DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   What would make your FS100 better? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/517714-what-would-make-your-fs100-better.html)

Ron Little July 11th, 2013 08:43 AM

What would make your FS100 better?

If you could have custom parts made for the FS100... What would you want?

I am thinking about having a new handle made that would replace the original. To me the original is good for holding the mic and little more. I want one that will have a good hand hold, hold the mic, and be solid enough to hold a monitor on an arm.

What would make your FS100 better? Also if you have bought aftermarket parts that improve your cam please fill me in.

Oren Arieli July 11th, 2013 10:10 AM

Re: What would make your FS100 better?

Other than a redesign? (I'm not really kidding there). A top handle/cheeseplate would be nice. I often need to put a wireless mic receiver, a light, and sometimes a monitor. It's a bit of a mess right now, but not enough for me to fork over $300 for a aftermarket solution (I may be frustrated, but I'm frugal).
As for redesign, it's a pipe dream...but here is my short list.
1) a proper articulating monitor that extends to the side or flips down for high angle shots.
2) better cable routing
3) better XLR connection placement
4) Two SD card slots
5) Built in mic (for scratch recordings when you want to minimize kit size)
6) backlit buttons, and a better shape variation
7) better quality grip with internal connection for start/stop
8) waveform display instead of histogram
9) illumination for lens markings (like my old DSR-390)
10) audio vu meters on the bezel of the LCD (for a less cluttered screen)
11) OLED screen
Anyway, that's just me venting. I know that none of this will come to pass...but it's nice to dream.

Paul Wood July 11th, 2013 02:29 PM

I would look at the handle/cheeseplate and other bits made by Caleb Crosby at ShootingMachine.net.

I have used one of his top handles since they were first introduced, and I couldn't think of using the camera without it!

Rob Katz July 12th, 2013 06:51 PM

caleb's walnut handle is lovely.

the berkey cheeseplate and handle are also very well engineered.

both guys are responsive to emails.

i respect each of them.

ymmv.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc

Ron Little July 15th, 2013 09:41 AM

One of the reasons I stepped up to the FS-100 from the VG-30 was the audio. Well I shot a cooking segment this weekend and the sound was fantastic. The client was pleased with what I shot right out of the camera. I can hardly wait to show him the finished piece.

I do however want to make the cam more convenient to use. So I am still looking for the best accessaries to supplement this cam. I do not trust the factory handle and it wiggles when I put a monitor on it. So I think that is where I will start.

Al Yeung July 20th, 2013 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I second the suggestion of Caleb Crosby's Shot Grip. It's composed up of several standard 15mm rods so you can easily attach the FS100 mic mount (which is more or less 15mm, a bit thicker) to it. It looks very nice too. One drawback is that the grip height is fixed and the grip, if oriented backwards, will block your screen. It also doesn't allow the loupe to flip at all. Berkey's base plate and handle are more flexible and adjustable, but less minimalist and sleek. Both base plates prevent the FS100 built-in screen from flipping all the way forward.

The factory mic mount / grip is frankly ridiculous. I don't believe anyone has ever really used it as a real grip since that unreasonably tranquil cinematographer in the Sony promotional video (screenshot attached). It makes me laugh.

For my purposes (mostly handheld reactive stuff) the FS100 works best as a super compact, rigless camera. I unscrew the hot shoe plate so it becomes just a 1/4-20 female screw hole, then attach the mic mount to it via a couple of Berkey components. I've also shortened the loupe by about 40% (there're instructions online). And as much as possible I use lightweight stabilized lenses, like the very good Sony 35 and 50 OSS. The Canon 24-105 via Speed Booster is also a very good all-round lens. All this minimizes the weight as well as uneven weight distribution.

Dan Asseff July 21st, 2013 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this cage and added a few of there accessories. Master Cinema Series :: MCS Cages :: Letus FS100 Non-Powered Cage -

Dan

Bill Pryor July 24th, 2013 12:32 PM

I have the Berkey Systems handle. Berkey System

Originally I got the Zacuto handle because I have other Zacuto gear and like it. The Zacuto is probably better built and looks cooler, but the Berkey is more useable because it's easy to loosen it and swivel it all the way around 360 degrees. The Zacuto has to be loosened and pulled out and flipped around if you want it out of the way to tilt up the viewer. That's not a problem, but the mic holder is attached to it so it turns too and that is a problem. With the Berkey you simply loosen the thumbscrew and turn it to where you want.

One advantage of the Zacuto, however, is that it slides right and left so you can balance the camera nicely for a low angle hand held shot. The workaround for the Berkey is to simply rotate it a little to the right until the camera balances. Another nice thing about the Berkey is that you can position it sticking out to the left at a right angle. That has worked out nicely for some hand held shots. Moving the left hand out that way seems to help steady the camera a bit, much better than holding it with the hand under the lens as you do a still camera.

The only big thing I'd like for the FS100 is a built-in ND filter wheel. I have two B+W ND filters--a .6 and a .9, a 77mm Schneider variable ND, and most recently I added an 82mm Tiffen variable ND because the Zeiss 18mm lens has 82mm threads. All my other Zeiss lenses have 77mm stepup rings. Should have gone with 82mm in the first place.