LA-EA1 and Sal1650 lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 4th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: LA-EA1 and Sal1650 lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Joy View Post
What about auto ISO?
Hush :) Most of us FS100 users use it in auto mode sometimes, but few are ready to admit :)

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; August 4th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Hush :) Most of us FS100 users use it in auto mode sometimes, but few are ready to admit :)
Haha, I'm ready to admit I've tried it when using the Tokina lens and Novoflex adapter on the Steadicam, but somehow it doesn't feel right. :)
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Well, I guess that while making their decision on ND filtering NOT to be built-in the FS100 camera, Sony's engineers assumed two things:

- many of FS100 users would be coming from the DSLR market
- most of non-NEX lenses to be used with the FS100 would be photo lenses

Now - in still photography, ISO (gain) just like shutter speed are as good exposure-controlling tools as the aperture and external ND filters are. It's only video which - especially when made with the elusive "cinematic look" in mind - requires constant (manually set) shutter speed, and (to a lesser degree) ISO/gain. The reason being obvious: when making 24-60 frames per seconds, and for a huge number of seconds in a row, we should make the "look" of all those consecutive frames as consistent as only possible, as well as the cadence (or movement sensation) pretty constant.

But, let's face it: with the FS100 camera which is virtually noise-free even at high gain/ISO settings, fixed gain within a take is not such an important factor any more. And as for the shutter speed, well...this is even more embarrassing to admit than auto-ISO, but many of us do compensate for the lack of internal ND-filtering with the shutter speed varying considerably from scene to scene, or even used in auto mode :)

And I must tell you that - as much a pixel-peeping measurebator as I am - I found I can get away with it more often than not... Of course, in a fully controlled environment I will always go with the 180 deg shutter as per the book, using the arsenal of my matte box/screwed-on fixed or variable types of ND filters. Similarly, I'll use lighting to avoid using gain at all...

But in run&gun, or stabilizer, kind of shooting? Yes - I do admit: it often happens that I'm using the ISO and/or shutter speed in auto mode! So far, none of my clients ever noticed :)

PS. I'd add that even in some controlled circumstances, e.g. when I'm after those "beauty shots" with shallow DOF, I'd open up and fix the aperture rather than anything else!
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Major Player

The ISO levels on the FS are so clean throughout most of the range, I don't have any problem using auto ISO and a vari-ND filter to control exposure as much as aperture. Unless going for a specific look I usually don't mess with the shutter speed. I shoot 30 & 60p because I haven't been able to get 24p looking smooth enough on the FS, it also helps to lower the exposure a bit when shooting at large apertures since the base ISO is so stinkin' high on the FS.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta