
Major Player

Piotr,

Thank you, now I understand.

Dan
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
I have to disagree with most about the 18-200kit lens. Yes it has some problems but how many that are criticizing the lens has actually use it. I used it at an air show filling very fast planes and it did better than my NX-5 at staying in focus. This lens is a tool and there are situations were it won't work, mainly very dark venues. Here is my first wedding i did with the FS-100 and i was very happy how the lens worked. The very dark reception i use the 16m lens and some nikor primes.
Michelle and Peter on Vimeo

Dan
Hi Dan..thanks for sharing...what frame rate did you use?
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #41
Major Player

Hi Mark,

60i at 1080.

Dan
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #42
Contributor

anybody reading this thread should be advised that the kit lens now only adds about $200 - $250 to the price of the body only so while Doug's arguments were very valid for a lens costing $800, I think at that price most will opt for it even if they only use it rarely.

Still I agree with all Doug's points and all Dan's points as well... just you now have to way those points up with a new pricing structure in mind.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta