If only 1 lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Major Player

If only 1 lens?

Hi

Hope to get the FS700 soon - if I can only afford one GOOD lens (probably zoom) which would you recommend? Yes, I can get an adapter if it's Canon lens...is the supplied SONY 18mm-200mm lens sharp, any good?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: If only 1 lens?

Hi i have had my fs700 a few weeks now baught it with kit lens, last few weeks i have baught Tamron 24-70 Tamron 70-300 Samyang full manual lens 35mm t1.5 and a couple of others. I have done test after test with all the lenses and the conclusion that i have come to! it simpley depends on what your situation is and what you are filming. Will give you an example of the differance between stock lens and 24-70 2.8 my friend stood vertualy in the dark smoking a cigerete filmed him with stock lens not a lot to see same thing with 2.8 the glow of the cigerete lit his face up realy cool look. the stock lens still i think is very good it focusis very quick its got is its fully auto if you want it to be so its not bad at all i use it quite a lot its not as good as my 24-70 in sharpness etc but its not bad. lastley i have just sold on ebay a Tamron 2.8 zoom lens i only paid £200.00 for it the pictures from it were brill i only sold it to get a lens with is in it because i have a shake in my left arm and the is sorts any shake out. so in my humble opinion get stock lens and do what i am doing build up your lenses as you go along because one lens dos'nt do all jobs. Hope that helps you a little Thanks Wilf.
Wilf Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks very much for info - would the Tamron 70-300 be as good as say these guys with a metabones adapter?

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

And do you need metabones adapter for the Tamrons?
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The lenses i baught Tamrons etc i got Canon fit and yes i use a metabones adapter because of resale Canon is more popular and easier to sell. Tamron 70-300 is not as good as Canon 70-200 2.8 (i have one} Canon is 2.8 rite threw. In low lite situations when you zoom in with Tamron picture will go dark but not the canon it stays just as brite. I have watched test after test on Tamron 24-70 vs Canon 24-70 Tamron is half the price but also has vibration controle (is) and believe me it works a treat. The pictures are fantastic. honestly it depends on what you want out of your lens Thanks Wilf.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i have had the fs700 for about 3 months now, and have done alot of shooting - if you only can aford 1 lens, get the kit lens, it is very good (for what it is). then save up and get a number of canon lenses and adaptor. we have 5 different canon lenses and use them all for different shoots, but we still use the kit lens a fair bit, especially for the run and gun stuff, it is also a good lens for the learning the camera. Remeber the quality of glass it where the quality of the shot begins! hope this helps
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi i agree with Greg 100% stock lens is a good allrounder Thanks Wilf
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

The Canon 24-70 f2.8 L is the one on my 700 75% of the time.

I also use the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L a fair amount.And the 17-40 f4.

The kit lens is OK but slow, so the SDOF is not great. The IS and auto focus are very useful, this is the first lens I ever used auto focus on for video, it actually works well.

A great all around lens is the Canon 24-105 f4. It is small has IS and is very sharp.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #8
New Boot

I love wide angle shots. But because of the crop factor compared to full frame the 24-70 is not wide enough, I have to use the 16-35mm L II
Sergiu Macarescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Major Player

If I could only have one lens on an FS700 it would be a 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom. That gives you a genuine wide-angle and a mild telephoto at the long end. I'd recommend the Nikon 17-55mm as it's been an absolute workhorse lens for me. But I hear you can come very close to it image-quality-wise with the Tamron 17-50mm.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for everyone's input - helpful to know...metabones plus Canon 24-70mm might be the one I go for if can only get one.
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Major Player

If you're not already getting Canon lenses, you should definitely look at the Sony/Zeiss Alpha mount 24-70 2.8 with the Alpha to E-mount adapter. Iris and even autofocus work with the camera, and the image quality is stunning. I've been using this setup the last few days (producer owned- not mine) and have been extremely happy with the results.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Major Player

I second the Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8. It has IS unlike the 24-70 L, is lightweight but as sharp or sharper than the L series zooms (I have a bunch). Because it is made for APS-C it doesn't have a lot of extra glass you will not use. The Tamron zooms have tiny focusing ring travel, making it tough to focus precisely, though are not bad lenses. The 24-105 is good too and has good IS but not as sharp as the 17-55 and because made for FF is bigger than needed.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Trustee

One lesson I've learned over the years is: VIDEO LOVES IS.

Image Stabilisation on any lens except perhaps superwides.

Simply loving the Canon 24-105 f4 - did a recent job, 9 days shooting, was on the camera for about 80% of the time. F4 doesn't sound much, but hey - I use the kit lens at f8 most of the time.

Would concur that the kit lens will do many jobs well. You're not going to extract the full benefits of a big sensor camera, but you'll bring home great shots and can almost make the FS700 a R&G camera (just need to tame the viewfinder chimney).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta