Basic questions about FS700 zoom lens options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Basic questions about FS700 zoom lens options

I would appreciate some help on zoom lens for the FS700.
I am on the verge of buying an FS700, and want to be sure I know what the lens situation is.

This will be used almost exclusively for shooting bands in small local clubs. The lighting is lousy.......low overall with a few harsh localized spots (usually pointing toward the wrong places). Very tough conditions.
I am currently using an XF100 and at 50Mbps, 1920x1080, 24p, shutter 1/30, and aperture wide open at F1.8-2.8, gain runs +12 to +24 and grain is a major problem.

The 18-200mm kit lens is slow for these conditions so I am not inclined to buy it (although the price is right).
I am looking for a faster zoom that will work. In particular, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM would be good, since I will be using a Canon 5D Mk III camera with the FS700 on these shoots.

Question:
(1) Will this Canon EF zoom fit on the FS700, with appropriate adaptor?
(2) If not,what other options do I have for fast zooms?
(3) What controls of the lens do you have from the FS700 with the stock kit lens?
(4) What controls of the lens would I have from the FS700 with a fast Canon or other zoom lens?

Sorry for the basic questions, I am just getting up to speed on the FS700. I am ready to order, as soon as I can sort out the lens situation out.
Michael Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Basic questions about FS700 zoom lens options

I have an EOS mount Tokina 80-200mm f2.8, which - when used at f4 - is optically very good, and could be de-clicked. I bought it a while back whilst waiting for an 'active' EOS mount, and it does come out occasionally. It does really need support on 15mm rails, doubly so for the EF 80-200/2.8 IS which is a big heavy beast.

But there in lies the rub. Efficient, studley, sharp Boss lenses on rails are a liability in cramped, busy, hot, dark clubs - and ho ho! Try changing lenses in that environment.

So I've used the Kit Lens for its IS, its AF when waved over a crowd on a monopod... A rough example:

https://vimeo.com/mattdavis/review/32200429/43ecf8d6d1 (this was the overly long assembly edit, not final!!)

Okay, so this was an FS100, and you'd lose a stop or thereabouts with the FS700 perhaps. Even so, the sensitivity of these cams is such that you CAN get away with the kit lens indoors by pumping in a lot of gain (12-18 dB IIRC) but that was not really a problem as the camera has very low inherent noise.

BTW the example was a balance between the kit lens and the Tokina 11-16 - the challenge that night was to have pocket sized lenses (no room for a camera bag or to dump the tripod - what you hold is what you've got, for the duration of the shoot).
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L (version 1), via the Metabones adapter.

I recently purchased this lens used. The new version (version II), is supposedly sharper, but cost $1000 more than I was able to buy a used first version in very good condition (from B&H).

This is a fairly new purchase for me, so I haven't tested it extensively or in low light, but so far I am happy. I'm waiting for the time when I regret not buying the newer version, but so far, it hasn't happened.

If you're interested, you can view some of the footage I shot with this lens on the FS700 that I posted earlier in this forum. My clip uses a variety of Canon L-series lenses, but off the top of my head, I know the shots of the insects, the kayaks, and the kids on the tube were all shot with that lens.

With that Metabones adapter, I am able to control aperture of the lens on the camera. I believe Image Stabilization works as well, but haven't really tested it. Autofocus does NOT work, if that is important to you.

Unfortunately, the adapter is hard to get your hands on. You have to get on their waiting list (it took me a couple months to get mine).
Todd Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In another forum post somewhere, it was mentioned to pm someone on ebay (pretty sure it the manufacturer) and though they were not even showing stock on ebay, or the metabones website, you could still paypal and get one. I did this and received it within a week two weeks ago.

I have the tokina 11-16 2.8 sony amount as well. I've not tried it that much in low light yet, should retain autofocus with the adapter. Its really not getting you out of many situations though, and the lens changing etc.
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for the input.

By coincidence, my FS100/FS700 instructional video from Vortex Media arrived today and I just watched the chapter on lenses. This includes information on adapters. I now have a much clearer picture of the options.

I highly recommend the video for any new FS100 or FS700 camera users. Outstanding, will save me many days of the usual frustration and wasted motion I normally go through with a new camera. :)
Michael Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Thinking about the upcoming "zoom" lens from Sony that works with the rocker switch, that may be nothing more than a firmware upgrade, allowing you to "zoom" into/out of a 4K image picked up by the sensor when filming in a 1080 mode.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta