Which camera to buy -- undecided at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which camera to buy -- undecided

Hi Everyone,

Maybe advice or shed some lights on the path on buying the camera. So far this is what i have been looking at. I have been eyeing the Canon xf300, the Sony fs100, and GH3. Now i am not sure what to get. First i don't have any CF cards nor any sony lens or Pany lens. The only lens i have are canon ef 25-78 tamron, canon 8mm fisheye rokinon, and 50mm 1.8 for 60D. Will i able to use this lens with sony fs100 if i were to go with a sony and buy the adapter for EOS to sony. Will i be better off with a xf300 or GH3.
I am going to use it for My Church Event. The stage is lighted but not well lid so some corner is dark. Also sometime i do little things on the side like Bautism in church and sometime the front of a church is not well lid. Like my sister wedding that took place last week the front alter was not well lid in the church.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

re: Which camera to buy -- undecided

You need to send the OP in this thread a note. This is EXACTLY what you need.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...-my-fs100.html
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

re: Which camera to buy -- undecided

Thanks Chris Medico for bringing it to my attention. I hope i can make a deal with him. This will be my first professional camera. if i make a deal with him today.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Which camera to buy -- undecided

Well is the sony fs100 good for church event also. So far also i see that someone is selling a canon xf300
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The XF300 has much smaller imagers and will perform worse in low light.

Churches are never lit like theaters. You will want something better than that XF300 for routine use in a church.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Lico.
The FS100 has a bigger sensor and will perform better in low light situations. The drawback with the FS100 is in my opinion that you will have to choose lenses very carefully. For instance if you film the bride walking up the aisle and you only have your 50 mm lens on, then that is what you have to work with. You will not be able to reframe or zoom in your shot. This may or may not be a problem. For instance if you film the minister talking and you are too far way then you will want something like the stock lens that comes with the FS100. That has a goo drange for zooming enabling you to quickly reframe your shots.

The XF300 has a smaller 1/3 inch sensor and they are normally not great in low light situations. However your range is not limited and you will be able to frame your shots the way you want.

Large sensor cameras are great for static shots, planned shots, music videos or scenes where time and lens change doesn`t matter.

Have you looked at the HM600 by JVC? It is getting great reviews and uses a very good and efficient codec. Also uses cheap but reliable media. I haven`t used one myself, but that would probably be the one I would look at compared to the Xf300.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I might end up getting the sony fs100 so far i might end up buying the lens later on. I think i found a good deal now i need to convince my wife to see if she approves me on buying the camera.
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Lico,I
MHO, If you are doing any kind of event shooting, you will want a zoom lens that can utilize the camera's auto focus. I just bought the FS100 with the kit lens and I think the lens works great for event videography where you don't have time to fuss with setting the focus. So if you buy an FS100, be sure you have at least one lens that can utilize the auto-focus. Otherwise, I think you are going to be frustrated if all you have are manual focus lenses when you miss a shot because you had to zoom in, set the focus and then zoom out just in time for your subject to step out of focus. The kit lens that comes bundled with the FS100 is worth the extra $500.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thats my next purchase. I am going to buy the lens in two month. It looks like i am sticking with sony instead of canon. Oh well. I just bought it from a user here. With the fmu and metabones and the berkley. I am excited. When it arrives i am going to learn to use it at my church. I am going to use as my 2nd camera as i learn to use it. If everythings goes wrong out of focus. At least i have good footage from sony hxr mc50u. It is going to be a learning curve for me. The reason i got it is for the low light. Now what tripod should i get for it

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta