FS700 samples with IS glass - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: FS700 samples with IS glass

Thanks Alister for the input appreciated.

Were you using Sony E or A glass? The video looks soft.

Giving the camera a good go tomorrow with Olof. Also interested in the C300 and looking at both.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Just the E-Mount kit lens.

The softness is just YouTube compression and a little bit of haze on the day. We showed the clip projected on a 20ft screen at IBC and it looked great.
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Alister,

Checking out Canon and E lens today. Also would like to check out Sony A lens. Do you know if they offer Optical and Active steady shot? Hard to find this out.
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

No, you cannot used the Alpha image stabilization with the A lenses and LAEA2 adapter. Also, if you use them for AF, the FS700 will only AF at f3.5, or the maximum aperture of the lens (if it is smaller than f3.5). I don’t find the 18-200 to be all that great, but if Alister used it to make the stunning slow motion lightening video he posted, he does wonders with it.

I tried the Metabones 2 with Canon lenses and ordered one, which just arrived today. I also like the Leica M lenses, which are small with silky smooth focus, and actual old fashioned aperture rings, so changing apertures is simple, fast and accurate.

Bill
Bill Hollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Bill,

Good to know the Alpha lens are not as compatible as they suggest.

My test using the FS700 with Olof last week went well. We used the E 18-200 on the tripod and shoulder mount. We also used the Metabone adapter with a few different Canon EF-L lens which worked great. Also used the Rokinon 8mm and was impressed how sharp it is.

We were using the Zacuto viewfinder and that is the second time I have tried that unit, and I am not impressed. I will most likely go for the Alphatron EVF.

Nice to know about the Leica M lenses. I can see myself using manual lens most of the time, except while on the water shooting from boat to boat there I need the IS.

The E 18-200 was not that bad. I have footage on my computer and have looked it over closely.

Interested to see the new E lens 35mm, 16-50, 10-18, all with OSS.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; September 18th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I have the new Samyang/Rokinon 24mm T1.5 and 35mm T1.5 Cine lenses for review. These look like nice manual lenses at a fraction of the price of the Leica's. No IS but decent aperture and focus rings with gears.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Interested to see that review Alister,

The 8mm was nice on the sticks in tight spots.
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I already have the 14mm f2.8 Samyang photo lens and am very happy with it. I have a shoot in Hong Kong next week and will be trying the Samyangs there. I've had a quick look and they appear rather good.
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Alister any sample grabs or clips from the 14mm? What type of distortion?
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #25
Major Player

The distortion on my Nikon APS-C body is quite extreme (barrel-type). It should be the same on the Sony FS700. Apart from the distortion, vignetting is tolerable if you stop the lens down to f4 or f5.6. The lens is otherwise very good for the money. The mechanics are excellent and so is the sharpness. You will need further shading on your cine cameras, though, as the lens flares very easily.

Alister may find it behaving differently on his Sony cameras but it should be close.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Thanks for the input Wacharapong,

I can live with the distortion for a fisheye. For wide with no distortion I am still looking for that lens. Also with the purchase of a 5D MKIII very close I might shift to Canon and buy a C300 instead of a FS700. Lots of options up in the air at this time and need to decide very soon..
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hollinger View Post
Hi Paul,

No, you cannot used the Alpha image stabilization with the A lenses and LAEA2 adapter.
Bill
That's because Sony alpha lenses are not stabilized. Alpha cameras use sensor based stabilization. The few sigma amount lenses with lens based stabilization do get stabilized when adapted to e mount, although sigmas os is pretty useless.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks Al,

I should have reported back that I found that out. Too bad the Alfa are a lot better then the E.

One of the reasons I have decided to go with the Canon C300 which is on its way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta