Just a little TV spot shot with FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Just a little TV spot shot with FS100

Just a little spot I shot on the FS100, filmed using Franks excellent new PP G-Log Ultimatte.

Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Just a little TV spot shot with FS100

Nicely done Gabe. Hope you kept everything dry. What lenses did you use?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Funny you say that, I did get hit with water a couple
times. Luckily the camera just got water on the lens which
actually looked kind of cool. I had all my lenses on
this shoot so 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2.0 and 28mm 2.5 FD
primes. The kit 18-200 3.5-6.3. A Sigma 10-20 4.5,
a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Sigma 50-150 2.8 (I
LOVE this lens!). Most if the stuff in this spot was shot
on the 50-150 with 1 or 2 shots being from the 17-50.
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That looks fantastic Gabe, great work.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Major Player

gabe-

i have been away from the forum for the past 4-5 months as i edited two projects which were just delivered.

upon my return last week, i started reading some of the forum entries from a few months back.

i was dismayed to find out you were trying to sell your fs100.

your continued contributions to this forum has often brought intelligence and experience to the conversation both qualities always appreciated.

and then you go out and shoot a lovely piece with the very rig you were going to ditch.

go figure.

thanks for sharing.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Major Player

The G-Log Ultimate is really nice, all I did in post was pull down the pedestal control so the
black levels were touching zero...I did it in Color Finesse in After Effects after sending the
spot out from Premiere, but you can do it inside your NLE. So no color correction, just a
really nice PP by Frank, you guys should certainly try it out! Thanks again Frank, even
though you deserve an FS700, I'm glad you are still using the FS100, what a resource for
all of us FS100 users you are!!!

Rob, when the FS700 came out, I had a moment. I don't really care about 4k. I don't
NEED the slo motion, but I thought it would be really neat to have. Most of all,
I liked the idea of built in ND's!!!! And my metabones adapter, all my lenses, FD to NEX
adapters, Sony A to E mount adapters, rigging, it would ALL transfer over to the FS700.
So, I put the FS100 up for sale. No one thought it was worth what I was asking. I was willing
to sell it and then come up with 3 grand or so for the FS700. About a month after I put it
up for sale, Sony lowered the price on the FS100 (to about $4200 I think) So, sorry but I'm not
going to sell the FS100 for $3500. I'll just keep it and when I get something else, it will become my
B-Cam. Honestly, I LOVE the image. If I could pick one thing to change it would be that
the FS100 would have built in ND's. Sensor is amazing, I don't care about HD-SDI cause I'm a one man shop,
Slo mo would be nice, but 60p slo mo in a 24p timeline is almost always enough for me, and if
it's not, I can often 'cheat' by using twixtor or optical flow (I just need to make sure I shoot with
a high shutter speed). I do mostly 'fast paced' stuff that isn't narrative, so having built in ND would
be a lifesaver. But not enough of one that I'm going to spend $4500 more to get an FS700 (I was
asking around 4 grand - 4800 depending if people wanted lenses and adapters, and Heliopan and such.)
$3000 I would have came up with for the FS700, but for $4500, I could have a second FS100 and I'd
rather have two of them than 1 FS700! So I figured, I'll just 'make do' with the FS100 until I make
enough to buy the 'A camera' that I want. By the time that happens, it might not be the FS700 that I
want anymore, and if it is, chances are it will be a bit cheaper!! And in all honesty, I NEVER thought
I would be able to own something that has as nice a picture as the FS100. I shot on a Sony HDW-750 HDCAM
for a PBS doc a couple years ago, and they told me they had got a grant to buy it for over 70 grand.
I think the FS100 picture looks significantly better! My only complaint is the ergonomic things.
I can deal with them though, I have a heliopan and step rings for each lens, and it all works great,
just slows me down and all, but every time I come back from a shoot, I wonder why I didn't hold on
some of my shots longer. They look so beautiful, and I think:

"Those shots didn't look that nice on the screen, and if they would have, I wouldn't have had 'cameraman ADD' and
switched to another shot so quickly!!!"

The FS100 just captures things you don't even notice with your naked eye. It really is a
breakthrough in cost to performance ratio in my eyes. I jumped to it from a PD150 and it has
made me a much better shooter. No longer can I blame anything on the camera's shortcomings,
it is a better camera than I am a camera operator by a long shot.
Also Rob thanks for the kind words. I am going to try to start a production blog here soon.
I've got a TON of new gear lately besides the FS100, some little known gems of gear and I
am hoping to do some write ups on this stuff for people that do this crazy job called video production.
Hopefully it will help some people out. I've already got stuff written for a neat slider I've found, that
I have NEVER seen a review on, along with some lenses and adapters and other stuff for the FS100.
Now just have to find the time to update my website......

Last edited by Gabe Strong; October 18th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi there. Lovely looking tvc!

You mentioned the Sigma 50-150. What mount is it and does aperture adjustment work ok with the fs100? I'm assuming you connect it with a meta bones adapter?

Thanks

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Jamie

I've got a lot to say on the 50-150. I'll be posting a
production blog soon on my website with a ton of info.
I'll link to it here as well. Quick overview it comes in a
multitude of mounts, I have the EF mount and metabones
adapter, yes you can control aperture....sometimes.
Metabones and Sigma don't always play nice together.
Tons more info on this and other gear coming soon....stay tuned.
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Gabe,

Very nice! Learning a lot from your posts. Thanks for sharing!

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Major Player

As promised go to my website
www.gforcevideo.com
and click on the 'blog' button to read
and see more about this lens.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Gabe, i'm ready to but an fs100 even though it's been out awhile. do you think there will be anything sony will introduce at nab 2013 re: the fs100, maybe an updated version? thanks
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Trying to guess at that is pretty hard. Who knows what they will do, it wouldn't surprise
me either way. All I'd need them to do is give the FS100 built in NDs and add the cine gamma
and that camera would keep me happy for quite awhile....
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Agreed. ND would be nice but i think i will probably pull the trigger and get one anyway. Excellent video btw.
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
Just a little spot I shot on the FS100, filmed using Franks excellent new PP G-Log Ultimatte.

Capital City Fire & Rescue Volunteers on Vimeo
wow, thats awesome Gabe, really impressed! i hope i can produce stuff like this! is all of the work on your vimeo page made with a FS100?
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Major Player

Chris,

Thanks a bunch! Yes, all the stuff on my vimeo page right now is from the FS100 (well
there may be a shot or two from my VG20). I recently added a FS700 so will have footage
from that mixed in soon.

If you have an FS100, just practice anything with it. I did some 'scenic' nature stuff for
practice as I've never shot with DSLRs or big sensor cams before. The fs100 will make you
better if you are willing to learn from the footage you shoot. I have no doubts that you and
most on here can make stuff better than me after you work with it a little.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta