FS100 and NTSC_PAL usage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FS100 and NTSC_PAL usage

Hi folks
I want to buy the FS100 at B&W NY but they tell me they only have the NTSC version....what is this? I thought the camera was switchable to PAL?

With the most minimalist info in a reply email, they tell me a Sony tech service can switch it over.
Surely they have crimped the switch for NTSC or PAL. On the techspecs it says you can shoot either.

I will be shooting in both formats in different countries and am not interested in having to go to a Sony tech outlet to switch it.

Can I safely do it myself?
Thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FS100 and NTSC_PAL usage

Hey Geoff

The standard priced model is NTSC/PAL switchable in the menu..even my EA-50's are switchable! However this is the super cheap special that B&H has for $2999 isn't it??? Maybe the units at the low price have had some of the features disabled ? It could be why the camera is so darn cheap??

That's less than the EA-50 which is only APS-C sensored .. I was wondering why they were so cheap. At Global Media pro the FS100 is $4280 plus of course GST and shipping so it's nearly $4800 to your door!

VideoPro (my dealers) want $5400 plus shipping so it must be assumed it's not a switchable model (by the user anyway)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: FS100 and NTSC_PAL usage

Hi Chris
Yep super cheap - inferred...cos they've crimped the switch from NTSC to PAL, nothing more, nothing less.

This is of course a software issue Sony have clamped us with so we have to buy regionally along with the associated additional cost for the same camera that in another place with the flick of a switch will be thousands less...that's all it's about. It has nothing to do with a change in technology, just that switch. It's also got zero to do with how many units are sold in one format or another.

I am told by BH NY that I can have it switched by a Sony tech agency...thx....I'd prefer to do it myself.

BYW the price at GMPro is USD3970 (with the standard lens) right now. In NY it's 2999 so thats a thousand bucks extra headed in someones direction.
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta