2 GB limit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old October 11th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: 2 GB limit

Hi Chris,

Nope - I have to say, I posted the link, having downloaded it myself and played around with it a bit, but having just checked it out, i doesn't appear to link clips, only allow logging.

My apologies - I only looked at the Sony publicity, who said it was a replacement for the older versions, without checking it myself!

More info from News Shooter at IBC
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

What a bummer! It's a really nice easy interface to use and much simpler than the Content Utility too.

If only it would join the files like the old software does!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
Sony have a new content software called Catalyst Browse, which replaces the older content browsers - it will also allow basic colour adjustment and file conversion.
You can find it here:

Sony Creative Software - Catalyst Browse
Tried the latest build of Catalyst, 1.0.1 today. It will not 'import' and stitch together time code contiguous clips into one long clip. Catalyst has a 'copy' only function and that is all it does, copy. A request has already gone in to the Development team to see if this functionallity can be incorporated into Catalyst. Otherwise Catalyst can't be used for the seamless import and merging of 2GB Fat 32 2GB files which is what AVCHD files are coming off an SDHC card.

Catalyst is useless to color correct AVCHD footage with if you can only 'export' single clips and still end up with audio breaks at every 2GB file boundary. Apart from anything else there is no batch export function in Catalyst. Oh what fun it would be to export a few hundred clips one at a time:) Catalyst has a long way to go before it's close to ready for prime time. Batch export has also been requested of the Dev team.

If using Sony software you do need to use either Content Management Utility or Vegas to seamlessly import and stitch together time code contiguous 2GB clips into one long file.

Another thing I've discovered. CMU is the only software I am aware of that can read the full card file structure from a hard drive as opposed to reading it from a card reader or direct from a camera and correctly do the import and stitch job. Importantly though you must make sure that the WHOLE card structure is sitting on the hard drive for this to work. If you have just the .MTS files you are screwed trying to join them without the card metadata that is required for the job. You will end up with audio breaks at the 2GB file boundaries on the timeline.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Yep it's a big pity as they certainly got the interface right. It's simply easy and nice and big compared to CMU which is very cluttered.

I know this sounds crazy but being a Vegas user from Version 4 I have NEVER attempted to use Vegas to stitch the files ... would you say it's easier with Vegas and does Vegas retain the MTS format.... I find it tough having to use the long winded file name that CMU creates.... !

What's the easiest work flow when using Vegas ... Obviously one would need to copy the entire card structure over to the computer otherwise there is no metadata for Vegas to work with.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #20
Trustee

As I posted Chris. I cannot get Vegas to see the file structure if it's sitting on a hard drive. Yes if it's on a card in a reader or in a camera. CMU is the only software that I have found that will see the card structure if it's parked on a HDD.

Vegas is the same as CMU in that you get all those long date based names on ingest. Basically I just do a global rename in Explorer to a suitable name for the job in hand.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

I always import from the card anyway and it works pretty well within Vegas ..yeah the date, time and how much you ate for breakfast file names are a pain ..just like the CMU .... I think Vegas might be a fraction faster than the CMU if one is time saving but both work from the card nicely. Something weird happens if I rename the file in Windows from the numeric file name to something normal like "ceremony1" on my wedding footage. The extension changes from a M2TS file back to a MTS but it plays and edits perfectly in the NLE ... Have you found this as well??

Thanks for the update

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; October 12th, 2014 at 08:05 AM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta