Firmware update surprise !!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Firmware update surprise !!!

I 've been putting off updating firmware for both the FS100 and for my Zacuto evf. Before doing it , I called Zacuto and asked them if their update included better peaking options, like on the FS100. They said "no, it's not that easy to include a color". So I did both updates and was playing around with the camera with the evf. Lo and behold, the red peaking from the FS plays through onto the Zacuto! This is great, beacause my 64 year old eyes need all the focus help I can get, and the red peaking was something that I felt the Zacuto really needed. Thier peaking , though helpfull, what I needed.
Dan Asseff ,also on this forum , was wondering if it would play through other monitors, tv's etc. I tried through my Sony hdtv and it works there also.Tomorrow I'll try my Marshall and a gateway monitor, but I assume it will work also. Obviously, the Fs update is what makes the difference.

Next step is to figure out how to save and load picture profiles...
Meanwhile I'm psyched and feel like my eyes have been given a reprieve.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Firmware update surprise !!!

do you know how to get focus peak just on FS100 and not on the Monitor?
I don't want to see the focus peaking when doing a live video feed
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Firmware update surprise !!!

Yes - peaking and zebra being conveyed by HDMI are the (arguable) benefits of the v2 firmware.

To get rid of it, you need to disable all and any screen data display on HDMI/Component outs (or disable peaking/zebra in camera, including its own LCD)...

As to edge enhancing vs. color peaking on the Zacuto, I also was disappointed at first their EVF only does the former. But after a while, and having replaced my 2.5x with the 3x version - I'm finding it much more precise than the FS-100 color peaking (even though at 57, my sight is weak as well :)). Also, the Zacuto's own zebra is much more subtle than the FS100's...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta