Rain Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Rain Cover

What are you using? CamRade supposedly has one, but I can't find it on B&H, or anywhere else...
p
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rain Cover

The CamRade one is only just coming from the factory, so it may be a couple of weeks before it becomes widely available.
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

I always carry a garbage bag in a pocket when shooting.

They are light and deploy immediately and are great in dusty conditions as well.

I like the transparent ones the best it is easy to see all the controls. And they can be transformed to work with any lens and any camera in seconds. They work great with a stedicam rig as well. Remember a towel as well to dry your hands before inserting into the bag.

When on sticks I often use an umbrella always in my run bag as well, these are great if it is not too windy and cut the hot sun as well. I have a snap on fitting for it on my tripod, gaffer tape works great as well.
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes the rubbish bag works for emergency applications, I'd prefer a more durable design though. I'm a little surprised PortaBrace doesn't have anything available yet. Thanks
p
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Phillip - although it doesn't have the custom fit of the CamRade, the

fits the F3 and should fit the FS700. Better than a rubbish bag :)

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I still could not find any details of the camrade one. Just a news post on their site, no details. So I ended up getting a Kata CRC-12.

CRC-12 works as well as CRC-15 it seems with evf coverage as well.

The 15 does not have an EVF sleeve, you need a shower cap or something else, and I wanted to try and get more clear visibility on the left side of the controls. It seems to me they both fit and have tradeoffs. The CRC-15 seems to be longer and has a uniform tail end, no* evf sleeve, possibly more streamlined. The CRC-12 has a drop down back more suitable for the EX3 (and DSLR), which is unneeded, but means there is more clear pvc on the left side and an evf sleeve.

I've put it on and pulled a few things off and on, and rearranged viewfinders, and it seems to fit pretty well for something that is universal. I've not shot with it yet (nice weather down under at moment), nor have I checked coverage with a matte box and rails, nor tried it handheld (still debating my handheld setup). It looks like it will be fine, but no guarantee.

I did put my 70-400mm sony with adapter on it to test the length (as well as stock lens), and it covered to just over the hood, with only a little slack at the back.

I've had the viewing tube off the back, pointing out to the left (which is only useful at eye level as you then cannot tilt up). I can arrange the pvc to see the lcd folded to be viewed from the back, the left at the back, and folder over to look down from the top, all good.

EVF off the left side with a Noga arm fits in the sleeve nicely (going to get something more solid off the handle soon) and there is enough movement to have it at the front like shoulder mount, out to the left, or towards the back.

This will do until (IF) something comes out. Be interesting with the new sony models, the fs700 really has to carefully keep its place amongst the newbies. Maybe its not long for sale as the F5 drops in price with more competition. Slightly different body shape, and maybe thus no rain jackets :(

The only other one I got close to considering was a portabrace rain slicker for the FS100. I emailed them asking if it fit the FS700, (concerned about access to ND filter wheel) and/or if they were developing something…. No answer…

PortaBrace - Video Camera Cases - Professional Video Bags, Camera Cases

or the petrol Pr410 might fit, and if I am looking at it correctly might have a zip-down front where a zoom lens that extends might function underneath some shelter unhindered. If I had a complaint about the use of the crc-12 on the fs700, if you are using a extending zoom lens, its difficult to zoom quietly. I don't plan on doing any zooming during shots. If I did and was always shooting in weather, I'd wait and use the 2x digital crop zoom of the lens coming out, or maybe the petrol case.

DerranNL: Review: Raincover for the NEX-FS100

Here is some pics, stock lens, 70-400 sony amount (with adapter), lens tube on/off, alphatron evf on/off (you can tuck the evf sleeve and poke it in when not using).
Attached Thumbnails
Rain Cover-img_0466.jpg   Rain Cover-img_0468.jpg  

Rain Cover-img_0470.jpg   Rain Cover-img_0474.jpg  

Rain Cover-img_0479.jpg   Rain Cover-img_0485.jpg  

Rain Cover-img_0494.jpg   Rain Cover-img_0496.jpg  

Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Palacios View Post
What are you using? CamRade supposedly has one, but I can't find it on B&H, or anywhere else...
p
Andorama eBay item # 330840014905, US$185.07. States 4 available

Chris Young
CYV Productions
sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Cam Rade, Portabrace (which has added the FS700 to the list of equipment covered by it's slicker) and Petrol - FS100 bag all look like they make use of the FS700 extension tube. The designs all seem to to be too tightly tailored to basic camera design and don't leave much room to expand and maintain easy access to all controls.

I'm shooting on a fishing boat off the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Feb and would like something with a sleeve to accommodate the Alphatron. Kieran it looks like the CRC-12 would leave room for access and visibility of the controls.

I've attached a couple of photos and have since relocated the handle to the forward bar next to the lens - not a drastic change. Is there a solution I just haven't found yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Rain Cover-1i4a1457.jpg   Rain Cover-1i4a1460.jpg  

T.G. Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Cool rig. So on a boat the most stable image is two feet on the deck handheld yes? :)

The crc12 would be more likely than the 15. Has far more vertical stretch. There is a fair bit of play between the mic sleeve and lens part but your rig will certainly put it to the test.

I could measure the max stretch between the two areas if you like?

I presume your setup there is for balance, though it looks like it would be quite front heavy.

Is it pretty balanced like that?

Is that the stock black lens or ?
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Kieran, I fitted the CRC12 and like you say while not perfect - it is just long enough to close on the tail end without any add ons - it did give the most functional fit so, in the end that's what I went with. Although with a V-lock or recorder attached off the rear rails it just wouldn't work. It provided a snug fit around the EVF and the excess material around the sleeve wasn't an issue. Thanks for the offer to measure but Genesis Matrix had one in stock to try on.

Stability on small trawler off the Pacific Northwest Coast in winter cannot be had. Dry land still feels like it's moving. The cine saddle got a lot of use though.

That's a Zeiss C/Y 180mm - not a lens to use on the boat. Mostly stuck to the Tokina 11-16mm and the Zeiss 35/2. Balance is a bit of an issue even with those smaller lenses. I recently added the Zacuto Handle relocator which has revolutionized the positioning and stability. The total weight is still pretty low so unless you're handholding in the same position for a long stretch it isn't big issue yet.
T.G. Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta