shoulder rig for FS700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Major Player

shoulder rig for FS700

So I ordered an FS700 this past week for a new job that I start in July. I found a Metabones adaptor from Birns and Sawyer and now I am waiting until the middle of July for the camera to show up.

I have been looking at shoulder rigs and have narrowed it down to a few options. The first is the Movcam cage that has a shoulder pad:

16x9 Inc. :: Movcam Cage - FS700

The second is the Shape Composite F3, which lacks a top handle that I feel is real important:

http://shapewlb.com/en/product/produ..._page_parent=1

If I get the Movcam cage I will probably be adding in a set of handles and a follow focus. I would add a follow focus to the Shape if I end up getting it.

The Shape is much cheaper, but I like the integrated handles and mounting options on the Movcam.

Since I have never shot with a camera like the FS700 before, I am asking for the opinion of the people here to see what they think. I know that this really comes down to personal preference.

In the past I have shot with everything from full ENG rigs to DSLR's and shooting handheld is a big part of my workflow. That was a major reason that I went with the Metabones adaptor, so that I could have the IS on my EF lenses.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: shoulder rig for FS700

Funnily enough, have just been alerted to this:

FS700 Micron Lower Stage Kit - 3ality Technica's Elements Camera Accessories

Plenty to drool over in here: http://www.3alitytechnica.com/docume...0.pdf#zoom=100

I just want a shoulder mounted rig for the bare essentials FS700 - EVF on noga arm, outboard handle, option for lens support and matte box. For $855, that 700-Micron kit looks like the core of a great compact system.

OTOH, I am also besotted by the Half Inch Rails system which allows the PIX220 to be mounted aft and work as a counterweight, and can be split into three units and thrown in the tripod bag in a few seconds. Brutal looking, but light, stiff and strong. Got great balance, able to pick it up and put it down without worry, snaps onto tripod and I can flip the PIX220 down as a sort of monitor on high shots.

I tried the shape last year - TBH, I didn't like it but then it may balance out with twiddling. I found it heavy, front-heavy at that, and had a nasty turn (no pun intended) with the big red buttons that can bump into things which sends the hand grip in a spin. Maybe I'm kack-handed, but I've not felt any desire to go further with it.

But anyhoo, I remember sketching out just such as device as the 3ality Technica device, but with a slightly less silly arm on the side. I'm dreaming of Caleb Crosby's 'bunny' grip under the Micron...
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I plan to hold off buying a rig for my FS700... as long as I can.
There are 3 or 4 other manufactures about to release.

After a year of working with the FS100... I know exactly what I want.

- a simple barebones rig, which can easily transform into a larger system.
- a system which is easy to operate on both the shoulder and tripod
- solid top handle
- rails for front handles and matte box
- the ability to mount a shoulder pad under or near the back of the camera body
- the ability to mount an EVF on the body of the camera.
- the ability to move the EVF forward, beside the lens
- the ability to instantly remove the camera from the tripod on to the shoulder
- if needed... a place to mount a PIX240 & battery on the back of the camera

Bill Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have a 700 on order and I will be making a custom kit for it for use with or w/o EVF matte box ff etc.

Here is a link to some photos of my base kit:
SlideBracketKit - Page 1

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta