Questions about customizing the Picture Profile at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Questions about customizing the Picture Profile

Here's a few questions about customizing the picture quality in Picture Profile.
1.Does the detail level sharpen the image or does it do just what it says bring out more detail or both?
2.Is the color phase used to adjust for skin tones kind of like what the color tone does in the Canon 7D picture profile?
3. I noticed while playing around with color depth that it seems to darken or lighten colors is that right? what is the purpose to adjust color depth is it to dial in an overall look?
4.Finally for white balance there are two settings to choose from LB-CC (film type) or R-B (video type) normally which one would I use and why? Seems like LB-CC can be compared to white balance shift in the Canon 7D . I know the FS700 can't be compared to the 7D but I'm trying to get a sense of what these useful functions do. It's kind of hard to notice some of these subtle changes on a Zacuto EVF but that's all I had to work with.

thanks.
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Questions about customizing the Picture Profile

Hi,
As far as I know detail level is just sharpens the image (better bring it down)
Color Phase is like saturation on the 7d
Sergiu Macarescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Detail correction boosts the contrast in the image around edges. It does this by adding a dark edge to areas of coarse detail. It does not change the resolution of the image, just the apparent sharpness by increasing localised contrast. The higher the contrast in an image the sharper it looks. Crushing the blacks in an image will make it look sharper as you increase the contrast.

Colour phase alters the hue of the entire image, not just skin tones, it shifts the image between yellow/green and orange/red. It provides a coarse color adjustment.

Colour depth does indeed adjust the brightness of coloured objects. Most colour adjustments adjust the saturation, but on the FS cameras they adjust the luminance of the coloured object which has the effect of making the colour look relatively more or less intense. You have to watch these settings as it can actually cause adjusted colours to over or under expose relative to non adjusted colours.

I normally use LB-CC as this shifts the white balance while also compensating for any brightness change that might also occur. The R-B shift keeps the Green channel static and then alters just the red and blue channels to shift the white balance. Extreme adjustments can result in a green tint.

Last edited by Alister Chapman; January 17th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I try to get as close as possible to the look I want in camera and then tweak it a little in post. thanks Alister for taking the time to explain it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta