Sony NEX-FS700 FORE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NEX-FS700 FORE

How do you get yourself ready for a golf trip to Scotland. Shoot yourself in super slow mo. My friend and DP Dave Sanders collaborated with me on our little golf test with a pre-production Sony NEX-FS 700.

We shot our spot at 240 fps, where you still get full resolution at 1080P. Set at Cine gamma 1, we used my Digioptical 18-50 T3, and Red 50-150 T3 PL lens with the MTF E mount to PL adapter. All on a Zacuto baseplate, and Chrosziel MB 456 Mattebox, and follow focus. I edited it in FCP 7, and used Magic Bullet Looks 2 to grade. A good chance to see how this codec worked in Looks 2.

We did shoot the CU of the ball at 960 fps, but did do a full swing. Just a tap for "TV", but it still looked real. To see any compression of the ball we would have to shoot at 10 000fps.

The second part are frame rates from 120 fps to 960. You can see the difference after you pass 240. I left these shots ungraded. I think an insert shot at 960 like the CU could work. Used sparingly, for emphasis.

Please be gentle critiquing my swing, unless your a PGA teaching Pro. :)

Nigel Akam
Director of Photography
www.njacam.com
twitter: @nigelakam
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Sony NEX-FS700 FORE

Hi Nigel,

I like your swing! What is your handicap?

Thank you for posting. 480 frames is acceptable imo. I never own a Sony camera, but with the FS 700
maybe... After 20 years I am a happy Ikegami owner/shooter, but I have to test the Canon C300 and FS 700, to make a decision.

Cheers!
Menno Mennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno Mennes View Post
Hi Nigel,

I like your swing! What is your handicap?

Thank you for posting. 480 frames is acceptable imo. I never own a Sony camera, but with the FS 700
maybe... After 20 years I am a happy Ikegami owner/shooter, but I have to test the Canon C300 and FS 700, to make a decision.

Cheers!
thx. Its a 12. Wish I had more time with the camera to really take a good look at set up etc, and put it next to my F3, and C 300.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Since I'm not a colourist, I thought I would upload the golf sequence ungraded. I played in Magic Bullet Looks 2 for the graded , but there are many ways it can go. I did a look that I thought would work.

I only had the camera for a short time, and didn't really get a chance to really look at the picture profiles, or even have a manual. I set the camera to cinema, cine 1 gamma, as I thought it was the flattest profile, like the F3. I might be wrong. I also turned the auto knee off.

Also remember this is a pre-production model, and pretty sure the firmware has not been set for every region.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Nigel,

How do you rank the FS700 next your C300 and F3?
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta